• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR 15 .22LR Conversion Kits - GTG?

I have been eying a CMMG .22 LR conversion kit recently. Barrel on the upper has a 1/7 twist rate and I would be using primarily bulk federal ammo.

Anybody have any experience with CMMG or other brand kits?

Reliability? Accuracy?

I have the CMMG conversion kit, with probably 1000 rounds through it without a single issue. I’ve only shot it with mini mags, so can’t say how well it does with anything else. It won’t shoot small groups, but for hitting steel at 50 & 100 yds it’s a blast. Also makes for a good conversation piece at the range.

I have the CMMG kit as well and my experience has been the same. It’s been flawless for thousands of rounds. Mine are almost exclusively suppressed which makes everything dirtier. Everything from subs to supers have run flawless. Do it!

CMMG makes quality products.

I had their 22 upper and was pleased with it. Traded it to a friend for some parts I wanted so his kid could enjoy it. The upper they design specifically for .22 has a 1:16 twist rate, but uses the same "bolt carrier group". For grins I dropped the BCG into one of my other uppers, (a standard 1:7 or 1:8), and it ran fine. I shot it on the pistol range at my club at 25 and 50 yards. Accuracy was "okay".

I have two. Definitely more accurate with dedicated .22 upper with the correct twist rate. I consistently shot mid 230s out of 250 at Appleseeds with it. Only shot CCI SV in them One of them after a several 1000 rounds had broken firing pin but easy to replace. Lots of fun.

I used to shoot mine with my regular upper.

People told me that 22 can clog the gas tube.

I recently bought a Colt upper without a BCG that I will be using from now on with my CMMG BCG.

It is very enjoyable to shoot.

The 10 round mags make me appreciate every round.

I bring my steel target and set it out but the rifle does not seem super accurate.

It is great fun though and 5x more affordable to shoot.

It could pay for itself in one day.

I grabbed a CMMG from Primary Arms last fall; on sale for $149 with 3 25rd mags. The thing runs flawlessly, a lot of fun to shoot

Any benefit getting a conversion kit over just buying an M&P15-22? I always intended to buying M&P but never really thought of getting one of these full conversion kits with the dedicated upper. Seems expensive relative to just buying MP15-22.

Any benefit getting a conversion kit over just buying an M&P15-22? I always intended to buying M&P but never really thought of getting one of these full conversion kits with the dedicated upper. Seems expensive relative to just buying MP15-22.

If you have upgraded your trigger or anything on the lower. With a 15/22 you are limited to what you can do, trigger will work, but then it is an added expense.
I have both, I like both. My .22 upper feels more like a proper rifle that shoots .22, the 15/22 feels like a .22 because it is so light

Last edited:
Agree with previous posts. The CMMG 22 conversion kit is a blast and with current ammo prices makes a pretty good training aid. Not anywhere near as accurate as a dedicated 22 LR upper with a proper twist rate barrel, but good enough for 50 yard steel drills. I’ve handled a M&P 15-22 and it doesn’t feel anything like any of my ARs, so from a training point of view I think I prefer the CMMG conversion or a dedicated 22 LR upper.

Recommendation from experience... Don't use the conversion mags from CMMG, the feed lips are plastic and all three of mine broke away after only 3-4 uses. They still function ok but the piece that broke off lodged itself in the FCG and caused a malfunction. I only use mags from "Blackdog AR-15 .22 Sonic Weld X-Form Magazines w/ Stainless Steel Feed Lips" I can't supply a link because all the tinfoil hats will jump all over me for it.

Any of you guys using a CMMG kit with a SSAE trigger? I am reading that the hammer may not be the preferred shape

I'm of the opinion of if you want a great .22, get the 15-22, it is super light and fun, reliable etc etc. Go for the performance center version if you are going to get all into supreme accuracy. A 15-22 is built to be a .22 so is a better rifle in that caliber than any mil spec AR conversion can be. The mags absolutely kick ass too, waaaay better than 10-22 mags to load.

If you insist on this being a training weapon (and I would still question how training on .22 LR is really that pertinent) then do a conversion/upper.

My only beef with the 15-22 is kinda like the M&P 10, S&W changed stuff just for the sake of changing stuff. They could've easily built an upper with mil spec dimensions, dropped it onto a polymer lower, dimensioned mil spec but with the buffer tube molded 1-piece how they did it, designed the mags around mil spec wells, and it would've been the same rifle just with an upper you could put on anything. Instead they made a mostly proprietary design, however it is a great design nonetheless.

Not so good on 1 in 7 or 1 in 9, they can lead up. Back in the day, a bunch of us class 3 shooters at the club had the Ciener ones. No leading with 1 in 12 m16 barrels. We did break a lot of parts. Firing pin, bounce weight, auto connector, extractor. You name a part, I broke it.

I have the Performance Center 15-22. Went to NDZ Performance for upgrades. It now has the same handguard and trigger as my AR, ambi safety and BAD lever.
Steel rods in the buttstock battery tubes helped balance gun and brought weight to within a couple ounces.

Back
Top Bottom