• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appleseed at Hopkinton

That was my only Appleseed ever last year. I should celebrate my one year anniversary
You should!
are 15-22's still banned?
See Rob's info below.

Our insurer actually required us to ban them, pending action from S&W. I believe the ban is still in force, as I have not seen any language rescinding it.

If there's the need for a loaner, PM me and I will try to locate one.

Our insurer actually required us to ban them
My BS detector goes up when I hear "insurer required" as it is often a smokescreen for "we decided".

Was there a claim related to the S&W AR? If not, did an Appleseed person call up, report the danger, and ask for a ban?

My BS detector goes up when I hear "insurer required" as it is often a smokescreen for "we decided".

Was there a claim related to the S&W AR? If not, did an Appleseed person call up, report the danger, and ask for a ban?

If it's BS, it's BS that's fed to everyone at my level of involvement.

AFAIK, reports regarding failures are reported internally, magic happens, and particularly when there is an injury (as with the 17HMR issue a few years ago) any ban and reasoning behind it are communicated. Initially, both the M&P15-22 and semi-auto 17HMR issues we're "we don't recommend," and at some point that went to a hard "not allowed."

And now you've got everything that I have on it, unless you or someone else needs more info...In which case I will certainly look and/or ask for it.

This was posted a couple of months ago on the Appleseed Forum

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=50312.0
[h=5]Re: S&W M&P15-22 Allowed yet?[/h]« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 02:37:54 AM »

As you know due to an abundance of reported safety issues with the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 culminating in the injury of a shooter on our lines, we have temporarily banned the use of the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 at Appleseed. Please see the safety reports in the advisory at https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=49549.msg337146#msg337146, additional reports here https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=49549.msg337302#msg337302, and refer to these videos on YouTube:

We have requested Smith and Wesson (S&W) fully investigate the potential problem and respond to us appropriately. Malabar and I were in conference calls with the president and CEO of S&W, their Director of Sales & Marketing Operations and the President of the Firearms Division. They literally called Malabar and I twice a day for about 2 weeks.

We (Appleseed) assisted S&W in getting in touch with the owners of each rifle that we received safety reports on. Once that was done we heard nothing from S&W. At SHOT Show in January 2017 we spoke with their VP of global marketing and operations and inquired about their investigation. He could not make any official comments. We know from our cadre one rifle was sent back from S&W with a letter stating the malfunction was a result of fouling (i.e., operators fault). The other was sent back from S&W with a letter stating the malfunction was a result of using ammo not recommended for use in the M&P 15-22, (i.e., operators fault).

We as an organization cannot make each shoot boss become the ammo police and ensure each shooter is using the recommended ammo for every type of rifle. We also cannot make shoot bosses to ensure each rifle that comes to the line has been properly cleaned or maintained. At Appleseed it is “using a rack grade rifle with rack grade ammo”. However, we as shoot bosses are responsible for the safety of our shooters and the safety of the instructors that get down in the dirt with shooters.

We explained to S&W if they would respond to us, stating there were no safety flaws in the design of the rifle and the M&P 15-22 was safe, we would lift the ban. We were told they would have to run it up the flagpole, and past the lawyers. Since then we have heard nothing.

I followed up with an e-mail on February 21, 2017 again asking for the results of their investigation. The email went unanswered. I again followed up in March 2017 and again the e-mail went unanswered. The silence is deafening.

At NRAAM in April 2017 I stopped by their booth, and they told me they could not comment further. I asked how many M&P 15-22’s had they had returned with damage consistent with an out-of-battery discharge? I was told they could not answer that. In my mind, who should be better able to answer that than S&W? Again, the silence is deafening.

Therefore, until such time as we can be assured these rifles are safe when they come to the line, they will remain banned.

As soon as S&W responds to our request for follow-up, and can assure the safety of the M&P 15-22 we can determine whether or not the ban will be lifted. We assure the cadre, and the public alike, that as soon as this matter has been settled we will let everyone know. If you do not receive notice that the ban has been lifted that is because it has not been lifted, remains in effect, and S&W has not responded to us.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:45:10 AM by DrRichP »

SMith and Wessons response if you ask them

The safety, function and performance of our firearms is an issue of paramount importance to Smith & Wesson. For that reason, we are constantly evaluating the quality of our firearms to ensure that they meet our exacting standards and the M & P 15-22 is no exception. This firearm is reliable, accurate and safe when used in accordance with safe gun handling practices and our instructions for use. We have been made aware of the concerns reported by Appleseed. We are working cooperatively with those involved to investigate the report but at this point, we have no information to suggest that the incidents reported were related to the quality of the design of the M & P 15-22. Thank you! SWCS

I dont think this will be settled any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom