Applying for a MA dealer license while FFL is pending?

duza9999

NES Member
Good evening gents, I recently just applied for my importer license in Fall River, but the ATF said it likely would take 60 days on their end which I can live with. However given the uniqueness of MA’s requirements of having a separate state dealer license which takes a significant amount of time to process, is it possible to submit your state dealer application without having your FFL number yet?

Perhaps I’m just blind, but I didn’t see anywhere on the state form which asks for my FFL number (https://www.mass.gov/media/9611/download) any input from past or existing FFL’s would be greatly appreciated. Than, you-Mat

FFL first. It's needed on the application. FFL not needed for ammo only. You can get all three state licenses (dealer, gunsmith, ammo) for $200 for three years. I forget the state license form # I used eons ago, but someone will chime in. Jack.
Gotcha, I shall twiddle my thumbs for an extra 2-3 months then lol 😂😅

Thank you for the quick and accurate response Jack.-Mathew

Gotcha, I shall twiddle my thumbs for an extra 2-3 months then lol 😂😅

Thank you for the quick and accurate response Jack.-Mathew
Well, sometimes you can goose them along. One time I had difficulty getting an app't to get the state license renewed. Took a while, but I did get to sit down with the COP. I told him that ATF required me to be in compliance with state law or I would be a felon. That worked. Another time my state license was about to run out. The COP (very green town) just took a blank form, assigned a random number to it and signed it. He said that if anyone gave me shit, to send them to him. Of course, that was "back when". Jack.

Got fingerprinted yesterday and background check has started for MA dealer license. Still waiting for interview with atf, however apparently my app is at the Boston office, thus I expect I should be getting my interview in the next two weeks.

Biggest surprise of the state licensing was when the officer said I would require a CCW for even simple possession regardless of the state dealer license. And also said the same thing when it comes to MG’s (except that I would need the stand alone green card) regardless of the fact that the state dealer license says for sale, rent, or lease of rifles, shotguns, pistols and machine guns o_O

All and all the officer was very nice and assisted me with a few errors I had. I find this all fascinating though, as I can clearly comprehend/understand RI GL even as disorganized 11-47-8 is, but MA GL with regards to firearms literally looks like a rat’s nest, and seems to be very contradictory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom