• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Application Question, All lawful purposes

mac1911

NES Member
Co worker is applying for LTC and asked me "What do I write down for reason for a LTC.
Now I simply wrote All Lawful Purposes on my application and renewals.

Is this still the recommended reason.
Other than that is there anything in the new laws directed at the application itself?
I looked but don't even know if I was in the correct section on MA.gov?

Thank you.

Co worker is applying for LTC and asked me "What do I write down for reason for a LTC.
Now I simply wrote All Lawful Purposes on my application and renewals.

Is this still the recommended reason.
Other than that is there anything in the new laws directed at the application itself?
I looked but don't even know if I was in the correct section on MA.gov?

Thank you.
I would suggest giving them a few reasons to encourage them to give you ALP. The wife and I discussed hiking in remote areas, my part time job dealing with very expensive computer equipment in shady areas, etc. It will all come down to whether or not it's a green town, though. If you're in Boston, they could care less if you get mugged or eaten by hiking crazies unless you're very well connected.

I understand the reasons.....but wouldn't protection against bears or thugs be ALP.
unreal that you need a reason to follow laws and regulations.
Ugh. The town is known to be green. I'm just going on what was the school of thought when I applied which was for all lawful purpose. Well have to see what happens. I don't know what reason he would put?

You can always say more, but you can't unsay what has been said. Keep it simple.

Especially if the town is known to be green, simply have them provide "all lawful purposes", and be ready to explain to the licensing officer what that means to them if I asked for details.

the general rule is KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid), and to write "All Lawful Purposes".

Some towns do not accept that.

Have your friend look up the town's info online, and see if there is info from the PD.

Post the town, here; there may be town-specific info about what works and what does not.

Also don't forget that if one gets restrictions put on their LTC, they are subjecting yourself to very little risk if they ignore the restrictions.

Per LenS, carrying outside of ones restrictions is not a criminal offense, but rather an infraction. I'm certainly not advocating that anyone break the law. But if one was to break this particular law by carrying on a restricted LTC A, they would have very little legal peril.

In response to this thread, I do have a question/concern:

A gentleman in California brought suit against San Diego County for their "restrictive policy regarding requiring documentation of "good cause" that "distinguish[es] the applicant from the mainstream and places the applicant in harm's way". Basically, the question was "why do I have to justify my need to exercise a Constitutional right?" The case is know as Peruta v. San Diego.

About a year ago (Feb 2014) the 9th Circuit Court in California ruled that requiring a person to show justification to exercise a Constitutional right is in fact unconstitutional. (I believe this is the correct way of interpreting this).

So, I know the 9th Circuit covers only several western states, however since the 9th is a federal court, couldn't their ruling be used to influence decisions around the country and possibly force a change to the way the local Chief's here do business? Could C2A use this if they ever had to go to court over the issue of denial or the "All Lawful Purposes" question?

Here is the Wikipedia link for a quick read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peruta_v._San_Diego_County

Silentoverlord,

The problem is that the 9th circuit has ruled in our favor on this topic. Another circuit, i can't remember which one, ruled the opposite way.

So we have a split among the circuits. This creates the classic situation where a decision can be brought to the Supremes.

We'll wait and see how that goes. But for now, a 9th Circuit ruling has no authority in MA.

Don

Silentoverlord,

The problem is that the 9th circuit has ruled in our favor on this topic. Another circuit, i can't remember which one, ruled the opposite way.

So we have a split among the circuits. This creates the classic situation where a decision can be brought to the Supremes.

We'll wait and see how that goes. But for now, a 9th Circuit ruling has no authority in MA.

Don

If the Constitution is irrelevant, why should a Circuit Court decision be important?

Also don't forget that if one gets restrictions put on their LTC, they are subjecting yourself to very little risk if they ignore the restrictions.

Per LenS, carrying outside of ones restrictions is not a criminal offense, but rather an infraction. I'm certainly not advocating that anyone break the law. But if one was to break this particular law by carrying on a restricted LTC A, they would have very little legal peril.

Little legal peril, but you put your collection at risk of seizure.

- - - Updated - - -

If the Constitution is irrelevant, why should a Circuit Court decision be important?

Circuit Court decisions (and higher) are the constitution as far as anyone in government is concerned.

Goes to suitability. That's a big hammer.

Sent from the depths of Hell using TapaTalk

Thats why I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

But while its true that carrying outside of your restrictions could put your collection at risk. People should have full information and weigh the risks of their own decisions.

There may be times when its worth it.

Particularly out of staters with non resident LTCs who have restrictions. In that case, they can tell the state to go pound sand when it comes to suitability since the state of MA lacks the authority to seize guns in other states. At least when it comes to non-criminal infractions.

Don

FYI.... all went well , received unrestricted in Rockland Ma last week. All Lawful Purpose but had to verbally explain his needs.
He goes to NH often and had had increased run ins with bears. Explained to the officer he Needs MA LTC to get NH non resident.....that was enough

Back
Top Bottom