• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appendix Carry

Who does it? and what tips do you have?

Me! Most of my tips are likely not applicable to you though ;)

Keltec on a belt clip disappears there under most of my clothes.

I found that when hiding larger things there, I needed to trim back crossbreed style holsters...they extend too far down and would dig into my thigh. Otherwise, not too different than other positions I tried.

Being that I am 5'9", 170lbs, AIWB has many benefits over 4oclock carry for my build. It is typically easier to conceal when lightly dressed. It is quicker to draw from. It is easier to carry while driving. I will carry AWIB when I carry a full size auto for all of those reasons, but mostly because it is easier to conceal.

Get a great holster for it. Crossbreed, Raven Concealment, and RDR Holsters all have great rigs for AIWB. Also use a very thin undershirt if any of the gun will rub against you. Makes sitting down suck less.

I am in constant movement at work dealing with sometimes hundreds of people a day,
i needed to be able to not worry every time i reached for something my shirt riding up or easily printing.
I'd like it to remain unknown that i am carrying. I feel like it's much more deeply concealed AWIB.
I haven't carried 4 o'clock for the last 6 months or more.

Tips: get a good holster that protects the trigger and your jewels (obvious but the most important), practice your draw, and then practice your draw some more and more and more.
When your re-holstering take your time.
Find the right spot, for me i go almost high noon next to the buckle, others more appendix, you'll find a good spot.
Right now im running a pm40 and it's perfect. sp101 when i feel the force calling for 357
If you have a large gut, a jelly roll may take it out of your waistband and try to eat it, understand your too fat to carry appendix and move on.

I carry at 10-11 o'clock with an SR9c. Make sure to wear an undershirt to avoid chafing/itching. I find that if printing, angle grip towards 12 o'clock helps a good amount.

Also use a very thin undershirt if any of the gun will rub against you. Makes sitting down suck less.

Okay...now I have heard guys mention this all the time and have never personally felt the need...is the gun chafing you or are you sweating on the gun?

Nevermind...tyke preemptively answered it. Just for the record, I don't think I have crocodile skin, but have never been chafed by gun or holster. Interesting.

Last edited:
I appendix carry my Ruger 1911 with a clip draw. No more printing problems. Hugging issues. Better in crowds. Can guard it better. Fast draw. It just seems the way to go for me. It's not for everyone.

Appendix carry pros: conceals very well for most people, and is very fast to access.

Cons: mostly comfort - you really need a good holster, and may end up spending a small fortune to find one that works well for you. Personally, I have not had good luck finding one that works well for me in this position, but of course YMMV.

Also as noted above, you must be very careful when re-holstering, especially with striker fired pistols like the Glock and the M&P. Not only is this method of carry very close to the twig and berries, but also a somewhat important part of your anatomy known as the Femoral artery.

You definitely want to look the gun into the holster and go slow - no speed re holstering here - and STOP if you feel any unusual resistance when putting the pistol back into the holster.

When I'm genuinely concerned with concealment I'll go with appendix carry, to include the entire time I was an LTC holder in MA. Previously a P229, Glock 19 before that. Currently a P2000. The trick for me was a narrow holster (I use a Comp Tac Infidel), as opposed to a wide holster like the Crossbreed style. You also need to find that sweet spot where the barrel will be between your right thigh and, well, other stuff. Once you find that spot, it's remarkably comfortable.

I have personally never found a holster that sat at the right depth or angle... so I hacked up a crappy one and made my own. Looks like crap but comfortable as all hell and with a ziptie or a little wire I can go from a deep conceal j-frame or Glock to a combat grip.

I have a Dale Fricke Joab holster for Walther P99. Dale supposedly makes some of the best appendix carry holsters. I found that full-size holsters are not comfortable while sitting because they bump against the inner thigh. And I sit a lot (driving, home office etc)! I could carry it like a regular IWB at 4 o'clock, but it doesn't have the usual cant for the position.

Someone else said it best about appendix carry: it's a very good position, good concealment, quick draw, comfortable, but if you f*ck up, you die. A ruptured femoral is no joke.

When I'm genuinely concerned with concealment I'll go with appendix carry, to include the entire time I was an LTC holder in MA. Previously a P229, Glock 19 before that. Currently a P2000. The trick for me was a narrow holster (I use a Comp Tac Infidel), as opposed to a wide holster like the Crossbreed style. You also need to find that sweet spot where the barrel will be between your right thigh and, well, other stuff. Once you find that spot, it's remarkably comfortable.
Thanks, good to know I was beginning to thing a compact might be too big

For those that carry 10:00ish are you lefty or is it more of a cross draw?

I always think about blowing my junk off every time I carry this way. It's distracting. Psychological I guess. I'm always aware it's there. No other carry position messes with my head. [laugh]

Also double and triple check the safety. I carry with one in the chamber...but after I load it, safety on. Check 1 is tactile--feel it switch positions. Check 2 is visual. Verify safety is indeed engaged (on SR9c I look for white dot). Place in holster. Check 3 is tactile make sure insertion did not jiggle safety (shouldn't as there's no play). Check 4 is visual look for white dot.

If you think that's excessive...well...they're my balls not yours!

Appendix carry pros: conceals very well for most people, and is very fast to access.

Cons: mostly comfort - you really need a good holster, and may end up spending a small fortune to find one that works well for you. Personally, I have not had good luck finding one that works well for me in this position, but of course YMMV.

Also as noted above, you must be very careful when re-holstering, especially with striker fired pistols like the Glock and the M&P. Not only is this method of carry very close to the twig and berries, but also a somewhat important part of your anatomy known as the Femoral artery.

You definitely want to look the gun into the holster and go slow - no speed re holstering here - and STOP if you feel any unusual resistance when putting the pistol back into the holster.

I carry Appendix most of the time. I stress the be super careful thing to everyone that wants to try. My advice, holster the gun first outside of your pants. Eliminates the possibility of an A.D. Holstering it while the holster is already clipped onto your pants is asking for an issue.

Just my .02

Sent from an illegal communications device deep within the bowels of an illegal detention center, yeah I've been black bagged.

Back
Top Bottom