Appliance service

Looking for some info about appliance service rates.

I have used a guy who is fantastic - goes straight to the problem, knows exactly what to do, doesn't f things up, etc. All around good guy, from both a personal and competence point of view. Took over from his father who I used for years. And, just so none of you report me to have my man card revoked, I average about 50% on appliance issues - half I can fix, half I need an expert. Of the half I get an expert for, I learn enough having the work explained to me to never call a pro for that particular repair again.

I was wondering how his rates compare. His basic "show up" rate is $150 that includes some labor time (He's never taken up enough time to goose showup/labor above that $150). What I am wondering - is it normal to charge $150 per trip show-up when you have to show up twice because you don't have the part? I know it's not realistic to have parts for every make of every appliance, so "order part and come back" seems reasonable. I am just wondering if a min $300 labor on any job where the repair person does not have the part on the van is typical and reasonable in this market.

Sole prop electrician here. I think it’s reasonable. Especially if it isn’t a part he should be expected to have on hand.

Does he show up when you call? That alone is HUGE right now.

The “to and from” a job eats up a bunch of time. Unless you are like me and never leave your 3 square miles of town.

ETA: I’m at $125/hr. $185 for first hour pf a service call.

A friend of mine just used Atlas in Fall River to repair a broken dryer belt and pulley and the total parts and labor was $118. She said he was only there about 30 minutes. She doesn't know what the actual labor rate was.

I had Frank’s in Milford come to our house to repair our dishwasher. They require an up front payment of $120 just to make the appointment. Not the only place that does that so it seems pretty normal nowadays.

I charge similar to MrBrownstone but personally don't charge the full service fee twice. But I also return with the part when I am in the area. I have a van pretty well stocked but I am willing to fix brands that I don't specialize in, so I really don't feel like it should be expected for me to stock everything. I'd feel a little turned off being charged full rate twice for a quick fix so I don't do it to customers. I've seen other repairman bills that are like 3 visits x $180 plus $160 for a pilot assembly or whatever. So $700 for a job I would have fixed in an hour for $260. I also do this as a second job to the FD though.

My philosophy is that if I can fix it, I will. If I can’t, I will replace the appliance. Lots and lots of troubleshooting info on the web, and appliances are not rocket science. There have been a couple of times I have replaced a part or two that weren’t the culprit, but I figure it’s still cheaper.

Those rates are cheap compared to my industry. I get $199 for service call and first half hour for residential repairs.

I have used Sears Appliance Repairs in the past. They were reasonable in price, showed up when they said they would and fixed the problem. It's been a few years since I used them but if I remember correctly they charged me around $50 right up front when I booked the appointment. They guy came to fix the dryer. It was around another $100 in addition plus patrts. He cleaned the dryer, replaced the thermostat and some kind of thermal coupler. Parts were around $50. He was in and out in 45 minutes. Showed up in a Sears branded van and wore a uniform with Sears logo.

I also do this as a second job to the FD though.
My Somerville FD guy, Dennis, retired to Cape. Have not found anyone to replace him and it suck because I have several things that are too small to get a full time guy to look at but a little past what I was comfortable trying on my own.

The Appliance guy I use is $125 to show up and first hour and then cost of parts and time after that. I forget what the hourly rate is but it's very reasonable.
He's also very personable and professional which goes a long way.

Our rates for residential service call are $172 for the first hour. I'd guess 60-70% of calls will require ordering parts and a return visit

Those rates are cheap compared to my industry. I get $199 for service call and first half hour for residential repairs.
Back to the original question - if you do not have the required part, do you charge the $199 for each of two trips?

It helps to buy ALL your appliances from the same dealer and establish a relationship. I've been with Hunter in Littleton for 15-20 years. Same or next day service is the norm. Jack.

Jack, when my daughter moved to Littleton I told her about your recommendation. That's the only place she'll shop now.

Our rates for residential service call are $172 for the first hour. I'd guess 60-70% of calls will require ordering parts and a return visit
If you do not have the part do you get $172 for the second call? What I am hoping to learn is the convention of how this issue is handled in the appliance repair business, not what someone needs to stay in business. In my case, the part is a $45 switch (probably $30 if I bought it myself) plus $300 for the two trips. Basically half the cost of a unit - but not like trying to buy a "got you by the balls" proprietary circuit board.

Conventions vary by industry. I have no idea of this charge for an extra service call because the repair person does not have the part in stock is typical of the industry.

What if you called a plumber for a job and he said "Easy fix, but I am out of the pipe fitting you need. Here's my bill for $200 to determine what part you needed. I can come back with the part for another $200 plus the parts cost". Would that be in keeping with the industry standard for plumbing? Or what of an extra trip charge if the plumber finds out he did not refill the wax ring inventory on the truck?

The Appliance guy I use is $125 to show up and first hour and then cost of parts and time after that. I forget what the hourly rate is but it's very reasonable.
He's also very personable and professional which goes a long way.
Another non-answer. If your guy needs to an order a part, do you pay and extra $125, once for each visit?

If you do not have the part do you get $172 for the second call? What I am hoping to learn is the convention of how this issue is handled in the appliance repair business, not what someone needs to stay in business. In my case, the part is a $45 switch (probably $30 if I bought it myself) plus $300 for the two trips. Basically half the cost of a unit - but not like trying to buy a "got you by the balls" proprietary circuit board.

Conventions vary by industry. I have no idea of this charge for an extra service call because the repair person does not have the part in stock is typical of the industry.

What if you called a plumber for a job and he said "Easy fix, but I am out of the pipe fitting you need. Here's my bill for $200 to determine what part you needed. I can come back with the part for another $200 plus the parts cost". Would that be in keeping with the industry standard for plumbing? Or what of an extra trip charge if the plumber finds out he did not refill the wax ring inventory on the truck?

Another non-answer. If your guy needs to an order a part, do you pay and extra $125, once for each visit?
From my experience as a customer, the answer is no on the second visit minimum. They have already diagnosed the problem and it wasn't customer stupidity (breaker tripped, unit unplugged, etc). That's what the first visit minimum is for, IMO.

D&S Appliance out of Franklin has a $150 show up charge to diagnose the problem. I have used them 3-4 times and they have done warrantee and non warrantee work. I don't think there was a show up charge for warrantee work but did for the non warrantee work. They came out, diagnosed the problem, ordered a part and came back to install. They didn't charge $150 for the second visit but the initial $150 was spread out over the time they spent in repairs.

While I am concerned about the labor charges I am more concerned about the skill level of the tech and the D&S people have been very good.

When my boiler tech came back a second time with a part he had to get I didn't get charged again for any sort of minimum.

Back
Top Bottom