• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appleseed is coming to Hopkinton 11/12-13 2016

^ I saw that. I don't have the 15-22 now anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Tons of great info. Thank you! I am looking forward to it for sure!

Someone mentioned moving blankets for mats. If it's all you can get fine but they tend to be slippery. Your elbows would slip around. Yogu mats are ok but most are too thin.
A small heavy cotton drop cloth work well also.

Try not to spend money on a mat thats not a mat.
IMHO the midway mats suck. I rather use astroturf.

Out of the 5 "shooting" mats I bought this one I like best. Simple design stays dry.. I have laid this down on very very wet mud for hours and water does not bleed through...
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=700U

Now for inexpensive ...my friend bought a NCstar rifle case/mat combo and it seems to be holding up pretty good for 50$. It's a tad short though...

Purposes of a mat:

1. Not interfere with your shooting in prone. Not too slippery, no inflatable mattresses, no waterbeds.

2. Keep mud, water, snow, chiggers, sand, etc., away from your rifle first and you second. Also zombies.

3. Improve your comfort so that you can drop down, shoot a course of fire, and get up again for sixteen hours.

The third point is arguably the least important - until you rub your elbow raw on astroturf, get burns from your your neighbor's brass that your carpet captured, or exacerbate an elbow or knee bursitis due to general lack of padding.

Don't agonize over it - the weather will be dry and the temperatures moderate, so it's hard to go too wrong. Bring elbow and knee pads if you ever use such in Real Life™. Once you decide to give up on the dinky sidearms and live the Rifle Life and spend every weekend in prone at ranges all over New England, you'll figure out exactly what sort of mat works best for you.

mac1911's comments are spot on and the rifle case/mat combos he mentions did seem to work out pretty well at the events I have been to. Kept all the c*ap in one place, made it easy to cover the rifle when not in use, kept the shooter comfortable. Particularly the sort of people who wear rain pants and therefore don't care about the knees getting wet.

Me, I tend to use https://www.rei.com/product/374053/standard-blue-foam-pad-regular over http://www.midwayusa.com/product/169107/midwayusa-competition-shooting-mat and I curse both every time I pack, unpack, carry my stuff anywhere, loose the velcro strips I use to hold them rolled, and have to pick out brass casings that melted themselves into the foam.

Wife is out for Sunday due to last minute fall from work.
I'm 100% in for Saturday. Showing up with the ruger American bolt.
Going to Walmart tonight to buy some more essentials.
Will be a good time. I wanna learn that's the biggest thing for me.
If I shoot 5 rounds or 500 I don't care. I wanna learn. Get a lot of info that I can practice later.
I plan on being there around 815-830. I already have an "outfit" picked out lol

Wife is out for Sunday due to last minute fall from work.
I'm 100% in for Saturday. Showing up with the ruger American bolt.
Going to Walmart tonight to buy some more essentials.
Will be a good time. I wanna learn that's the biggest thing for me.
If I shoot 5 rounds or 500 I don't care. I wanna learn. Get a lot of info that I can practice later.
I plan on being there around 815-830. I already have an "outfit" picked out lol

If you pay attention, you WILL learn. What's more, you'll take home with you the knowledge to keep improving your shooting.

This meme has been shared around... but that particular patch is on MY pack. Because that's what it took for me to go from shooting "minute of soda can" to 4MOA. First shoot was in 2007. Got my patch on Patriot's Day, 2008. A year. Turning my 25 year old 10/22 into a scoped LTR. 3000 rounds down range (6 boxes of Federal bulk and a LOT of time on the range at Harvard practicing.) And then finally shooting that 210.

Persistence.jpg

Good luck!

Look for a yoga mat; they're perfectly serviceable as shooting mats. (and they're good for lying on when you're working under your car, too. :) )

I found an extra wide yoga mat on Amazon, about six inches wider than what you normally find. The extra width definitely helps with comfort over the course of a day.

I found an extra wide yoga mat on Amazon, about six inches wider than what you normally find. The extra width definitely helps with comfort over the course of a day.

How much?
i got a camping mat from Walmart for $14.97 (yoga mat was same price but this looked much better quality). It felt very good getting on and off of it on a bed of gravel.

How much?
i got a camping mat from Walmart for $14.97 (yoga mat was same price but this looked much better quality). It felt very good getting on and off of it on a bed of gravel.

It's currently listed at $23 for a 72"x36" 1/4" thick mat by YogaAccessories. I found it to be thin enough to get a good no-slip "ground weld" but thick enough that I didn't do a number on my elbows and knees.

I must say a massive thank you to Matt and Mike for running a great class both days.
Of course to the Hopkinton club that allowed us to go there.
I had a blast, learned a lot. Shot over 1200 rounds during the weekend (bolt action).
Showed up Saturday, great weather, light wind and sun. Met everyone. Set up.
Being a dummy I brought few different types of ammo instead a ton of ONE.
I was also the only dummy to show up with a bolt action.
Step up by step I kept learning and shooting better n better.
Towards the end of the afternoon I shot a 208 but I was rushing since I had a bolt action. I ended up with an extra 30 seconds. Knowing I had time I was ready to go at it again.
I shot 206 and 205 back to back but then the day ended.
Went home, talked to the wife and go the ok to return for Sunday as I really wanted that patch and title.
Went in today, with a clean gun. Shot the practice redcoats everything was spot on. Then we took the squares out. I was expecting that I'd be all over the place since people told me the gun will shoot weird but this happened image.jpg
pretty good group. We were done with practice/warm up and the qualifying targets came out.
First two I shot were completely crap. I started thinking that my breathing is wrong or that my shoulder had too much.
The issue with the bolt action wasn't the reloading. It was that I had to take a hand off and as a result
100% of the weight and balance was on my left shoulder... Yes the one I broke and dislocated in August. Needless to say this class is NOT for broken bones lones. After resting, taking advil, eating I kept shooting like crap.
Instructors noticed and the mentioned that my scope may have came loose and moved. I didn't even that could have happened. Little I knew, went to check and my scope could freely move and it had moved backwards a full inch.
I was pretty frustrated and ready to go home.
But Matt was kind enough to let me borrow his 10/22 to shoot for the rest of the day. It was a lot of fun to shoot. On my way back I stopped at dicks and ordered a 10/22 lol
unfortunately my shoulder had enough and I just couldn't shoot above 205 again.
But I met some great people, shot more in a wekeend than ever before, learned how to properly shoot, had tons of fun and learned some American history.
Agains thanks guys for a great experience.

Nice shooting!

A weekend of Appleseed is definitely good for loosening screws. By the end of my first one the screws holding my rear Tech Sight had backed out and the whole mount was wobbling all over the place. The second weekend taught me that my eyes can't always focus on the narrow front post of the Tech Sights anymore and I need to either buy a fatter post or suck it up and mount a scope. Both IITs offered to loan me their rifles, but by the time we had figured out the issues with the human/rifle combination I was tired and frustrated enough that grinding out more AQTs didn't make sense to me. Hitting the gong which had somehow turned edge on (I couldn't even see it after that happened) three times in a row at 100 yards proved the methods work. Hoping the third event will be the charm... as they say, a rifleman persists.

Don't be so discouraged with the bolt gun.
How long do you get to shoot the rapid fire stage?
You seen it yourself you rushed through it and have 20 seconds plus left!
I shoot bolt guns left handed and with practice I learned how to get all 10 shots off shooting at cmp matches oddly enough I had to slow down.....often now though I still have several seconds left over !

Also you learned a valuable lesson....when you shoot for score that's when shit fails!

I can shoot for months with out a issue go to a match and the gun will act up! Oh and wait till you go to a match and forget a bolt, ammo, grab the wrong case.....it's all fun.

Last edited:
I must say a massive thank you to Matt and Mike for running a great class both days.
Of course to the Hopkinton club that allowed us to go there.
I had a blast, learned a lot. Shot over 1200 rounds during the weekend (bolt action).
Showed up Saturday, great weather, light wind and sun. Met everyone. Set up.
Being a dummy I brought few different types of ammo instead a ton of ONE.
I was also the only dummy to show up with a bolt action.
Step up by step I kept learning and shooting better n better.
Towards the end of the afternoon I shot a 208 but I was rushing since I had a bolt action. I ended up with an extra 30 seconds. Knowing I had time I was ready to go at it again.
I shot 206 and 205 back to back but then the day ended.
Went home, talked to the wife and go the ok to return for Sunday as I really wanted that patch and title.
Went in today, with a clean gun. Shot the practice redcoats everything was spot on. Then we took the squares out. I was expecting that I'd be all over the place since people told me the gun will shoot weird but this happened View attachment 182530
pretty good group. We were done with practice/warm up and the qualifying targets came out.
First two I shot were completely crap. I started thinking that my breathing is wrong or that my shoulder had too much.
The issue with the bolt action wasn't the reloading. It was that I had to take a hand off and as a result
100% of the weight and balance was on my left shoulder... Yes the one I broke and dislocated in August. Needless to say this class is NOT for broken bones lones. After resting, taking advil, eating I kept shooting like crap.
Instructors noticed and the mentioned that my scope may have came loose and moved. I didn't even that could have happened. Little I knew, went to check and my scope could freely move and it had moved backwards a full inch.
But Matt was kind enough to let me borrow his 10/22 to shoot for the rest of the day. It was a lot of fun to shoot. On my way back I stopped at dicks and ordered a 10/22 lol
But I met some great people, shot more in a wekeend than ever before, learned how to properly shoot, had tons of fun and learned some American history.
Agains thanks guys for a great experience.

ive only been to one and this sounds alot like it. Only I had issues x2 with my son. His scope reticle started moving in the housing lol poor kid. My tube fed bolt action was a challenge. Anyway, now you know and will for sure be rifleman next time. Looking forward to a second chance myself, now that we got our gear sorted.

Been there, done that. Blue Loctite is your friend.

If you were hitting over 200, you're not far away. Rest, let your shoulder heal some more... and then go to the range. Take your handouts, your new 10/22 and practice. BUT... before you do that, read this thread for some modifications you can do to your new 10/22 to make it shoot better. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/35390-The-Liberty-Training-Rifle It's a little dated, mostly on the links, but there's some good info in there. Feel free to PM me if you want.

A weekend of Appleseed is definitely good for loosening screws. By the end of my first one the screws holding my rear Tech Sight had backed out and the whole mount was wobbling all over the place.

Oh, yeah. If you have ANY weakness in your rifle, an Appleseed Shoot WILL find it. Seen it, had it happen to me as well. Pro Tip - if your groups suddenly start increasing in size, check the screws. Check your scope or sight mounting screws, and check any screws holding the action to the stock - the one on the 10/22 (bottom of the stock in front of the trigger group) is notorious for working loose.

The second weekend taught me that my eyes can't always focus on the narrow front post of the Tech Sights anymore and I need to either buy a fatter post or suck it up and mount a scope.

Yup. I had the group size but not the targeting. Soon as I borrowed a scoped LTR, bam - got my Rifleman score.

as they say, a rifleman persists.

Yup. Some people get it at their first shoot, some take a year and three shoots... and some never do get it. Keep at it.

Some day I will make it to one.
One think I learned shooting matches or for score is if something is going to break or go wrong it's the moment your shots count.
Fading eyesight aside I think more should try with iron sights.
I'm shocked that after 50 plus years ruger and most rifle companies don't have provisions for target sights like the Williams and redfield/lyman style sights.
I'm a huge fan of rear aperture sights.... aka M16a2 / M1 garand and the likes. Also those of you struggling with front sight focus. Get that fat square front post! I run a .072" on my AR ( national match style ) and a .100" on my 1903a3. I gained 20 points my first time out with the AR fat sight!
Also get your eyes checked and get a Rx for shooting. Best thing I ever did.
I have a custom +.50 corrective lense in my Randolph rangers on my shooting eye. I can focus on the front sight and still see down range with out being blurry or get that headache seasick feeling you get looking far away with a close up correction.
Go see a eye Dr who knows about shooting.
Dr. Ginsberg of Natick Eye Associates did right by me!

Here is what I'm working on that I would bring when I get the chance.
Mid 80s ruger with a early KIDD trigger.
Runs perfect 99% of the time and I right at 1.5 moa with standard fodder ammo. Once the sights are done I will try some other ammo.
SK Standard Plus had been doing well in my other guns. Also have some wolf match kicking around.

Or my 1942 remington 513t... I know I can pull off 10 shots in 60 seconds with this bolt gun.

Last edited:
I saw a lot of scoped rifles on this past weekend. I myself used a 3x magnifier for much of the 2 day course. I'm curious to know what magnification everyone else was shooting at?

I saw a lot of scoped rifles on this past weekend. I myself used a 3x magnifier for much of the 2 day course. I'm curious to know what magnification everyone else was shooting at?

When I was shooting my Ruger American I was shooting at 4X. When I took Matt's 10/22 it was set at 3X and that worked for me.

Hey your inbox is full can't message you for one of your classified items (MP15-22) message me please thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom