Applessed: Harvard April 16-17 2016

For those interested in observing a typical course of fire, here's one at last year's Patriots Day Appleseed at Harvard Sportsmen's Club: Appleseed's Army Qualification Test (AQT) target at 25 meters (82 feet), 4 minutes, 40 rounds, 3 positions--offhand, choice of sitting or kneeling, and prone--10 silhouettes scaled to replicate ranges of 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. The video ends just before 4 minutes are up. Attending were 55 women and men ages 12 to 65, including 19 Boy Scouts and 8 of their dads. Video shows one of the Harvard ranges in use by Appleseed for the weekend. Under the expert guidance of dedicated volunteer instructors like hbennett, lupis42, Aim, LimaTango, Carabina44, voidoid, Ulysses, and several others, five shooters attained Rifleman designation, while many more scored impressively and everyone learned a great deal about rifle shooting and American history, and of course had fun. Appleseed is a worthwhile learning experience not to be missed if you're serious about improving your shooting skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut the guy a break and run one target the long way as if it were actual distance - do it toward the end for maximum benefit to the shooter.

it will also help acclimate new shooters to CMP,kmnow known distance etc.

I remember it being something like 4-5 minutes total. You are correct, the times listed on the targets do not reflect what I did at Harvard either.

We run it two ways. Stage by stage reflects what you'd get at actual distance, if we had to move the firing line or the target lines. That's the times printed on the paper, with the on-the-clock transitions and reloads for stages 2 and 3. The other way, which we run a lot of in the northeast, is the Rapid Fire AQT. 4 minutes for the whole target, including all transitions and reloads. That one puts more expectations on your rifle manipulation and time management, but if you have NPOA down and get a good cadence going, you wind up with a little extra time, which can come in handy if you have a jam or a misfire. You'll shoot both this weekend, but expect to see lots of RFAQTs on the 'Accelerated' line.

I was hoping to try again, this time with my bolt CZ .22 this weekend but family plans taking precedent.
Good luck everyone and I'll definitely be at one this summer/fall.

We'll hope to see you there. A bolt action CZ should give you no problems - just make sure you have enough mags.

I think we have one guy doing it with a Mosin!

Aim, who will be running the beginner line, has shot a few AQTs with his M39. Reproduction stripper clips make it pretty hard, I'm told.

My money is on the target. I tried it on a JC Higgins tube fed .22. At least I had 10 rounds loaded for each stage. Stock Mosin is not gonna happen in the time allowed.

If the Appleseed forum is to be believed, it's been done.

How large is the sheet of paper the AQT target is on?

It's bigger than 11x17. The black part of the top silhouette is ~9 inches wide, ~5 high.

Cut the guy a break and run one target the long way as if it were actual distance - do it toward the end for maximum benefit to the shooter.

it will also help acclimate new shooters to CMP,kmnow known distance etc.

We do at least one every shoot - frequently one at the beginning too, demoing positions and transitions between each stage.

I am bringing a 10/22 and I currently have four 10 round mags. Should I grab another before Saturday?

You only need 4. If you want a spare, you're not crazy, but 4 will get you through the whole weekend, and the Ruger mags are pretty reliable.

Any thoughts on lunch? I know BYO is suggested, but last time I attended either a sub shop delivered or some collected $$ and made a road trip?

In today's Wall Street Journal, http://www.wsj.com/articles/hitting-the-mark-in-the-american-revolution-1460476993#livefyre-comment, Letters to the Editor:

Hitting the Mark in the American Revolution

Sharpshooters were well-known in the American Revolutionary War, in which they had a significant impact.

While Brian Allen writes, “sharpshooters were uncommon in America until the Civil War” (“Masterpiece: Aiming for Intimacy,” Review, April 9), they were well known in the American Revolutionary War, where they had a significant impact. During the second Battle of Saratoga in 1777, Col. Daniel Morgan, following Benedict Arnold’s orders, instructed Timothy Murphy, his best shot, to shoot British General Simon Fraser. Murphy hit Fraser at a range of approximately 330 yards, and then shot his successor, Sir Francis Clerke. The death of their leaders by long-range rifle fire disrupted the British troops and was a major factor in the victory over John “Gentleman Johnny” Burgoyne’s army. This victory had the further effect of persuading the French that the Americans had a real chance of winning and convinced them to enter the war on the side of the U.S. The success of American riflemen in the Revolutionary War led the British to import Jaegers, special German Hessians known for their proficiency with rifles.
Leonard Lamensdorf
Westlake Village, Calif.

Some history that you'll learn more about at an Appleseed shoot.

Last edited:
"They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about.”

-- Lieutenant General Hugh Percy

Last edited:
The relevance of this may be something of a give away but consider the following:
An Appleseed ACT requires 40 rounds each.

By this time on Sunday you will know what the average load out by a Colonial/Regular was for the day.

Hits count

The relevance of this may be something of a give away but consider the following:
An Appleseed ACT requires 40 rounds each.

By this time on Sunday you will know what the average load out by a Colonial/Regular was for the day.

Hits count
I went through nearly 500 rounds today and I'll probably go through more than that tomorrow. Awesome.

I didn't break 300 on the normal range. I know tomorrow will be a different story. Hopefully my shooting be better then too.

I had a fresh box of 500 on the rapid fire line and there wasn't enough left for a full AQT by the end. Tomorrow I'm bringing a few things to try the skills/positions on. Oh, and more pads: My elbows are killing me.

Exhausting but fun and informative day. Having grown up in Lexington & Concord, it was cool to be reminded of the history.

Thanks again guys!

I estimated about 500 rds on the "high volume" line as well. Once I figured out my 10/22 didn't like the Federal I had and switched to CCI my day was a lot smoother.
Fantastic day and definitely looking forward to tomorrow. I was second from the far left today and will try and grab the same spot tomorrow. Come down and say hi!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I estimated about 500 rds on the "high volume" line as well. Once I figured out my 10/22 didn't like the Federal I had and switched to CCI my day was a lot smoother.
Fantastic day and definitely looking forward to tomorrow. I was second from the far left today and will try and grab the same spot tomorrow. Come down and say hi!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Will do! I was last on the right, in the recliner.

Back
Top Bottom