• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appendix carry

Was trying out a couple holsters the other day and one was the Comp-Tac 2 o'clock, which as the name implies is designed for IWB appendix carry. I felt it was pretty comfortable, and I felt my 4" XD concealed much better under a T-shirt in that location than in a 4 o'clock IWB holster.

Then I sat down, and Rule #1 immediately ran through my head. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Well,,, there we've got a problem, as it was pointed right at you know what. Not really something I'd be OK with destroying, if you know what I mean. Hmmm.... [thinking]

Takes a couple weeks or months but you will get used to it. You won't even think about it anymore for the most part.
That all being said I still was happier when I found a comfortable holster to move it to a different location, that holster was a Crossbreed Supertuck.

A holstered gun is a safe gun. The holster completely covers the trigger guard, so the trigger can't get pulled. I'm not familiar with the XD, but I would guess that it has a firing pin block, so even if the striker somehow got released, the firing pin can't move until you pull the trigger. And since the holster covers the trigger guard, then the trigger can't get pulled, so the striker can't move.

In other words, I see absolutely nothing to worry about while you are seated. The only issue I see is during holstering. THAT is the time to be worried.

In other words, I see absolutely nothing to worry about while you are seated. The only issue I see is during holstering. THAT is the time to be worried.

I believe most XD's have a grip safety also so you got multiple safeties you would have to engage to fire.
Some may not like this suggestion but I used to leave my gun holstered, so at the end of the day the entire rig comes off and the next time the whole rig gets put back on. This removes the safety concern unless the holster does not securely hold your gun.

I believe most XD's have a grip safety also so you got multiple safeties you would have to engage to fire.
Some may not like this suggestion but I used to leave my gun holstered, so at the end of the day the entire rig comes off and the next time the whole rig gets put back on. This removes the safety concern unless the holster does not securely hold your gun.

That's what I do with mine. If I do draw from the holster I usually remove the holster first and put it back in all together as the mouth of it is not as rigid as I would like. Getting a better holster is on my to-do list I guess.

I hear ya. Just felt a bit odd to intentionally have it pointed in that direction I guess. And yes, the XD does have the grip safety in addition to the Glockesque 'safety' on the trigger itself. Not sure I'm really a fan of that yet, but it doesn't seem to get in the way of function.

1: A safety is a mechanical device that can fail.
2: Always point the gun in a safe direction.

That sounds like a double fail to me. There's a low probability of multiple failures for sure, but we're talking about a man's business district here!!!

If I do draw from the holster I usually remove the holster first and put it back in all together as the mouth of it is not as rigid as I would like. Getting a better holster is on my to-do list I guess.
Holsters that collapse give me the willies.

1: A safety is a mechanical device that can fail.
2: Always point the gun in a safe direction.
In a hip holster, the gun is likely pointed at your gluteus maximus, which you also probably don't want a hole in. With appendix carry, for me the gun is pointed at my thigh, not my 'nads. I don't want a hole in that either, and admittedly it is probably a bigger deal to get a hole in your thigh (femoral artery) than a crease down your backside.

For a gun with a firing pin safety to discharge in a holster, you need at least two separate failures: 1) the striker or hammer has to fall without the trigger being pulled, and 2) firing pin safety has to fail. With a quality gun, the chances of both those happening while the gun is in the holster is not something that would keep me up at night.

I think a far, far more likely scenario would be a negligent discharge caused by holstering while leaving your finger on the trigger.

Last edited:
Holsters that collapse give me the willies.

For me it depends on how they are made, but after using my Blade Tech Nanos... I can't see ever going back to leather. The adjustable retention thing is just too good to consider ever going back. It makes the holster stupidly fast, yet actually more secure than leather. The holster is also THIN and it doesn't collapse. Re Holstering is a lot easier.

-Mike

I carry both a P239 (Summer) and a G36 (Winter) @ the 2 o'clock and have for a long time. Good holster is key. I like it because it's comfortable for me, conceals better (for me) and it's easier to get to the handgun while in the car and wearing a seatbelt (that is when you don't leave it in the car safe [hmmm] ).

Sorry, no. The only way I carry (rather, used to carry) a J-frame was in a pocket holster.

I tried pocket carry for a couple weeks and was not a fan. In cargo shorts which I wear a lot of in the summer I found that you could see the grip from behind - secondly, I'm pretty anal about my pockets, and I already had too many goodies in my front right pocket. To each their own I guess. I want to get a compact auto to apendix carry with - because the FS .45 doesn't work too well for me. Too much beer?

I think a far, far more likely scenario would be a negligent discharge caused by holstering while leaving your finger on the trigger.

Even more likely is cloth/shirt getting in the trigger guard as you holster creating an ND!

Yeah - I can see that - that's why I don't re-holster pointing at my junk. Any recommendations for a good j-frame holster?

Best in pocket holster out there (synthetic) that stays in the pocket, doesn't collapse, doesn't print and is cheap is the Mika Pocket Holster (been discussed here many times . . . a forum search on "Mika" should get you pics and his URL.

I have them for the J-frame and PM9 and they all work very well.

You do need deep pockets (cargo pants usually do well but I can actually use this in dress pants too).

When you pocket carry, you don't want anything else in your pocket - just the gun in a pocket holster.

I wear cargo pants that have deep pockets, so my Kahr PM9 conceals well and I've got more than enough pockets for the rest.

Takes a couple weeks or months but you will get used to it. You won't even think about it anymore for the most part.
That all being said I still was happier when I found a comfortable holster to move it to a different location, that holster was a Crossbreed Supertuck.

+1 on the Crossbreed.

Was trying out a couple holsters the other day and one was the Comp-Tac 2 o'clock, which as the name implies is designed for IWB appendix carry. I felt it was pretty comfortable, and I felt my 4" XD concealed much better under a T-shirt in that location than in a 4 o'clock IWB holster.

Jake, I see you are in NB. If you want to take a ride up to Taunton Rifle & Pistol some time, I'd be happy to let you try a Crossbreed Supertuck for your 4" XD. It is comfortable and conceals well from 2-4 o'clock, though I do wear it more towards 2 with a T-shirt.

+1 on the Crossbreed.

Jake, I see you are in NB. If you want to take a ride up to Taunton Rifle & Pistol some time, I'd be happy to let you try a Crossbreed Supertuck for your 4" XD. It is comfortable and conceals well from 2-4 o'clock, though I do wear it more towards 2 with a T-shirt.

Thanks a bunch for the offer! I actually ordered a Supertuck yesterday, but I might take you up on 'guest' at TRP sometime.... Just sent in the membership app to Acushnet R&P but I doubt I'll get my key card before their next meeting in March. Itching to try out some new toys ;)

Thanks a bunch for the offer! I actually ordered a Supertuck yesterday, but I might take you up on 'guest' at TRP sometime.... Just sent in the membership app to Acushnet R&P but I doubt I'll get my key card before their next meeting in March. Itching to try out some new toys ;)

Smart move on the Supertuck.

These "gun is pointed in an unsafe direction" arguments against appendix carry are stupid.

You all would have a point if appendix carry was limited to stuffing in your waistband an unholstered 1911 cocked and unlocked with a 1 lb trigger and worn out sear.

Right now I am limited to weak hand appendix carry my J frame because I hurt my right shoulder. And to be honest, it's a pretty handy tool to have.

Yeah - I can see that - that's why I don't re-holster pointing at my junk. Any recommendations for a good j-frame holster?

I have a Lobo Gunleather offset clip holster for my Model 60 and it is verrrrry nice.

http://www.lobogunleather.com/9_offset_belt_clip_iwb-style_new

I saw a lot of talk about this, but not a lot of reviews. Let me say...I love it. My only other concealed carry experience is a 229 in a crossbreed supertuck, so we are talking night and day here, but I find the lobo holster to be very comfortable and easy to deal with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom