AR 10 meets a hot loaded hand load.

Wow I've never seen mag well so skeletonized. Impressive. What is the spring below the rifle? Mag spring? And mag parts?

Curious to know

What headstamp brass
How many times it had been reloaded
whether the brass was trimmed, before reloading
Whether the web was damaged during depriming
Whether the correct powder was used for that caliber and what powder was used.
Whether the reloads were crimped to prevent possible setback

Hope no injuries were incurred. Time build a new rifle.🙁

So many problems could have been the issue, as stated above. Powder, quantity, brass quality......
Lots of unburned powder went everywhere and ignited after the kaboom. Arms were burnt a little. You can see burn marks on the carpet below the rifle.

So many problems could have been the issue, as stated above. Powder, quantity, brass quality......
Lots of unburned powder went everywhere and ignited after the kaboom. Arms were burnt a little. You can see burn marks on the carpet below the rifle.
The unburned powder is most likely from a round in the magazine that got decapitated. There wouldn't be much if any "unburned" powder from a chambered round after a kaboom like that.

Also curious if there was a squib prior to the kaboom round and it obstructed the bore just ahead of the chamber.

Shit like this is why, that golden rule we all heard from our dad's and all the old timers...never ever shoot or trust someone elses reloads, especially in your own guns. I loved my father but man when he got older there's no f***ing way I'd have shot his reloads.

You're friend should break down the rest of those rounds. Curious what the powder looks like. I think it may be tough to distinguish rifle vs pistol powders aside from coarse stick powders etc.

The case clearly detonated at the base. The base is still stuck in the bolt and the upper portion is still stuck in the chamber. If it was powder overcharge, the bolt and/or barrel would show failure on the locking lugs. Not a bore obstruction because if that were the case the lugs would definitely fail.

This would lead me to believe the most likely explanation is the reloader didn't notice a light base ring on the brass indicating a case separation failure was eminent due to case fatigue.

Secondary guess would be the case wasn't trimmed/resized properly and fired slightly out if battery.

It's also possible both of the above were present together.

Back
Top Bottom