AR-15: 10" free float hand guard while having a removable gas block

Here's my current situations:

1.) Waiting on barrel to arrive - 16" with carbine gas system
2.) I want a free float hand guard that covers the gas block (10" length). I currently like the look/pricing of Midwest Industries Gen 2 T series.
3.) I want to be able to install/remove said gas block AFTER I have welded on my muzzle brake.

So far the only 2-piece low profile gas block I can find is the YHM specter block, but it seems that will only fit under the YHM hand guards. It may barely fit under the MI Gen 1 T-series hand guards.

Does anybody know of a gas block that can be installed/removed after a brake is pinned/welded and is less than 1.3" diameter?

Any other suggestion on combinations? The reason I want to do this is so I can transfer hand guards and gas block between uppers if I want.

if it has regular GI A2 block you can simply cut-off sight post legs and be done.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=566557

images

9237Rt_gas_block.jpg

Last edited:
That would work if the barrel he ordered comes with a FSB installed.. I took it as he is getting a barrel only and is looking for a low pro gas block that can be installed after the muzzle device is welded on first?

Yeah, it's a bare barrel from the ESS group buy.

I know my options widen drastically if I just add something on before welding/pinning. I'm looking to do something removable AFTER a weld/pin (without destroying the gas block).

Yeah, it's a bare barrel from the ESS group buy.

I know my options widen drastically if I just add something on before welding/pinning. I'm looking to do something removable AFTER a weld/pin (without destroying the gas block).

Mike, the real question is: "Why do you need to be difficult and pin/weld the muzzle device before you assemble this barrel assembly/upper??? LOL [wink]

Mike, the real question is: "Why do you need to be difficult and pin/weld the muzzle device before you assemble this barrel assembly/upper??? LOL [wink]

The real question is why do I live in MA!

I don't HAVE to, but it would be nice to be able to remove the setup and transfer to another upper/barrel should I want to in the future.

Back
Top Bottom