• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appealing Boston LTC Restrictions

My Massachusetts LTC came with Boston "Target and Hunting" restrictions and it has been all but useless for me an my purposes. I know people who have an unrestricted license in Boston, but I don't know of anyone who has appealed the restriction to the Boston PD authority. Has anyone had a successful appeal for removal of restrictions. And if so, what was the process? I would also like to learn from anyone who tried to appeal the restriction directly to the Boston PD authority and was unsuccessful.

You all heard it before but there are no published guidelines concerning restrictions, no laws, no direction ... basically the restriction provides you with an LTC that is not an LTC. So anytime you leave the house you risk fine and loss of license ... what a way to turn a law abiding citizen into an offender. Just make one person a second class citizen when compared to the next guy.

My Massachusetts LTC came with Boston "Target and Hunting" restrictions and it has been all but useless for me an my purposes. I know people who have an unrestricted license in Boston, but I don't know of anyone who has appealed the restriction to the Boston PD authority. Has anyone had a successful appeal for removal of restrictions. And if so, what was the process? I would also like to learn from anyone who tried to appeal the restriction directly to the Boston PD authority and was unsuccessful.

You all heard it before but there are no published guidelines concerning restrictions, no laws, no direction ... basically the restriction provides you with an LTC that is not an LTC. So anytime you leave the house you risk fine and loss of license ... what a way to turn a law abiding citizen into an offender. Just make one person a second class citizen when compared to the next guy.
Move out of Boston or hire a lawyer and sue the CLEO

Yes, I am a business owner that frequently travels to other states by myself and sometimes have to carry cash. I frequently have to travel to New Hampshire and Maine and have non resident LTC in both New Hampshire and Maine. The problem is with boston restrictions I don't believe I can take my weapon from Massachusetts ... unless I am going target shooting.

Move out of Boston or hire a lawyer and sue the CLEO

It is extremely disturbing that moving out of my home in Boston is an action worthy of consideration just to be able to be first class citizen again protected by the constitution. But if I move, it would be completely out of this state. Sadly, its not an option now.

Yes, I am a business owner that frequently travels to other states by myself and sometimes have to carry cash. I frequently have to travel to New Hampshire and Maine and have non resident LTC in both New Hampshire and Maine. The problem is with boston restrictions I don't believe I can take my weapon from Massachusetts ... unless I am going target shooting.
If you are a business owner, you can likely get the restrictions lifted. Then you will be one of those guys more equal than guys like me. Even if you don't, you can case and lock your gun and take it with you out of state to carry. Even if the Boston restrictions say to and from the range, 1 how would they know you aren't going to a range 2 FOPA protects cased transport between legal end points interstate.

It is extremely disturbing that moving out of my home in Boston is an action worthy of consideration just to be able to be first class citizen again protected by the constitution. But if I move, it would be completely out of this state. Sadly, its not an option now.
It's extremely disturbing what the Boston PD can and is doing to people's RIGHTS ! Then sue

Write a short, professional letter to the licensing officer explaining just that. Include bank records showing that you make large cash deposits, which puts you at higher risk of crime.

Write a short, professional letter to the licensing officer explaining just that. Include bank records showing that you make large cash deposits, which puts you at higher risk of crime.

Has writing a letter with a good reason ever worked? I am curious if anyone on here has ever written a letter and had their restriction removed.

There was just a similar discussion in another thread. The key in Boston seems to be something that is particular to you such as the categories discussed upthread. Anything that could be reused by Joe Average will be a non-starter.

Yes, it works if your letter is good and you have the right reasons.

Thank you, that is encouraging to know that Boston PD will consider such a request. Do you know if Lieutenant Dect. John McDonough is still the licensing authority and the person to write to?

Thank you, that is encouraging to know that Boston PD will consider such a request. Do you know if Lieutenant Dect. John McDonough is still the licensing authority and the person to write to?

Just make sure your reasons are the truth and you can provide proof to your claims. They might ask...

Back
Top Bottom