• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 .223 Powder (Hodgdon H335 and CFE223)

Searched around and found some vague threads here on it, but figured I would start one seeing as how supplies are rapidly dwindling.

Went into my local gun store and found a huge supply of powder- I have been using IMR 4064 but it meters like crap (extruded rod). I was looking at some Hodgdon spherical powder, namely H335 and CFE223. If anyone has used either of these before, can you comment on how it meters, and how it shoots?

H335 meters beautifully and shoots the same. If you can find it, WC844 is the same thing in bulk and a great cost savings. I've not used CFE223 but hear good things about it.

H335 meters very well and if you found it locally at a decent price buy some. H335 w/ 55gr Hornady FMJ is my go-to range ammo.

An often overlooked, but excellent powder for the AR-15 is Ramshot Tac. Ive used it with great results. It isn't as clean as Varget, but it works at least as good as BLC2.

I'm going to Riverview at lunchtime today to see what they've got- I'll report back with my findings. They have a ton of powder there though, just not sure exactly what they have. If I can do it I'll take a picture and post it up.

Well, they didn't have any of those powders haha. Here are a few pictures of what they DID have...

View attachment 51975View attachment 51976

I see they have Accurate powders, but I don't see any 2230 there. I've just started loading .223 with AA2230, and it's a nice free-flowing ball powder. When I was searching for powders to use for .223 in a progressive press, the 2 most common recommendations I found were AA2230 and H335.

Back
Top Bottom