• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Applied for my FID yesterday

swatgig

NES Life Member
NES Member
So I had my "interview" for my FID card yesterday. He asked why I wanted an FID when I already have an LTC. I explained that with an FID card, they cannot suspend/revoke my license and take my guns for suitability without going to court first. He said "Are you sure, let me check". He pulled out his copy of Glidden's book, found the appropriate section and said "Oh, you're right. I learned something today".

Does a FID cover handguns?
The First Circuit says it does.

Morin's constitutional argument fails, however, because a Firearm Identification Card ("FID Card"), in conjunction with a permit to purchase, allows one to acquire a firearm and to possess it in one's home, and thus to exercise the Second Amendment rights at issue in the present case. Morin v. Leahy, 862 F. 3d 123 - Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit 2017

Pretty sure ownership In the home was covered. You could not buy one or carry one

Trying to remember. But someone will chime in shortly I hope.
Yes, you could possess handguns in your home with an FID.

Unsure if you could purchase it with only an FID in the late 1960s and before the 1998 law passed, or if you needed one of those unicorns to purchase.

Unsure if you could purchase it with only an FID in the late 1960s and before the 1998 law passed, or if you needed one of those unicorns to purchase.

So as I understand this thread is it still a gray area if you have both an FID and LTC and your LTC is pulled whether your handguns can be seized?

In other words, say you have an FID and an LTC, and own a pump shotgun, pre-Healey AR, and a couple of handguns. If your LTC is revoked, would they only be able to seize the handguns? For that matter, would they be able to seize all magazines for said handguns, or only the magazine in the handgun at the time of seizure? Would they eject ammo already loaded in the handguns at the time of seizure or just take that too?

Since I've spoken with a couple of PDs who all confirmed that in the case of a suspension/revocation/209A (and now ERPO) they do a "clean sweep" and take everything regardless of who owns it (see the Jarvis case on comm2a.org), I am certain of the same results in the case of a FID (not revoked/suspended) and a LTC (revoked/suspended). Based on my personal experience from when I went on domestic calls as a police officer, I do understand that rationale of the PDs, even though I don't like the results.

I am 19 and just received my FID in Amesbury. Family just moved here from Maine because of my dad's company transfer. I am not much of a gun guy compared to most of you folks and I am a complete newbie to this site. I brought with me two Remington 870 12 gauge shotguns (Wingmaster and Tactical) along with a stainless Savage .223 bolt action rifle and a Savage bolt action .22 rifle like the kind Troy Landry uses. I have a Stack On safe that I purchased at a garage sale. Lock busted so I removed the lock and bolts and fitted the safe with heavy duty hasps carriage bolted to the door and frame and heavy duty padlocks to lock the door shut. Am I good to go with this arrangement? FID legal? Any advice would be much appreciated. Mega thanks in advance!

One of the cases that I read indicated that the Permit to Purchase was created by the legislature c. 1957.

Supervel, you are in compliance.

Not to be snarky, but whomever did your LTC/FID course should have gone over this.

Take some time to go through the threads in this section; a lot of questions that you haven't thought of, yet, will be pre-answered.
Welcome.
MisterHappy, thank you for your reply and kind words. The NRA approved course that I took in Maine was a very basic course that primarily emphasized safety. The gentleman who taught it was a retired U.S. Marshal who was one of that agency's armorers. Hence, he seemed to concentrate on rifles and shotguns, which was fine by me since these were the guns that I used for target shooting. I submitted a copy of this NRA certificate with my FID application. Amesbury police told me to keep the guns locked up at home and unloaded and locked up during vehicle transportation. Not much else but forking over a check for $100 and a handshake across the livescan desk. You are right. I have much to learn. I am patient and willing to do my homework. Once again, thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom