Appendix Holster Recommendations

Got a new gun so it is time to get a new holster. I really want to make appendix carry work. I have tried the Vedder appendix holster and also the Stealth Gear appendix holster in the past but had the same problem with both. After 4 hours or so it feels like a nerve is being pinched on my hip (under the holster) and it is incredibly uncomfortable. My better half has the same issue with her CrossBreed appendix holster.

Has anyone found a non-nerve pinching holster they can recommend? Thanks!

I have a Phlster Classic and Raven Eidolon. Both are great. Eidolon is bulky, but the retention and draw is amazing.

Major key with appendix holster: Get big enough pants, let belt do the work, and adjust belt tension while you are sitting.

I've carried a G34 with sidecars from T.Rex Arms and TXC, then gun-only from Tier1Concealed. The TXC wins by far but needs the additional flex kit to make it rigid. Their molded "bump" on the body side pushes against the soft tissue above your pubic bone and prevents the lower end of the holster doing so against the bone. Tier1 just came out with their Agis Elite, which looks pretty comparable, but their "bump" is a foam wedge you have to stick on. It's adjustable but strikes me as an afterthought that will reek of sweat before long.

mostly I use JM Custom or Dark Star holsters. for what which firearm are you looking? it depends because for some pistols there are abundant options and others not so much. the Tier1 holsters are very nice but in some regards he is clueless. for example he puts 1.75" clips on everything so right off the bat we're having to switch out the clip. also sorry but once someone AIWB's long enough they're going to switch to pull-the-dot loops so those had better be an option up front.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Disregard that garbage entirely. That kid is a tool, and too many people buy his junk after falling for marketing hype.
Say what you will about him but the kid can straight out shoot, and while I don’t like their OWB or standard IWB holsters I’m very satisfied with the two appendix holsters they make. To each their own.

Say what you will about him but the kid can straight out shoot, and while I don’t like their OWB or standard IWB holsters I’m very satisfied with the two appendix holsters they make. To each their own.

He can edit videos pretty good...

But he's a B class shooter last time I investigated his bullshit 😂😂😂😂😂

I’ll give a shout out to Dara Holsters. They’ve made me Kydex Holsters for a few pistols with optics, lights and comps that are not off-the-rack and they are just perfect. If you have a rig that’s a bit unique they accommodate nicely at no extra cost.

If you want to get in sort of cheap to test the waters i like bravo concealment. Its good quality, barebones, and cheap. For a little more dark star and phlster work well.

I will be gtaduating to dark star holsters soon.

OP I have 4 or 5 appendix holsters (not being used). RCS Eidelon, JM custom kydex, Shaggy, forget what the others are. You are welcome to take them and try them. Most fit G19, G23, one is for a G36.
This offer extends to anyone. BTW; I wearboxers, which my wife washes after every use, and I shower daily, because I know some of you were wondering about the sanitary condition of the holsters. Didn’t work out for me. If I can help anyone else out with my $500 worth of holsters I am happy to do it. Not to mention, the most used one (G36) was 4 days.
okay, now it just seems I am protesting too much.

You didn't mention what gun it was for?
Phlster, Henry Holsters, and Dark Star Gear are my go to AIWB holsters. Their glock holsters are one size fits all for g19,g17 & g34
I have never liked the trex tactical cod-pieces.
Also foam wedges are a useful tool to keep your holster comfortable allday long and to aid in concealment.

Crossbreed minimal whatever. The key is finding a holster that puts the trigger guard behind the belt.

I’ve got a Dara that is nice, but rides way too high to conceal.

I highly recommend Tier 1. Expensive but worth every penny. Give them your email for a discount.

They are fully adjustable for ride height which should help you to position it comfortably.

I tried AIWB with a Glock 26 and failed utterly with several holsters. I’ve had success with a Glock 43x and a KSG holster. I use the foam wedge on the holster — this keeps the butt tucked in to my belly and the foam is keeps the hard holster from digging in to my lower abdomen.

Also foam wedges are a useful tool to keep your holster comfortable allday long and to aid in concealment.
Foam wedge for the win!

Minuteman-wedge-3.jpg

I cherish both my PP and my femoral artery (and arguably in that order), ergo no appendix carry for me.

I do however have an inexpensive appendix carry holster for a Ruger LC9s that I tried that you’re welcome to if that happens to be the gun in question though (believe it might be a Bladetek but would have to check)

And a very stiff belt is essential for me. Either a 1-1/2” Leather Mitch Rosen or a Wilderness Instructors CMS work for me. A poor belt allows the top tomgape outwards on almost any AIWB holster. With cold weather now, I’m OWB for comfort.

@jasonj84 like you Ive dumped a lot of $$ into holster experimentation. unfortunately theres been no other option since one cant stroll into a shop and look at them. its amazing how galco and major mfrs are essentially worthless when it comes to AIWB. and just because someone makes a nice OWB/IWB holsters doesnt mean squat for their ability to build an AIWB. for example Bravo concealment I dig their OWBs but their torsion IWB is absolute shit for AIWB. lots of other examples too.

in my case since I almost exclusively carry TDAs my holster collection would have been best suited to those living in the mid 90’s! maybe wife is right about me living in the past.

Foam wedge for the win!

Minuteman-wedge-3.jpg

FYI many of us have found shorter holsters significantly worse for AIWB. i thought this was nonsense until I tried. since i’ve been carrying an M9A1 and cannot describe how comfortable its been. for glocks I never use anything shorter than a G17 length holster. hell even the 34 length works great for a 19. I know it sounds nuts.

in terms if wedges I recently tried the yoga block and velcro trick and am super impressed. buy a $6 yoga block and cut small pieces, velcro (soft side on the holster) then mix-match to accomplish whatever angles one wants. super easy to take out a hot spot on the holster, often along medial thigh. if one angles the wedge to help rotate the holster sometimes you can ditch the claw all together and get the same effect from the wedge. this is basicallly the idea behind the tenicor holsters although they use the angle of the kydex in same area. anyway the yoga block trick is very convenient and much cheaper than buying neoprene pads from holster makers.

Last edited:
FYI many of us have found shorter holsters significantly worse for AIWB. i thought this was nonsense until I tried. since i’ve been carrying an M9A1 and cannot describe how comfortable its been. for glocks I never use anything shorter than a G17 length holster. hell even the 34 length works great for a 19. I know it sounds nuts.
+1
That's been my experience also.
AIWB holster fitting is very individualized.
What does not work for one person is the perfect match for another.
Anyone looking to get this carry method to work would benefit greatly from the "holster exchange" offered by several members.
The "other" AIWB holsters I have are left handed, but if anyone wants to give them a try, let em know and I'll give you the details.

All due respect but if you’re one of those tinfoil guys saying him and garandthumb speed up their videos you need to drop your ego and jealousy. I’m not a fanboy in love with either guys content but they can shoot. There’s a reason he offers private training to SWAT and upper tier teams and it’s not because he has a good video editor. If botkin is a B class shooter then I’m an F.

ROFL. Any TIERED team that utilizes his services is a joke.

He's a legit B class shooter. I had his USPSA number at one time when I was looking into his fraudness.

His holster quality is garbage. I had 2 side cars at one point, that he gave me for free because I had a decent IG following as an instructor. I sold them and sent him the money because they are such garbage

I'm partial to the Raven Vanguard 2 or the MFT Minimalist both with the claw, the less bulk the better IMO. I've tried several others including the CCC Shaggy, Dara, Bravo(the least comfortable - if anyone wants to buy one for a M&P 2.0C PM me), KSG, Stealthgear, and a few others I can't remember. The VG2 and Minimalist are easily the most comfortable for me.

Back
Top Bottom