• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Applying for LTC with significant other

Hi All,

My significant other and I are both applying for our LTC. Someone told us that it is beneficial to apply at the same time and go through the process together (interview, fingerprints, etc.). Is this true? If so, we want to make sure we do everything together, but if that's not the case, then we will go through the process separately. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-up question: When I make the call to schedule the interview, should I tell them that both of us our applying and needing to make an appointment, or should we make the calls and appointments separately?

Thank you,
CT

Last edited:
Makes no sense to me, except that you could carpool to the police station and save some gas. It certainly won't get you any preferential treatment from the state.

The person who told you this: what did s/he claim was beneficial about doing it that way?

Hi All,

My significant other and I are both applying for our LTC. Someone told us that it is beneficial to apply at the same time and go through the process together (interview, fingerprints, etc.). Is this true? If so, we want to make sure we do everything together, but if that's not the case, then we will go through the process separately. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Connie
Well it doesn't hurt to go around the same time, but the licencing officer likely may need to process one person at a time it would likely be consecutive rather than simultaneously for the interview, fingerprints, etc.

Though you will want to get the licenses in hand the same time so you both can go get your first guns later that day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The flip side of this is if you stagger the applications (by a year or two) if there's a lapse/delay in renewal, the other ltc will still keep everything legal until the first one comes through.

The flip side of this is if you stagger the applications (by a year or two) if there's a lapse/delay in renewal, the other ltc will still keep everything legal until the first one comes through.
Flip flip side, you have time where you have guns in the house and someone who can't have access to them. Can't have stray brass rolling around the car. If something happens while the licensed person is out of the house, no firearms to defend with.

He said that we'd have a better chance if we went as a couple because we're presenting ourselves as a unified front/people who want to protect their home together. I wasn't sure if this was true, which is why I am seeking confirmation on the forum. He is a longtime firearms owner and I have 0 experience with firearms applications and processes [thinking].

Last edited:
He said that we'd have a better chance if we went as a couple because we're presenting ourselves as a unified front/people who want to protect their home together. I wasn't sure if this was true, which is why I am seeking confirmation on the forum. He is a longtime firearms owner and I have 0 experience with firearms applications and processes [thinking].

Absolutely horseshit. Someone's feeding you the smelly smelly.

Just apply and the licensing officer will let you know how to proceed from there.

Last edited:
My wife and I just received our LTC's at the same time in October. We went together. We were processed together and we received our LTC's at the same time. Both unrestricted. Don't know if it helped or not. Here in Dracut you fill out a form in the PD lobby so thats how it all started. They called her and scheduled both interviews since they figured we were married by our information. It didn't hurt and the Police Officer didn't mind getting both done at the same time.

Last edited:

Unless they were born about the same time of the year they may have a little room for delays.

My wife and I just received our LTC's at the same time in October. We went together. We were processed together and we received our LTC's at the same time. Both unrestricted. Don't know if it helped or not. Here in Dracut you fill out a form in the PD lobby so thats how it all started. They called her and scheduled both interviews since they figured we were married by our information. It didn't hurt and the Police Officer didn't mind getting both done at the same time.

Good to know! Thanks!

Flip flip side, you have time where you have guns in the house and someone who can't have access to them. Can't have stray brass rolling around the car. If something happens while the licensed person is out of the house, no firearms to defend with.

Sorry boiler Im with Noxin on this one. You can have all the stray brass rolling around wherever is spent its nothing its scrap. You are more likely to have a licensing renewal issue than a home invasion which means neither of you may be licensed at the same time in the home and have to find someone to house your stuff during renewal /and/or both of you will be without a permit during that home invasion scenario. AND FOR the OP licensing authorities can be sweet as pie or an angry civilian who thinks they are PD or a cop that hates applicants. You won't get a feel for it til you get there. I wouldn't apply at the same time just in case if you share the same last name as some dumbass could mess up the data entry if they did it at the same time time. And for the love of god please dont ever use significant other (its like saying this lady/guyI live with) its like the goto forum bland description, I kept waiting for you to use besties or adorbs or some other my little pony rainbow sticker lingo.......... I feel better now.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Sorry boiler Im with Noxin on this one. You can have all the stray brass rolling around wherever is spent its nothing its scrap. You are more likely to have a licensing renewal issue than a home invasion which means neither of you may be licensed at the same time in the home and have to find someone to house your stuff during renewal /and/or both of you will be without a permit during that home invasion scenario. AND FOR the OP licensing authorities can be sweet as pie or an angry civilian who thinks they are PD or a cop that hates applicants. You won't get a feel for it til you get there. I wouldn't apply at the same time just in case if you share the same last name as some dumbass could mess up the data entry if they did it at the same time time. And for the love of god please dont ever use significant other (its like saying this lady/guyI live with) its like the goto forum bland description, I kept waiting for you to use besties or adorbs or some other my little pony rainbow sticker lingo.......... I feel better now.

By legal definition, ammunition components require an LTC/FID. Since you can reload, it isn't a stretch to call a spent casing an ammunition component as opposed to scrap.

As for the rest of your post....LOL, just LOL

And for the love of god please dont ever use significant other (its like saying this lady/guyI live with) its like the goto forum bland description, I kept waiting for you to use besties or adorbs or some other my little pony rainbow sticker lingo.......... I feel better now.

Oddly I find myself in agreement. Have society regressed to the point where we can't use gf/bf/spouse/fiance?

On a more relevant note, my town is green and you're pretty much guaranteed unrestricted. But! It'll take 10-12 weeks to process. So there is no way to predict how your CoP or licensing officer will handle the applications.

Lots of wrong info here.

Go together, it won't hurt anything and they can ask her in person if you still beat her or when did you stop! [wink] [rofl]

As for renewals, they are on birthdays so overlap is quite probable.

As for getting stuff out of the house on a renewal after expiration, that is pure BS. MGL protects you as long as you applied prior to expiration, the PD enters it prior to expiration and you get a receipt from the PD. Grace period in those cases is infinite.

I was wondering how long it would take you to chime in. I will say you sound a tiny bit like Oprah " and you get an infinite grace period and YOU get an infinite grace period" Its like you have infinite grace periods just lying around the house or something.

I was wondering how long it would take you to chime in. I will say you sound a tiny bit like Oprah " and you get an infinite grace period and YOU get an infinite grace period" Its like you have infinite grace periods just lying around the house or something.

MGL in 2014 changed from 90 days grace period for renewal to "grace period until issued or denied", in other words it is infinite for those PDs that take 6-12 months to process renewals!

MGL in 2014 changed from 90 days grace period for renewal to "grace period until issued or denied", in other words it is infinite for those PDs that take 6-12 months to process renewals!
Tell that to the guy in gardner who the police refused to process his application in a timely manner, his license lapsed, and they showed up to confiscate all this firearms.

Not only is it plausible, it ****ing happened. How's that bullshit for you?

Tell that to the guy in gardner who the police refused to process his application in a timely manner, his license lapsed, and they showed up to confiscate all this firearms.

Not only is it plausible, it ****ing happened. How's that bullshit for you?

That's a setup (revenge?) and not the norm. There is also a way to find out if it was input into MIRCS timely to see if you are at risk w/o disposing of everything.

Some LE agencies indeed do illegal things, your example is one of them.

i talked to a l.o. about this, good guy,
and he said he has had marriages break up due to this.

hubby and wife come in together,and he found and old d.u.i on the wife , "who was having a nite out with the girls, "

got bagged with a guy in the car, and never told hubby about the episode.

the cat was innocently let out of the bag, and it went downhill from there.

My wife and used the same fingerprints--learned about it on Mission Impossible

It won't matter. Just apply at your convenience, together or separately. The licensing officer doesn't care.

What town?

Yeah, I was reading through the whole thread and it took until page 3 to find someone asking what town.

I would agree with Len, go together if you want. It doesn't hurt anything, though I'm pretty sure it won't have any positive effect on the LO either. If SO wants you there with her, you go. Brownie points for you.

Back
Top Bottom