• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Apparently your Cell number is not private...

We are all in a shitload of data bases. I've lived 76 yrs without a cell phone, blackberry, blueberry, strawberry, I pad, I phone and whatever. The wife has a cell phone which I borrow when I go somewhere and want to contact her. It is only turned on to make calls. Don't even know what the number is. We do have caller I.D. at home to help avoid the telemarketers. Damn, the 50's were good times. Jack.

when I enter mine it just says wireless caller, but it shows up as my husband's full name through caller id..

We are all in a shitload of data bases. I've lived 76 yrs without a cell phone, blackberry, blueberry, strawberry, I pad, I phone and whatever. The wife has a cell phone which I borrow when I go somewhere and want to contact her. It is only turned on to make calls. Don't even know what the number is. We do have caller I.D. at home to help avoid the telemarketers. Damn, the 50's were good times. Jack.

Don't forget your iRack, where you keep your towells [smile]

Most times cell numbers show as town only, this had my name... Granted it's a reverse search, but if your name is up, how long before it ends up in Google etc?

Your name was listed, or the phone number and the wireless provider was listed? If it was the latter, it's not exactly groundbreaking news. Cell phone companies buy up all the numbers in any given exchange, so once you know 1 number, you know that every number with that exchange is on that carrier. It's gotten a little more complicated with people transfering their numbers between carriers though.

Most times cell numbers show as town only, this had my name... Granted it's a reverse search, but if your name is up, how long before it ends up in Google etc?

If they show up as a town it would show up as the town where the exchange was based in, not the town you live in (or are calling from). Even though it's connected to a cell phone, it's stil geographically based.

Give out your cell # to a doctor/insurance company/store/etc. and you WILL get publicly listed even if you have an "unlisted number"! They all create and sell databases and everything you give them is free for them to use and sell.

Give out your cell # to a doctor/insurance company/store/etc. and you WILL get publicly listed even if you have an "unlisted number"! They all create and sell databases and everything you give them is free for them to use and sell.

That also goes for putting you cell number as your main contact number anywhere on the internet.

Your name was listed, or the phone number and the wireless provider was listed? If it was the latter, it's not exactly groundbreaking news. Cell phone companies buy up all the numbers in any given exchange, so once you know 1 number, you know that every number with that exchange is on that carrier. It's gotten a little more complicated with people transfering their numbers between carriers though.

Yeah, my last and most of my first. so if you had my cell number you could look me up on it. It did not have an address, BUT there is a field to add comments to the number, so someone could add that info and anything else.

It listed my town as Worcester (my cell exchange) and my carrier as well. Those two I could care less about...

I entered my number, all it said was that I use Verizon and it estimated I lived in Leominster, MA (which is where I bought my cell phone). No biggie.

I entered my number, all it said was that I use Verizon and it estimated I lived in Leominster, MA (which is where I bought my cell phone). No biggie.

Saw a few numbers I tried varied with real and no listed names, crap shoot. But for those with names, get off the site.

I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is. All it shows for my cells is who the provider is and what town its out of, and that information has been available basically forever.

"Removing yourself" from one of these is an exercise in head banging, too, BTW. Kinda pointless.

-Mike

I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is. All it shows for my cells is who the provider is and what town its out of, and that information has been available basically forever.

"Removing yourself" from one of these is an exercise in head banging, too, BTW. Kinda pointless.

-Mike

Agree, except for those of us like me who have their name listed... If like you, it's just town and provider, no biggie...

I bet they track the IP address of people and the associate it with the numbers you look up.

Look up 20 numbers and they won't know it's you.

What the hell does a fortune teller need a cell phone for?

With regard to the medical profession wouldn't that be a flagrant HIPA violation?

As far as I can tell, and I make a living finding people mostly through their info that's floating around on the internet, the best way to keep your info private is to change it every so often. Change your phone number, get a P.O. Box, close your facebook account and get a new one, make sure you set it to private. MOST of the database sites out there are using info that's a few years old, so if you change as much of your info as you can every so often, you will be fairly secure. Also, it doesn't hurt to have a prepaid debit card such as a Greendot, because you can quickly get on their website and change your mailing address info (for instance, change it one month to your P.O. Box, then to a friend's house in a Free State for...nevermind). Far easier than dealing with a bank.

But when it comes down to it, most people just willingly hand over all of their most personal info on a silver platter in the form of social networking.

I'm more disturbed about the link on the side that says "Need API access?" on the side...great. Although, I can't help but feel like this isn't anything new.

It's a CNAM DB Lookup - it should show the same information as would be shown if you called a land line number that had name/number caller-id service.

And it seems to supplement the info with the switch area that handles the number and the company assigned to that block of numbers.

Chilling when you never thought about the possibility of that info being so.. out there... but very old news to others.

edit: And nothing is private :) especially after the Patriot Act.... you know, for your protection.

Last edited:
I bet they track the IP address of people and the associate it with the numbers you look up.

Look up 20 numbers and they won't know it's you.

Your tinfoil hat is on a bit tight bro.

edit: unledss this was sarcasm in which case my meter needs a tuneup.

Last edited:
REMINDER..... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222.
It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON .. It takes about 20 seconds.

Or, if it makes you feel better: https//www.donotcall.gov

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom