• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Apply for an License to Sell Ammunition to avoid Marsha's stings?

Reptile

NES Member
I'm afraid to ask, but I will anyway.

What makes you say that ?

MASSACHUSETTS FIREARMS DEALER/LICENSE TO SELL AMMUNITION/GUNSMITH LICENSE APPLICATION (from the license application)

Why would you want to do this?

IF my reading of the whole situation is correct you would be declaring yourself as a business, would have to collect sales tax, and report your profit and loss from said business. and possibly make yourself subject to inspections from the state.

Chris, do you REALLY want to stir up that hornet's nest?

MASSACHUSETTS FIREARMS DEALER/LICENSE TO SELL AMMUNITION/GUNSMITH LICENSE APPLICATION (from the license application)

IF my reading of the whole situation is correct you would be declaring yourself as a business, would have to collect sales tax, and report your profit and loss from said business. and possibly make yourself subject to inspections from the state.

excellent points

I'm afraid to ask, but I will anyway.

What makes you say that ?
I think it would be a great new way for her to harass gun owners.

I make so little in taxable income that a couple extra grand in legit income would be worth the effort if I can avoid breaking the ammo selling law.

I'd like to sell some cases now in the hope that in a couple years the prices will come down and I can buy more back.

I think if you earn less than around $8,000 a year you don't owe any tax (after you file).

In fact the tax rate is negative because you get back more than was taken out of your taxes.

You only pay taxes on the profits after all your expenses.

So you could sell $20,000 worth of stuff and if you only have a 10% profit - you only pay tax on $2,000 of income.

I make so little in taxable income that a couple extra grand in legit income would be worth the effort if I can avoid breaking the ammo selling law.

I'd like to sell some cases now in the hope that in a couple years the prices will come down and I can buy more back.

I think if you earn less than around $8,000 a year you don't owe any tax (after you file).

In fact the tax rate is negative because you get back more than was taken out of your taxes.

So you could sell $20,000 worth of stuff and if you only have a 10% profit - you only pay tax on $2,000 of income.

You'll still need to collect/pay sales tax regardless of your personal income. Failing to do that will get you in more trouble than selling ammo private party.

Give an FFL at the Mill a call. There might be someone there with the lic you're looking for and could probably lay out all the pro's and cons of it.

I'd start with @EddieCoyle at Mass Reloading

You beat me to this. But I was going to suggest that he look into renting space at the mill.

All the answers are in Eddie Coyle's $40 class.

Best you stick to just finding and posting weird and interesting articles on here. That is your strength. That is your lot in life. Don’t think about things.

Thanks.

I think Maura has better things to do. That license is for people selling ammo as a business, "for profit" not for private individuals selling personal property to help pay their bills because they lost their job or are working reduced hours due to charlie fakers bullshit restrictions.

To sell ammo in Comminchusetts....in short:
1. Get and FFL (see AFT and MA regs for rules).
2. Assuming you completed step 1....apply for MA Gun Dealer/Ammo Sales and Gunsmith License (Local PD where you have established your FFL in).
3. Assuming the state like you.....do the MA training.
4. If you got to step 3 you will get the MA Licenses.
5. See ammo.

2. Assuming you completed step 1....apply for MA Gun Dealer/Ammo Sales and Gunsmith License (Local PD where you have established your FFL in).
5. See ammo.
yea if you want to make a business out of it. Selling/liquidating personal property for market value is not a business.

5. See ammo.
#2- I believe you only need an FFL-06 to manufacture and sell ammo. Is that correct?

yea if you want to make a business out of it. Selling/liquidating personal property for market value is not a business.
Well, isn't that interesting.

Are you saying I can sell my ammo without a FFL or IF I have a FFL - I could liquidate my ammo?

I'm definitely not in the ammo business - I just want to sell some off.

I'm definitely not in the ammo business - I just want to sell some off.

I think the key is, you’re selling for profit... putting the FFL issue aside for a minute, there are IRS definitions for what constitutes a hobby and what is a business.

If you’re serious about your enterprise, it’s always best to consult an attorney and an accountant to make sure you have all of your ducks in a row.

You previously stated your intent — sell now for profit, to buy more later as prices (*hopefully*) return to ‘normal.’

What you’re suggesting, getting an FFL to be compliant with one aspect of the law, may expose you to other financial and legal liabilities (as others have suggested).

If you’re operating ‘for profit’ you’re engaged in some form of commerce and not as a ‘hobby.’ So best to set up a legal entity, and comply with all aspect of the law.

Back
Top Bottom