Applying for a LTC-A (ALP) in Waterown?

Hello,
I just joined the forum here and have been enjoying reading all the posts.
I took the basic pistol course at GOAL with Jon Green recently and he recommended that I join, and post some of my questions here.

I am going to apply for a LTC-A and hope to have one issued to me for ALP.
From what I have seen in other posts Watertown is a red town and it is highly likely I will be issued a LTC with restrictions. Why it is still called a license to CARRY when it doesn't allow one to carry I don't really understand.

Jon pointed out that I can apply in Concord where I own a small business, but cautioned that the police chief there may send me to Watertown to apply out of professional courtesy.

My question is should I even bother with Watertown or go right to Concord?
And does anyone have any experience in Concord applying as a business owner?

1. If you can avoid applying in Watertown, do so.

2. License to Carry is just the name of the permit to own, purchase, borrow, etc firearms and ammo. There are no rights, explicit or implied, in the name of the permit i terms of what you can do with the firearms. That is up to the "restrictions" field.

My question is should I even bother with Watertown or go right to Concord?
And does anyone have any experience in Concord applying as a business owner?
Seems worth a phone call - they are generally happy to answer general questions over the phone...

The officer who does the LTC's either works part time or only deals with LTCs part time, I didn't ask which, but you may have to call and leave a message if you don't catch him... When I was dealing with it, they had M,W,F hours for such things...

I have no experience with either town, but my thought on going the Concord route is that if you apply there saying you own a business, you could end up with a restriction that says "only when working", or some such nonsense. I hope that's not the case! Good luck!

I have no experience with either town, but my thought on going the Concord route is that if you apply there saying you own a business, you could end up with a restriction that says "only when working", or some such nonsense. I hope that's not the case! Good luck!

it beats the crap out of fighting tooth and nail for a crappy "Target and Hunting"

Again, just ask - I asked before I applied about their policy on LTC-A restrictions and was told they generally don't...

They aren't going to hunt you down and tag you for life as a trouble maker for asking questions... [wink]

watertown

Good luck. I live in Watertown where I also own a small business. I received the infamous "target and hunting only" restriction on my LTC-A. The detective told me the only way the chief would allow it is if I owned a small business, which I do. On top of that, I have been shooting since I was 10 and I've taken gun safety many times in different states for hunting (shotgunning). I had all my ducks in a row for the preposterous application process -- letters of recommendation, proof of membership at a gun club, spotless record, etc., etc. Still didn't get it.

I'm moving to Concord in july. Hopefully I can get relicensed there without incident when my current one expires. I hope I don't need to be carrying in the next few years.

Watertown is a dead end for an ALP Permit (former resident speaking). Apply in Concord --> if they send you back to Watertown, you're no worse off than you were to begin with.

I'm in Watertown and I've had a restricted license for 17 years. How about that!

If I want to carry in NH, when camping for instance, I have to lock my unloaded gun until I get to where I'm going and then remove said gun from its storage container, load and then holster it, and then do it in reverse before returning to MA.
Watertown has caused it to be more dangerous and fumbling by not "allowing" full citizen rights to self protection that other towns do.

Reciprocity in other states may be a problem also. If carrying in another state that has reciprocity with Massachusetts, will your license be considered valid there if restricted here?

This good resident of Watertown will eventually get out.

H2O Town is a real bitch. I don't know anybody who has ALP here. I moved here 3 years ago after having ALP in Newton since 1984 and I got downgraded to "Employment". Even getting that was a real PITA, with a bunch of extra requirements such as a letter from my boss and retaking of a BFS course, even though the law specifically exempts me from that.
I have a friend who's a life long resident here and he's jealous of me because I actually got one for "employment", while he's been stuck with "T&H" for the last 25+ years. He even took the Chief to court to get ALP and LOST his case.
The licensing officer even told me I was extremely lucky that I was getting what I got, because they don't even give those to gas station, repair shop or convienient store owners. ????
This blew my mind because those are the types of businesses that are more likely than most to get robbed, where the owner stands a higher than normal chance of finding theselves in a position to actually need a gun. [frown]
God forbid anyone should actually violate the rights of a criminal by defending yourself against one.........

Last edited:
I'm a former 20 yr resident of Watertown as i never applied for one in that town my father was only allowed a class B for hunting and sporting, They wouldn't give him a class A LTC ALP. He moved out to central mass and the cop out here was like "why don't you have a Class A no restrictions" My father told him he use to live in watertown, He told him to take a course and a few weeks later he had his Class A ALP. The moral of this story is the closer you live to boston (or any major city) the harder it will be to get a class A ALP. Am I right??

The moral of this story is the closer you live to boston (or any major city) the harder it will be to get a class A ALP. Am I right??

Pretty much.
There are a few "Black Towns" in Western Mass too, but for the most part you're right. Also, Watertown isn't the worst for issuing an LTC, but it's up there. Brookline sucks even more.

I know one fellow who lives in Watertown and has an unrestricted A. He suspects that his status as an attorney is why they gave it to him.

I know one fellow who lives in Watertown and has an unrestricted A. He suspects that his status as an attorney is why they gave it to him.

I believe I am that fellow. The issuing officer stated that the WPD would issue an unrestricted license as a 'professional courtesy.' My wife's LTC was downgraded from an ALP to "target and hunting" when we moved here.

But don't let this exception make you think that 'professional courtesy' will get you far in Watertown. It may have worked for Amicus (you lucky dog), but I know a retired LEO who lives in Watertown, and they wouldn't even issue an ALP license to HIM!

Jon pointed out that I can apply in Concord where I own a small business, but cautioned that the police chief there may send me to Watertown to apply out of professional courtesy.

I would beg, plead, grovel, whatever, to get licensed in Concord.

Watertown sucks for licensing, it's arguably one of the worst issuing authorities in the entire state.

-Mike

I believe I am that fellow.

You are indeed!
Wave.gif

Thanks everyone for all of the advice.
I'll be contacting Concord tomorrow to start the process. Wish me luck.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi all, I am new to the board so forgive me for drumming up an old thread but the title is appropriate.

I'm looking into getting a Class A LTC, ALP. I was curious if anything has changed with the chief as of late? Did the incident in Watertown with the Tsarnaev brothers change anything? I've been thinking about getting my LTC for a while now, but the terrorist incidents have accelerated that thought for me. I work not far from where the shootout was and live just down the street from where the guy was found in the boat, so needless to say it hit home.

Thanks.

Hi all, I am new to the board so forgive me for drumming up an old thread but the title is appropriate.

I'm looking into getting a Class A LTC, ALP. I was curious if anything has changed with the chief as of late? Did the incident in Watertown with the Tsarnaev brothers change anything? I've been thinking about getting my LTC for a while now, but the terrorist incidents have accelerated that thought for me. I work not far from where the shootout was and live just down the street from where the guy was found in the boat, so needless to say it hit home.

Thanks.

Nothing changed, Watertown still sucks. They only thing they proved is that the Watertown PD cant shoot for shit and that if you need them to "protect" you, you are Fu**ed.

Thanks.

News Flash: Watertown is still one of the worst issuing authorities in the entire state.

-Mike

Would one be best off waiting on applying for a Class A if he moved out of Watertown? If you get a restricted Class A in one town and move can you reapply in the new town to get the restrictions removed?

I'm also curious what happened to the OP. Did he get his LTC in Concord after all?

Would one be best off waiting on applying for a Class A if he moved out of Watertown? If you get a restricted Class A in one town and move can you reapply in the new town to get the restrictions removed?

Yes, I did the exact thing when I moved from Liberal Watertown to Shrewsbury. LTC-A restricted to a free Man in Shrewsbury.

I work in Watertown and I would rather live out of a cardboard box on the sidewalks of Waltham (where I currently live and still sucks for licensing) rather than move to and live in Watertown.

Back
Top Bottom