• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Applessed: Harvard April 16-17 2016

Roughly 1,300 rounds this weekend. Definite improvement but no patch - that'll have to wait till next time. Thanks to the organizers and to the participants for a fun, informative, and safe event.

Cleaned the "Red Coat" target this morning with a head shot. (400 has a double hit)
redcoat.jpg

Scored Rifleman before lunch:
x.jpg irifleman.jpg Targets.jpg
Relaxed in the sun:
napping.jpg

Was awarded a pink shirt that all of the girls love:
z.jpg

All in all, this was a great weekend! We had a crew of about 14 people on the first day and 11 made it back for today. Hats off to the 14,17, and 20 year old girls and their mom who are now super excited about shooting.

I had the 20 year old in my first BFS class a week ago and she is going for her LTC next month after her birthday. Her dad, who was shooting to my left, promised her the 10/22 she shot today if/when she gets her patch.

Special thanks to Matt (Lupis42) for doing a spectacular job of managing such a large group. You ran a great "accelerated" line that was safe, efficient, and fun.

"AIM" I didn't get to work with you, but the girls really loved your style!

Oh, and met some NES'rs Gooseman, and Kalash. Great job guys!

Can't wait until next time!

Last edited:
What a great event with excellent instruction ! I (re)learned Natural Point of Aim, which significantly improved my shooting.

I also learned that my new 10-22 has a crappy bolt release and is in need of an extended mag release. Ordered both tonight.

Thanks to all the instructors.

Pretty much my first time shooting, I had a great time and learned a ton. Saturday I couldn't even complete the 4 min AQT, today I finished all of them and scored a best of 174. All in all a great way to spend Patriots day weekend. Now I need to practice some more before my next Appleseed. [cheers]

Pretty much my first time shooting, I had a great time and learned a ton. Saturday I couldn't even complete the 4 min AQT, today I finished all of them and scored a best of 174. All in all a great way to spend Patriots day weekend. Now I need to practice some more before my next Appleseed. [cheers]
This is awesome! I shot a 196 my first time around and took all that I learned and practiced it. I have shot over the 210 timed a few times on my own and was able to take home a patch this weekend. Grab some aqt targets from the appleseed store. Congrats. A 174 is a heck of a number!

Agree w Brownstone & Kalash: The accelerated line was well run & intense. An exhausting ~1,300 rounds in two days. No patch but learned plenty about me and my rifle. I need to practice and make some changes but I will be back again for that patch.

Thanks again to the local crew and especially the Virginia crew. Your time was appreciated and was not wasted.

Thanks also to those who stayed behind and actually helped pick up brass.

This is awesome! I shot a 196 my first time around and took all that I learned and practiced it. I have shot over the 210 timed a few times on my own and was able to take home a patch this weekend. Grab some aqt targets from the appleseed store. Congrats. A 174 is a heck of a number!

Thanks! And congrats on the patch!

It was a long arduous weekend but well worth the pain and suffering. I have a lot of work to do with NPOA. I'll be back be for more. Thanks again to the Appleseed crew for running a great event. Not sure who was who besides Hbennet who I got to meet Saturday.

Thank you to all the shooters that attended. While I could not make day 2 this event was on my mind all day.

I am glad to hear all the positive feedback. I hope to see ALL you shooters again on the firing line. Please spread the word. Tell everyone about your experience, and bring them to an event. Now that you know what we do, what we teach, and what to expect, challenge your friends to attend with you and see if they don't improve.

For those that didn't earn the patch, you know what to study. Dry fire is inexpensive and will REALLY help get you over the goal line. Practice your npoa, practice your six steps. Persist, persist, persist, and you WILL be rewarded.

For those that earned the title Rifleman, consider taking an Orange Hat and joining the instructors on the Appleseed trail. All the instructors you met this weekend started as students just like yourselves. They learned how to instruct thought practice and persistence (sound familiar?) They did it and you can too! The program cannot run without good folks like you. Please consider stepping up and passing on our shooting heritage to another generation of shooters. You WILL make a difference.

Last edited:
ad6cf0243b5a6550c44bc72dbe9c4580.jpg

A fantastic weekend of shooting! I earned the Rifleman on Saturday afternoon (luckily). I ran in to some issues with my 10/22 on Sunday and had to do an almost complete breakdown to fix it. With the help of Matt I got everything resolved for most of the day Sunday. I would say I easily put 1100 rounds down range this weekend at the "accelerated" range.
The weather was fantastic, the shooting was fantastic (and fast and furious), the company was fantastic, the instruction was fantastic and the history of the American Revolution was fantastic. (Are you sensing a theme?).
Great to meet Mr. Brownstone and congrats on your patch, sir! It was a great weekend!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thought so. I noticed we had similar set-ups. At the end of the day, you were shooting a 15-22. Was that a real Acog, or a clone on top?

It's a 5.56 lower with a 22lr dedicated upper and mags; the scope is a fac-cog, but it holds up well enough on a 22 (got me my patch). If I remember right I got the upper just as the 15-22 where cumming out, if I where doing it now I would have gotten the 15-22 insted.

Last edited:
It's a 5.56 lower with a 22lr dedicated upper and mags; the scope is a fac-cog, but it holds up well enough on a 22 (got me my patch). If I remember right I got the upper just as the 15-22 where cumming out out, if where doing it now I would have gotten the 15-22 insted.

Cool. I may look into the facog for my 15-22. You may have gotten it right. If I could go back, I would probably get a dedicated .22 upper. The idea being that I can stick with the lower I am used to.

I run a 4X32 on my 5.56 and realized this weekend that eyesight was a limiting factor in making hits at distance. Doesn't mean I'm giving up on iron sights, but I managed tight groups with the acog on the third and 4th stages.

Great work on the patch BTW!

Cool. I may look into the facog for my 15-22. You may have gotten it right. If I could go back, I would probably get a dedicated .22 upper. The idea being that I can stick with the lower I am used to.

I run a 4X32 on my 5.56 and realized this weekend that eyesight was a limiting factor in making hits at distance. Doesn't mean I'm giving up on iron sights, but I managed tight groups with the acog on the third and 4th stages.

Great work on the patch BTW!

The cons of my dedicated upper: No bold-hold-open - slow reloads, mags don't drop free, originally had plastic upper (week barrel fit), dirties the 5.56 lower.
Pros - same lower (stock, trigger), just one gun to transport, if you have an SBR you can make a short 22 upper.

15-22 uses are great upper-barrel-rail mounting system. I wasn't impressed with the way my original upper-barrel mounted (by Chiappa). The only thing that's left of that upper is the barrel and BCG/handle; the rest is in my parts bin.
Also, for a little less money you can get a conversion 22lr BCG, but then you a pushing 22 bullets down a barrel with a wrong twist rate and after a weekend like this your gas port migh be full of lead bullet shavings.

On a dedicated .22 upper if you use Redi-mag adapter for S&W 15-22 mags in your lower you will have last shot bolt hold open. If you use CMMG .22 bolt you can also have functional forward assist for when a 22 round doesn't quite go all the way into battery.

I'm just building my second with a kit I bought off another member.

On a dedicated .22 upper if you use Redi-mag adapter for S&W 15-22 mags in your lower you will have last shot bolt hold open. If you use CMMG .22 bolt you can also have functional forward assist for when a 22 round doesn't quite go all the way into battery.
I'm just building my second with a kit I bought off another member.
Thanks for the info.
I came across the Redi-mag adapter this morning after looking for a fix to yesterday's slow reloads. My Chiappa bolt is a cheap version of the CMMG-type system. It's a badly finished casting and no forward assist notches, I used to use a pocket knife blade to help the bolt when it wouldn't seat completely. Mine was surprisingly reliable this weekend, but based on my experience I wouldn't recommend this upper unless they've improved it since I got mine.

MadRussian, will send you a pm in a minute.

Based on PMs, a few more comments on a dedicated 22 rf upper and use of redi-mag adapter.

Redimag adapter fits in the mag well of a standard AR 15 Lower receiver. With the adapter installed you can use the S&W 15-22 mags, which in my experience are vary reliable. Also when using the adapter the bolt holds open on an empty magazine, and mags drop free when you hit mag release . ( Just tested four of mine, both loaded and empty to be sure.)

With the bolt held open on a mag change, after you insert a loaded mag, just hit the standard left side bolt release on your AR lower, and the 22 bolt slides forward and you are good to go.

My experience on the Redi-mag adapter was it was a tight fit in a new Anderson lower and would have needed some sanding to insert it through the bottom of mag well. (I have since had it suggested to me to insert the adapter through the top of the mag well, and it probably would have worked, but have not verified it. ) It fit perfectly in an Aero Lower so I just went that way.

Regarding the use of the forward assist on a dedicated 22 rf upper first understand the standard AR 15 BCG is replaced with a 22 rf adapter that is the bolt and firing pin, etc. I am not aware of any 22 rf adapter that comes with notches for the forward assist. However, CMMG makes a forward assist adapter assembly that works with their 22 rf bolt that provides the notches for the forward assist. Costs you an extra $20 IIRC. I have one on the way to try, so cant say how well it works from personnel experience.

I can state that the CMMG forward assist adapter will not work with my TACCOM 22 rf bolt assembly without some modification.

Disclaimer, I have no affiliation with any of the above companies, and YMMV

I shot the hell out Mr Brownstone's 15-22 with out any issues. After Sat I ran the bore snake through it and wiped down the "BCG". I saw a lot of problems with Ruger rifles and mags yesterday.

I saw a lot of problems with Ruger rifles and mags yesterday.
I had nothing but problems with Federal, particularly HV Match, in my 10/22 TD. Rem Golden Bullets ran really well though. Throughout it all I had issues seating the mag with the slide closed, as well as intermittent issues with empty mags not falling free.

A little bragging...230 on Saturday and 241 on Sunday. It's been almost 10 years since I shot prone on elbows, sitting and standing but after a few AQTs the muscles remembered those positions. This was a great weekend.
KIMG0336.jpg

Last edited:
You could have at least cleaned the damn carpet before blowing your own horn. Regardless, nice shooting *******.

Back
Top Bottom