Apparently Handguns are Ineffective at Close Range

I know this is a gun forum, but why did he have to shoot it? The thing was 3/4 dead and barely moving. I could've put the thing out of it's misery in two seconds without firing a shot. Even barefoot.

How many of you monday morning quarterbacks have ever actually had to shoot a cat?

Also..... it was a part time summer officer with all of two weeks training.

Cheif Rosenthal is a gun owner and very pro 2nd ammendment. The chief has even wrote from some of the gun rags

How many of you monday morning quarterbacks have ever actually had to shoot a cat?

:::Cough Cough:::...... You're right he was just a summer officer and didn't have a pair. He could have put that thing down with a shovel, stick, or any blunt object. Especially if he didn't want all of this attention. If he put it down sans gun... this thread wouldn't exist and would not be newsworthy.

How to put down any 4 legged animal Lesson 1:

If you cause direct damage to the brain and brain stem the animal will cease to exist. Whether using a gun, blunt object, your boot, whatever just aim for behind the head. I don't recommend looking to do this but if any of you are ever put in this situation I now expect it to be done quickly and quietly and not become NES thread worthy conversation.

Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgwJTzclQfY

Last edited:
He could have put that thing down with a shovel, stick, or any blunt object. Especially if he didn't want all of this attention. If he put it down sans gun... this thread wouldn't exist and would not be newsworthy.

Just do NOT do this in front of spectators . . . or you will experience "nuclear fallout"!!

If he put it down sans gun... this thread wouldn't exist and would not be newsworthy.

As it is........ it is not newsworthy.......if it had been learned that they had used a shovel there would be groups criticizing.......if it had been learned that they had run it over there would be groups criticizing.... if it had been learned that they had done nothing there would be groups criticizing.....if it had been learned that they had brought it to a vet there would be groups criticizing....

One more no win situation.[rolleyes]

uhm NO!! The vet would have put the cat down humanely.. Shooting it 4 tmes just makes them sound like hillbillies..

Why is the way the vet kills the cat more humane than a (well placed) shot? [thinking]

It may be less messy, but other than having to mop the floor, I see no difference.

if it had been learned that they had used a shovel there would be groups criticizing.
You can say that again.

Why is the way the vet kills the cat more humane than a (well placed) shot? [thinking]

It may be less messy, but other than having to mop the floor, I see no difference.
True... dead is dead. Just do it mercifully and quickly.

Who shoots a cat? the dangers of a ricochet out way the cats suffering sorry. if i was hit by shrapnel from a cats GD mercy shot I'd be BS.

I was waiting for someone to raise this issue. Very real risk wrt shooting a small cat up close.

Ana, because none of the public watch as the Vet does his/her job. When the public see how an officer handles an event, they all become "experts" and criticize the event.

I'm far from someone who bashes cops. I don't care if he was an EMT with a gun or a special ops guy with C4. I just say read boys and girls. Learn how to do common sense SH*T! If you are firing off rounds in the middle of the night in the middle of a town that is filled with tree huggers you're going to get someone's attention. Don't use a mallet to kill a fly on a window pane. If you don't have the testicular fortitude to do something by yourself and quietly then find someone else who does. I could think of plenty of other ways to quietly dispatch that animal. It's funny that rent-a-cop couldn't think of one other alternative. Use your head. It wasn't a split decision that had to be made in seconds. If I've never done something like this before, sure call me a Monday Morning Quarterback. I've done it. Learn from this. Don't be comfortable in life and only learn about one thing. Become diversified in knowledge and you won't find yourself on the news explaining why you had to shoot a maggot filled cat.

I'm far from someone who bashes cops. I don't care if he was an EMT with a gun or a special ops guy with C4. I just say read boys and girls. Learn how to do common sense SH*T! If you are firing off rounds in the middle of the night in the middle of a town that is filled with tree huggers you're going to get someone's attention. Don't use a mallet to kill a fly on a window pane. If you don't have the testicular fortitude to do something by yourself and quietly then find someone else who does. I could think of plenty of other ways to quietly dispatch that animal. It's funny that rent-a-cop couldn't think of one other alternative. Use your head. It wasn't a split decision that had to be made in seconds. If I've never done something like this before, sure call me a Monday Morning Quarterback. I've done it. Learn from this. Don't be comfortable in life and only learn about one thing. Become diversified in knowledge and you won't find yourself on the news explaining why you had to shoot a maggot filled cat.

I don't think calling him a "rent-a-cop" is the right way to get your point across. [thinking]

I don't know what "read boys & girls" means.

I'm also a tiny bit troubled that you're diverse knowledge & experience includes multiple ways to dispatch a maggot filled cat. Maybe it's just me though.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have had need to dispatch animals (too large for your boots big guys) at close ranges and it just doesn't happen like it does in the movies.

While I've read some interesting and some amusing theories about this officer's abilites. Has anyone thought about the ballistics involved? I would only expect to see those projectiles slowing down to do thier propper mushrooming if the cat had mass enough to counter their energies at velocities...but I guess physics never really was a popular area of study now was it?

Back
Top Bottom