• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Apparent suicide, Haverhill MA gun club

I don't understand why there's even a conversation. Sure, the police need to investigate. But what's with the 6 page thread? Somebody killed themselves. Not to sound trite, but it happens every day.

We are all very sad at the loss of a member, especially under these circumstances. Suicide is a tragic choice for any person to make.

But the HHRG BOD will hold an informational meeting this morning, and the club will most likely be reopened this afternoon. For the rest of us, life goes on, as it should.

with this person finding this guy on the ground, the M.E. can determine how long he was deceased, and with a man who found the guy, a alibi like is wife seeing him leave in the morning will rule this guy out soon.

It doesn't matter, being investigated isn't a fun experience from what I hear.

Brian was a co-worker and friend of mine. I was unaware this was how he passed, as I'm currently out in San Francisco on vacation. This is tragic news. He was a long time gun enthusiast, great guy, and a good friend. He was passionate about firearm rights, and was a member of NRA, GOAL, etc. So I'd ask for those of you that think this is selfish to change your opinion. Brian had quite a lot of stress on his plate - I just didn't realize it would come to this. My condolences go out to Brian's family... he will be missed.

I am a new member of HHRG and am shocked and saddened to read this news this morning. I used to live at the Northside Condos, but I can't say that I knew Brian.
Nonetheless, My condolences go out to his family.
RIP Brian.

Brian was a co-worker and friend of mine. I was unaware this was how he passed, as I'm currently out in San Francisco on vacation. This is tragic news. He was a long time gun enthusiast, great guy, and a good friend. He was passionate about firearm rights, and was a member of NRA, GOAL, etc. So I'd ask for those of you that think this is selfish to change your opinion. Brian had quite a lot of stress on his plate - I just didn't realize it would come to this. My condolences go out to Brian's family... he will be missed.
My sympathies for your loss.

Wow. Not only am I a member at HHRG, I'm the same age as Brian.

My condolences to his friends and family; they are the ones who are most hurt by this. I also hope this doesn't cause HHRG any grief.

In regards to why he'd do it at the range - maybe he didn't want a loved one finding his body. The article said a woman was being interviewed at his home, so I'd guess he wanted to save her from finding him.
Sometimes, no matter how much you talk about it, or who you talk about it to, there's just no other option in someones mind.

It is one thing to offer condolences. It is another to try to interpret and question the manner in which it happened. People should not dwell on how others died but on how they lived.

Last edited:

I am truly sorry for the loss of your friend.

I don't understand why there's even a conversation. Sure, the police need to investigate. But what's with the 6 page thread? Somebody killed themselves. Not to sound trite, but it happens every day.

Because we are all part of a community brought together by our hobby and passion of firearms. As it turns out, a member here knew him personally, as I and others suspected, based on the fact that the shooting community is relatively small. Joe Blow might jump off a bridge tomorrow and I won't blink an eye, but if he was a member of a local club and a fellow shooter, his family deserves my condolences.

A lot of people look down on suicide because they don't understand it. Imagine what would have to happen in your life to make you pull the trigger. No one starts their life planning to end it prematurely. Events transpired that created the idea of suicide as a viable option and that must be a horrible thing. He has my sympathies and condolences.

I am sincerely sorry for the loss of your friend.

That said, I have to point out that suicide is always selfish. Suicidal thoughts always reflect self-absorbed thought. This is not a condemnation, certainly not of your friend, it's simply how the thought process works.

That said, I have to point out that suicide is always selfish. Suicidal thoughts always reflect self-absorbed thought. This is not a condemnation, certainly not of your friend, it's simply how the thought process works.

Really? Have you ever felt that bad, that low, that the only thing you can think of that could stop the mental anguish and pain you're feeling, is to not exist anymore? Sometimes, no amount of talking can solve your problems. Sometimes, you think you are the source of pain and problems for others, and if you take yourself out of the equation, their lives will be better.
The person this thread is about, choose to end his own life. He did not do this at home, most likely because he did not want his loved ones to find him. That's not selfish.

Instead, he did it on someone elses property. :\
I must say I really think it's a waste of time trying to reason through the logic of someone who commits suicide. It's a little like trying to understand why someone would vote for Nancy Pelosi...

Were it not for the anti-gun overreaction, I think most of us would offer our condolences to friends and family, double check to see that this wasn't an "accident" and then move on.

Stuff happens, people do dumb things - sometimes they do really dumb things...

Whatever this guy did wrong - whether it was in choosing his venue for suicide or just mishandling a gun - he's paid the ultimate price and you aren't going to get anything more out of him...

The person this thread is about, choose to end his own life. He did not do this at home, most likely because he did not want his loved ones to find him. That's not selfish.

NO? Let's review. This firearms enthusiast:

1. Killed himself with a GUN;

2. AT the gun club he BELONGED to;

3. Leaving a mess for someone ELSE to find;

4. Someone ELSE to clean up; and

5. Someone - and something - ELSE to be investigated as part of that death.

Not exactly an act of enlightened analysis.

NO? Let's review. This firearms enthusiast:

1. Killed himself with a GUN;

2. AT the gun club he BELONGED to;

3. Leaving a mess for someone ELSE to find;

4. Someone ELSE to clean up; and

5. Someone - and something - ELSE to be investigated as part of that death.

Not exactly an act of enlightened analysis.

Great guys, that's just great. Our community lost a member, a family lost a son, someone who posted in this very thread lost their friend, and you're harping on how inconsiderate he was? If his mind was running on the same tracks that yours is right now he'd probably still be here.

But he isn't with us anymore, so show a little respect. Neg reps inbound.

A good friend of mine recently committed suicide, with a gun, in a public place where he was found by someone else. I'm glad you two weren't at his funeral. [angry]

I must say I really think it's a waste of time trying to reason through the logic of someone who commits suicide.

Seriously.

I couldnt agree more , lets show the guy and his family a little respect. Although I agree with some of the comments here isnt the place RIP Brian.

Great guys, that's just great. Our community lost a member, a family lost a son, someone who posted in this very thread lost their friend, and you're harping on how inconsiderate he was? If his mind was running on the same tracks that yours is right now he'd probably still be here.

Keep in mind, that people wouldn't have anywhere near this reaction if tragedies like this were not exploited by immoral anti gun organizations. Really everyone here should be pissed at them (I am sure they are too), not this poor soul, but what's been said is understandable given the political realities.

Great guys, that's just great. Our community lost a member, a family lost a son, someone who posted in this very thread lost their friend, and you're harping on how inconsiderate he was?
I have not harped, and I didn't call him inconsiderate. I was very sincere in offering my condolences.

I was only responding to egoncalo's statement that it wasn't a selfish act, because suicide is always selfish. To be depressed to that point means being totally absorbed in one's problems to the point that the suicidal person can't think of anything else. It is not a condemnation of the deceased to point this out.

And yes, I do have years of professional training and experience dealing with people who are suicidal.

Back
Top Bottom