• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Apex kit or gunsmith work for my mp40

Hi Guys,
I would like to improve the trigger action on my full size mp 40. I am new to shooting and I am undecided as to going with afermarket parts like the Apex kit, or some gunsmith work from Derr Precision for example. Can anyone advise me on what way to go?
I would like to lighten up the trigger and remove the gritty feel that it now has. I mainly use it for occasional range use and for carrying with me, so I don't want it to be too light either.
Thankyou for any help, Eric

You can't go wrong either way, a good smith can get it pretty much just how you want it.
Get the Apex and give it a shot for yourself if you like to tinker, I believe there are a bunch you youtube vids out there.

Last edited:
If you are at all mechanically inclined, aren't skeered of opening up yer pistol, and like DIY, do the Apex kit. If you don't care for doing things yourself, are apprehensive about dealing with the mechanics of your firearm, or just don't have the time, go to a smith.

Anecdotally, I've had a few people tell me they like the Apex trigger I did on my M&P 9c better than smith jobs. I personally haven't tried a gun with a smithed trigger so I can't testify to that. I can tell you that I found it to be easy to do and I LOVE the trigger now. Its probably a little pricier, when all is said and done, than having a smith do it. However, you don't have to send your gun away for it either.

Check these past posts for more about how to do the install

RAM Install

Trigger Kit Install

I decided to go with the full Apex kit, including the triggger reset. I had it done at Remsport in Ludlow, MA. I live and work near them, so convienence was a factor as opposed to shipping somewhere else. I am completely satisfied with their workmanship and quality. I was able to wait;watch; and chat with John while he did the job. It is a pricey undertaking at $169 complete, but this is my one and only gun, which I'll be keeping for ever, so to make it right, it was worth the investment. At least now I can actually pull the trigger without my tendons cramping on me in my wrist. And, now I can practice and get better.
Thanks, Eric

It is like TWtommers said, a lot has to do with your comfort level. I had Greg Derr do a trigger job on my MP .45 and I love it and highly recommend his work. Others have sung praises about the Apex kits. Either way, you can't go wrong.

just an FYI, after a lot of research on this topic myself, i've decided to wait til' i've put about 1000 rounds through the pistol and see how it feels then before spending any cash on a trigger job/mod. you may be surprised with the outcome. i've only put about 200 rounds through my M&P and it already feels better than it did the first time a fired it.

Back
Top Bottom