Approved for RI LTC. Work restriction question.

So what does an LTC restricted for "work purposes only" actually mean? I live in MA and have an unrestricted LTC there. I work in Boston but would like to travel from my girlfriends house in east providence with my firearm. Does this LTC allow that? What constitutes work purposes? Or Do I need to be clocked in in order to carry?

usually, 'for work only' means you can carry while working as a security guard, Brinks guard, etc. If you're none of those, RI basically screwed you.

So what does an LTC restricted for "work purposes only" actually mean? I live in MA and have an unrestricted LTC there. I work in Boston but would like to travel from my girlfriends house in east providence with my firearm. Does this LTC allow that? What constitutes work purposes? Or Do I need to be clocked in in order to carry?
I hate to have to give you a smart-ass answer, but nobody really knows. It's not in the statute, it's a policy decision on the part of the AG. I doubt there is a definition of it anywhere. That's how they want it, the uncertainty works to their advantage so that permit holders are so scared they don't carry.

You could try asking the AG's office for a clarification, or alternately you could become a test case for the RI Supreme Court. Then maybe we could get some judicial clarification.

Yeah when I go to pick it up I will ask explicitly what the true meaning is. If it's only for clocked in work, then it means nothing to me as I'm already protected by federal law because I drive an armored truck.

Yeah when I go to pick it up I will ask explicitly what the true meaning is. If it's only for clocked in work, then it means nothing to me as I'm already protected by federal law because I drive an armored truck.

If the state honors federal law,then why did they give you a work only permit?When you go talk to them ask them about the federal law on armored cars,and you working under that law in thier state.

If the state honors federal law,then why did they give you a work only permit?When you go talk to them ask them about the federal law on armored cars,and you working under that law in thier state.

If it is only a "clocked in" LTC, then it's redundant. Fed law > State law. The whole reason I went through the RI process was so that I could CCW off duty, while in RI. I'm interested to see what they say.

I have sporting/employment restriction on mine, I was told by the IO that I could carry while on the job including traveling to and from work. Not saying it's the same in OP's case but just sharing what I was told when I asked.

Back
Top Bottom