• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Approved roster vs Large capacity roster

Approved means that a MA FFL can sell it to a MA LTC holder, if the FFL chooses.

Large capacity is just large capacity. A list of guns considered "large capacity".

Clear as mud lol.

Broadly speaking, weapons on the large capacity roster cannot be possessed by people with FID cards or the soon to be extinct LTC-B.

Firearms Identification Card (FID): Permits the purchase, possession and transportation of non-large-capacity rifles, shotguns and ammunition.

I asked because the large capacity roster is a pretty incomplete list. There is obviously a large number of large capacity handguns missing. So, I was curious why those specific guns are on the list. Because even though the hi power is on the list, and I have an class A LTC, I cannot own a hi power with 13 round magazines.

I asked because the large capacity roster is a pretty incomplete list. There is obviously a large number of large capacity handguns missing. So, I was curious why those specific guns are on the list. Because even though the hi power is on the list, and I have an class A LTC, I cannot own a hi power with 13 round magazines.

Why wouldn't you be able to own a hi power with 13 round magazines? Find one that was in state before 98, or a dealer who doesn't care. Just make sure the mags are preban.

Why wouldn't you be able to own a hi power with 13 round magazines? Find one that was in state before 98, or a dealer who doesn't care. Just make sure the mags are preban.

I know I could do that. My question is the purpose of the high capacity roster.

Question: will the "large capacity" roster no longer be in force once all LTC-Bs are expired?

Doesn't make a functional difference, really... maybe they'll get rid of the handgun portion of it, since you can't legally get handguns with FIDs anyways. There really is nothing to be "enforced". It's a list provided as a guideline to dealers and people selling guns so they don't sell an unwashed person something that is large capacity.

-Mike

Yes you can, actually, contrary to what every other gun shop is going to tell you. Handgun compliance has nothing to do with whether something is legal to own or buy, or not.

The other list is only relevant WRT sales of a gun to an unwashed person (someone with a B or an FID) which is like 3% (maybe?) of the gun owners in MA at this point, and most of these people aren't buying much of anything.

My advice is to forget about both of these lists, as the relevancy to your existence as a gun owner with an LTC-A in MA is minimal to nonexistent.

-Mike

I know I could do that. My question is the purpose of the high capacity roster.

It provides a way to determine what long guns may be sold to an FID holder as non-large capacity.

It also serves to show what handguns may be sold to an LTC-B holder as non-large capacity. This will become irrelevant when existing LTC-Bs expire as only LTC-As are provided for in the current law.

How do you or a LEO tell if a mag is preban? I have yet to see a serial number on a mag...

I believe it has to do with the mfg date of the firearm it was made for. Other than that I wouldn't know. I do know the M&P 9 17 rd mag is not and is illegal to own.

M_P'a did not exist before 1994 so the magazines are post ban.
Some companies did not exist before 1994, so the magazines if more than ten roumds, would not be legal in the PDRM .
Examples are Magpul and Tapco.
ggboy

I own 2 Browning Hi Powers and I have hi cap mags. All perfectly legal as I owned them prior to the current law and my mags are pre/ban. I could sell them to you FTF except they are not for sale.

How do you or a LEO tell if a mag is preban? I have yet to see a serial number on a mag...

Depends on the magazine. A magazine marked "Law Enforcement Only" is clearly post-ban. Some magazines have design changes that clearly indicate it is post-ban (like a Glock mag with the ambi cut).

So what is it Mike? How do we know? I'm curious. I only go by what I read and others tell me. Yes I am mis informed at times. [laugh]

So what is it Mike? How do we know? I'm curious. I only go by what I read and others tell me. Yes I am mis informed at times. [laugh]

As M1911 said it depends largely on which gun the mag is for, and whether the magazines have certain features. Some indicators include:
- Date stamps/markings. These are pretty obvious.
- When the model of gun was first produced. If the gun didn't exist before the ban, mags for that gun can't be pre-ban (the Smith and Wesson M&P 9, for example, which was first produced in 2005).
- Law enforcement/military only markings. When the Federal AWB was in effect (1994-2004), newly-made mags over 10 rounds had markings indicating they were only for sale to LE/Mil. Mags with these markings are post-ban.
- Some manufacturers stopped making magazines before the ban went into effect, so all of their mags are pre-ban.
- Similarly, some manufacturers started making magazine after the ban went into effect, so all of their mags are post-ban (for example, Magpul AR-15 magazines are all post-ban).

Some magazines can't be definitively identified as either pre- or post-ban, usually because they were made both pre- and post-ban in similar configurations (e.g. certain Glock magazines)

Okay, perhaps I should have clarified that mags for newer guns designed to take specific, proprietary mags that fit only in that gun and don't take any older mags... Are post ban.

+1, a lot of new .223 rifles can accept standard AR mags, i.e. pre-ban mags. Or 7.62x39 AKs

Emphasis on AR mags, though. The AR platform existed before the ban. I think that's what mlaboss is getting at.

If it's a propriety new design mag designed for a post-ban gun, then it's post-ban.

Back
Top Bottom