• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appleseed is coming to Hopkinton 11/12-13 2016

Just googled it! I so wanna do this.

There's space on the line for this one!

BTW, the advice on semi-autos is for those coming in from out of state. The details of what is and isn't legal to possess in Massachusetts being somewhat unclear since 7/20, all we can do is link to GOAL, and to the AGs "whatever I decide the law is today" page, and advise people to use their own judgement.

There's space on the line for this one!

BTW, the advice on semi-autos is for those coming in from out of state. The details of what is and isn't legal to possess in Massachusetts being somewhat unclear since 7/20, all we can do is link to GOAL, and to the AGs "whatever I decide the law is today" page, and advise people to use their own judgement.

Cna I bring my 22 and 223? Both bolt action?
bring ammo, bring targets, what else?
what if I can attend ONLY Saturday?

Appleseed still banning 15-22's?

Yes - Smith and Wesson has not yet been able to give us a clear way to prevent out-of-battery detonations.

Cna I bring my 22 and 223? Both bolt action?
bring ammo, bring targets, what else?

We'll take care of targets.
https://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html
Be aware, however, that New England shoots tend to run to high round counts. Expect more like 1000 rounds over the course of the weekend.

If you can only make Saturday, that's no problem.

i see its recommending a semi (10/22) but is a bolt action ok?
I am so excited!!!
also can i sign up at the door/there? just because I cant commit YET!

You will get the complete dose of Heritage, all of the marksmanship instruction with the possible exception of the "Longer Distance Bits" (KD - Known Distance instruction), and the opportunity to shoot at least one AQT (qualification target). If you are unable to come back on Sunday, you will miss many more opportunities to shoot the AQT and the little heritage snippets that make the story of April 19th more personal. You will also burn through a *lot* less ammo...[mg]

Last edited:
As an aside, there is a standing offer in Massachusetts to run a one-day event (the whole curriculum gets covered, targets are free, the T-shirt is free...) for any paying female participant at the place and time of that participant's choosing. It has to be a safe place, with a safe backstop, etc., of course, but it does not have to be a regular Appleseed range, nor does it have to be a scheduled Appleseed weekend.

I am so there with both rifles! thank you so much for letting me know about this event and answering my questions.
I will be the guy with the accent and no clue what to do on Saturday, oh and ill roll in a black mazda 3. lol
Bring as many magazines as you can. Practice your mag changes (if they have a rapid fire stage) if it's a 22 tube mag red rifle practice loading it.
A mat is nice. USGI web sling works well also.
Water, snacks, clipboard, carpenters pencils (they don't roll away) chair, dress warm.....

Which Ruger? If she want to shoot 'a' Ruger, I do have a 10/22 loaner...

I'll take the other tack: If it's a Ruger *pistol*, have her shoot a loaner Ruger *rifle* while badgering the Shoot Boss to put together a Pistolseed event. Or a Rugerseed.

Perfect. The ammo is the same, lupis42's loaners are all Rugers and some are pretty nice, and she will not have to clean any rifles after the event. Win-win-win!

and its $40 for the one day right?
i think i can sell her on that!

You two will have a great time. My wife and I have been to two appleseeds and will be going to more. Bring lots of warm cloths, water, food, etc. Tarp, shooting mat, and folding chairs are helpful. Check out the forum at the project Appleseed website. There is a sticky there with a lot of great info on things to bring. But don't worry if you don't have everything. As long as you are dressed for the weather you will be fine.

You might also want to see if you can borrow a 10/22 too. The bolt action will be fine to practice, but I haven't seen any used at the shoots I went to. They were pretty fast paced. If you just want to practice your marksmanship with your rifle you will be good. But you might not be able to keep up on some of the timed drills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a shooting mat. I never thought I'd need one. I found a 6x8 tarp at Walmart for $3 but I didn't see any mats.
She seems convinced for Sunday so look like I'll be able to do both days.
I'll bring my bolt action but if I can buy a 10/22 it ll be great. I am buying a 15-22 soon so I wasn't planning on buying a 10/22 too. BUT I found out today that Dicks will have a special on them for Black Friday so I may grab both if I have the funds.

I don't have a shooting mat. I never thought I'd need one. I found a 6x8 tarp at Walmart for $3 but I didn't see any mats.
I'll bring my bolt action but if I can buy a 10/22 it ll be great. I am buying a 15-22 soon so I wasn't planning on buying a 10/22 too. BUT I found out today that Dicks will have a special on them for Black Friday so I may grab both if I have the funds.

Look for a yoga mat; they're perfectly serviceable as shooting mats. (and they're good for lying on when you're working under your car, too. :) )

There are at least two ways to approach this:

Come as you are, prepared to spend a comfortable day outdoors (temperature in the 20s, climbing into the 40s, overcast, gusty winds).

Decent clothes, Thermos of warm liquid, etc. Sort of like an all-weekend football game. Instructors will have loaner rifles, so the only specialized stuff you will absolutely need is ammo.

Prepare and obsess.

Rifle: while it is very possible to "score" with a bolt, a semi-auto is easier. Optics help quite a bit, so make sure you get something with parallax correction down to 25 meters, mounted solidly, zeroed, etc. A good sling, adjustable to the clothes you are planning on wearing. Good backup sights. Magazines. More magazines. Cleaning tools and supplies. Oh yeah, a selection of greases/lubricants. You may think I'm joking, but I was surprised when my summer-grade lubricant slowed down the bolt enough to prevent stripping the first round from my mags. And that was on a sunny day with temps in the 30s.

Ammo: Enough (is there ever such a thing?) *good* ammo. Nothing short of gilded, round-nose, CCI, 40 grain ammo. At least 1K per shooter. To spare your thumbs, a mag loader.

Personal: Comfortable clothes both for sitting around (G*d, can those instructors talk and talk!) and for doing jumping jacks. You will be popping up, and dropping down, and running to the target line. Padding on the off-hand bicep. Tall collar to keep the brass out. Padding on the elbows and knees. Thin gloves. Good eye and ear protection. Anti-fog supplies for the eye protection. Batteries for the ear protection (yours is amplified, right?). Hats, mittens (for warm-up between strings of fire). Your Eventbrite printout.

Supplies: Well organized, of course. A tarp to constrain the brass somewhat. A firm, but cushioned mat on top of that (the yoga mat suggestion is an awesome one. Besides, if yours is fuchsia, nobody will steal it). Some way of taking notes. Food. Warm, high calorie. Liquids. Enough liquids. A folding camp stool. A portable shelter? Oh yeah, a portable shelter. No sun, wind, or rain will stop us. A dump pouch, whatever those are. Trash bags. A towel.

Prep: Read the FAQs. Zero the sights. Zero the BUIS. Clean everything. Dry-fire lots. Get in the zone. Get sleep. Get enough sleep. Make sure everything is organized. Get some sleep! Read the FAQ. Don't be late. Crap, at least get there by 09:00.

Spares: Spare mags. Spare rifle. Seriously. A weekend of 1K+ rounds has a way to bring out the weaknesses in many rifles. More ammo. Snacks. A grill? Just in case, you know. A bolt-action rifle with iron sights. In case you get qualify with your self-loader and want an actual challenge. A camera. Spare batteries. Spare eyes and ears. A toothbrush!

Both sorts of people have been known to enjoy the weekend.

You can probably guess which clan I belong to from the above, but in all seriousness, an open mind and a minimum of outdoor clothing/supplies are the critical things you ought to bring along.

Besides, if you follow the advice above, you will be completely prepared for the Winterseed that's coming up. That one actually requires all that stuff.

Last edited:
I am buying a 15-22 soon so I wasn't planning on buying a 10/22 too. BUT I found out today that Dicks will have a special on them for Black Friday so I may grab both if I have the funds.

In case you are not aware: there have been a few incidents of out-of-battery ignition with M&P 15-22s and they are currently not allowed on Appleseed firing lines. Contact lupis42 for further details.

Back
Top Bottom