APPLYING FOR C&R

glockstar

NES Member
I am going to be applying for my C&R and was wondering what experiences others have had with this process. How long does it really take to recieve it and how easy is it to buy C&R firearms online through say GunBroker etc. Any information or advice would be a big help.

Thanks, G.S

I am going to be applying for my C&R and was wondering what experiences others have had with this process. How long does it really take to recieve it and how easy is it to buy C&R firearms online through say GunBroker etc. Any information or advice would be a big help.

Thanks, G.S

Check out this thread for everything you ever wanted to know about C&Rs, including wait times.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/104-EVERY-SHOOTER-Should-Get-a-C-amp-R-FFL!?highlight=Curio

Looking at the above thread, it looks like it took less than a month for my C&R to show up. As for purchases online, I've had nothing but good experiences. While using gunbroker, make sure you PM the seller and confirm they'll ship to MA, before you bid. Some folks just won't ship here... regardless if it's legal or not.

Last edited:
It's like getting a LTC except a thousand times easier.

Mine took a month or so. It's a great feeling ordering a gun online and having the UPS man deliver it to your door.

I don't know why I haven't done this sooner. So my understanding is if the gun is 50yrs. old then its good to go, thats alot of posibilities! Going to need a bigger safe :)

Great discounts at Brownells/Midway etc.

never heard of that!!!!!
how do you go about getting those discount?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why I haven't done this sooner. So my understanding is if the gun is 50yrs. old then its good to go, thats alot of posibilities! Going to need a bigger safe :)

no.

it's a list only thing.
what's on the list is OK for C&R.
although some guns that are listed but were modified from their original config are disqualified. there are other rules too. read up on paperwork that comes with you C&R.

no.

it's a list only thing.
what's on the list is OK for C&R.
although some guns that are listed but were modified from their original config are disqualified. there are other rules too. read up on paperwork that comes with you C&R.

mike, I believe glockstar is correct. If the gun is 50+ years old, it falls under curio & relic guidelines.

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;

Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

The above quote comes directly from the ATF website, here. As long as the gun meets any one of the three categories it is considered a curio or relic.

The last time I checked the C&R list I saw several guns that were not yet 50 years old, but they were listed as C&R because of some unique quality.

glockstar, keep in mind that all other state and local laws apply, even if the gun is a C&R. Also, make sure that you keep records of your acquisitions and disposals in the approved format. I believe a search of NES will turn up several threads explaining how to keep the records. It's not that hard, but you need to be aware of the paperwork requirements.

Enjoy your C&R!

Took me a month to get, cost $30 and I've already saved that in discounts from dealers. You pretty much send an email asking how to Apply for the c&r dealer account and they send you instructions.

I've found I need to ask people on gunbroker prior to bidding on gubbroker and some don't want to deal with ma and insist in an 01ffl only.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

The only caveat about "50+", is military surplus arms.

Contrary to the rather plain wording of the law, ATF regs say that any military arms must be in "original military configuration" to be C&R, even if they're 50+.

Stupid, I know, but then so are most of ATF's regs.

The only caveat about "50+", is military surplus arms.

Contrary to the rather plain wording of the law, ATF regs say that any military arms must be in "original military configuration" to be C&R, even if they're 50+.

Stupid, I know, but then so are most of ATF's regs.

This is why buying sporterized guns to restore can get tricky. You buy a non-eligible Mauser with a cut stock and missing handguard, put a period correct stock on it, is it now C&R eligible again?

Thanks, G.S

Glockstar, all I can tell you about time is it takes more than a week ;)

When you fill out your app, pay close attention to the address line. They slip county in there and I almost missed it. And don't forget to also send the certification of citizenship, or whatever it's called. You'll find it on the ATF site where you get the C&R app.

A friend gave me a Brownell's catalog that includes dealer pricing. Some stuff is significantly cheaper. I hear shipping can get you, but still.

You buy a non-eligible Mauser with a cut stock and missing handguard, put a period correct stock on it, is it now C&R eligible again?

Yes, if that returns it to original military configuration.

If you buy a Bubbafied sporter, it's not C&R, so you don't have to log it in. If you restore it and then sell it, you would have to log it in ("Not C&R when acquired" in the notes field), then out to the transferee.

Back
Top Bottom