AR-10 Lower Question(s)

Looks good, except for:

"FFL
Products require a Federal Firearms License to be on file. If we don't have a FFL for you, your order will be put on hold until it is received. Please email [email protected], fax 641-623-8143 or mail a clear signed copy to: Attn: FFL Dept, 200 S. Front Street, Montezuma, IA 50171. You must be 18 years of age or older except in states that require an individual to be 21 to purchase Rifles and Shotguns also 21 years of age or older to purchase handguns, Lower Receivers, Suppressors. "

The lower is the serialized part, it has to be transferred through an FFL. They even offer a list at check out, I just bought a replica AR15 and it had a bunch of FFLs near me.

Luckily for me, this project is something I plan on in the future, probably after I've moved to a free state. Will give me a lot of time to sift through recommendations and come up with the best possible build components.

Just to give you an idea of what's possible, even with a budget build on an Aero upper/lower combo:

6-5-cm-win-match-jpg.171066

Center group with Hornady Match 6.5 Creedmoor. Upper left 'bughole' is actually a 5-shot 100 yard group with 140 SMK's. Smallest group I have ever shot.

m5-2-jpg.170653

Project started with a NES group buy port cover. Hell, once I spent money on that may as well finish the rifle:D. Barrel is a 20" Ballistic Advantage premium series which was only ~$300 at the time I bought it, has since been black cerakoted. The only more expensive parts are the JP high pressure bolt, Geissele trigger, and JP free float tube. Scope is a Leupold LRP. I completed and registered this about a week before all the Healy 7/20 nonsense started.

Just to give you an idea of what's possible, even with a budget build on an Aero upper/lower combo:

Center group with Hornady Match 6.5 Creedmoor. Upper left 'bughole' is actually a 5-shot 100 yard group with 140 SMK's. Smallest group I have ever shot.

Project started with a NES group buy port cover. Hell, once I spent money on that may as well finish the rifle:D. Barrel is a 20" Ballistic Advantage premium series which was only ~$300 at the time I bought it, has since been black cerakoted. The only more expensive parts are the JP high pressure bolt, Geissele trigger, and JP free float tube. Scope is a Leupold LRP. I completed and registered this about a week before all the Healy 7/20 nonsense started.

Nice build. You run a HIGH scope!

^ Very nice! Is that a Luth stock?

Yep, Luth. Small company, really nice people, great stock for reasonable money.

Nice build. You run a HIGH scope!

Not really as high as it looks in the pic. Have to have a little clearance for the front objective. Bit of a mutt gun, but I'd run it in a head to head accuracy contest against any high end AR-308 based rifle.

KC Small Arms (located at the Yankee Hill Plane in Easthampton) did have a selection of YHM uppers the one and only time I visited them. It might be worth a call to them to see if they might have something to fit your needs.

If I remember right, a S&W AR-10 is not compatible with either DPMS or Armalite uppers.

I just found out a DPMS pattern (rounded backend) may not fit together. I needed some dremel action to take maybe 25/1000” off of the mating to get the takedown pin to go. I took my time and made several attempts until I have a nice snug fit (no slop) but the pin can be installed remove without tapping with a punch.

JP (as in John Paul, president of JP Rifles) told me that unlike the AR15, AR10s uppers and lowers do not enjoy universal cross-brand compatibility, and some combinations could be dangerous (no details on that).

I have had an upper/lower from the same manufacturer where the pin holes were off by .001 or so rendering the pair unusable; an issue quickly resolved by the vendor. One increases the chances of this happening by ordering the upper and lower on different dates, even if they supposedly match.

The upper is the problem, it’s a left handed upper with BCG in the DPMS low pattern from Next Level Armament. I’m sure that an AR-heavy being already an odd duck - make it a lefty and you get weird results.

Thinking about undertaking my first build. Would like a genuine Armalite AR-10. Got a price of $499 for the stripped lower. Is that Ok in todays market? I know it won't be cheap but I also don't want to feel like the new guy in the prison shower.

@Daddy Mac I think normally Armalites run about $300. Today, if it were in front of me I’d pay the 5. Just know if you’re getting an A or B model as the mags and upper receivers are different.

Back
Top Bottom