Apendix and striker fired

Not enough data/background on this incident, frankly, and claiming that a glock "can just go off in a holster" is alarmist, at best. It's pretty obvious either the guy has a bad holster or something got stuck in there. Back when Dean Speir had his website up he used to cover stuff like this and it always involved some huge operator or equipment failure. One guy holstered his glock with a lanyard from his raincoat jammed into the holster; when he sat down the lanyard keeper tensed up and pulled the trigger, basically a massive failure on the part of the guy with the gun.

I've carried glocks on and off for over a decade now, and when I started it was with 7 dollar foam holsters, lmao. It's not a problem if you VET YOUR GEAR and
circumstances. And practice with it, unloaded.

Also most glocks are more than a 5 lb pull, btw. I rarely if ever see one break 5 without at least a disconnector change and some polishing. Even my G19 with the oem minus
connector in it still meters out at 4.95 lb. And it's not "long" but it sure as hell isn't short either.

If you want to see short, light pull and shit your pants, then get a Steyr M9 and we'll talk about short. That is literally the only striker fired gun that kinda scares me a bit... [laugh]

-Mike

My Glock 26 generation 2 breaks at about 5.5 lbs. I'm sure the Glock in the video didn't just go off. His shirt was probably in the trigger guard. A gun with a safety, this doesn't happen. Again I have a glock. I don't hate them. I also have a 1911 and a revolver and DA only auto's. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The Glock is the one that requires the most respect. If you accidentally dropped a 442 revolver and went to catch it and your finger went into the trigger guard it still wouldn't fire. If you did that with a 1911 with safety on it wouldn't fire (plus the grip safety). If you do that with my G26 there is a really good chance it fires. People get so defensive about Glock. No hate here, it just is what it is.

Not enough data/background on this incident, frankly, and claiming that a glock "can just go off in a holster" is alarmist, at best. It's pretty obvious either the guy has a bad holster or something got stuck in there. Back when Dean Speir had his website up he used to cover stuff like this and it always involved some huge operator or equipment failure. One guy holstered his glock with a lanyard from his raincoat jammed into the holster; when he sat down the lanyard keeper tensed up and pulled the trigger, basically a massive failure on the part of the guy with the gun.

I've carried glocks on and off for over a decade now, and when I started it was with 7 dollar foam holsters, lmao. It's not a problem if you VET YOUR GEAR and
circumstances. And practice with it, unloaded.

Also most glocks are more than a 5 lb pull, btw. I rarely if ever see one break 5 without at least a disconnector change and some polishing. Even my G19 with the oem minus
connector in it still meters out at 4.95 lb. And it's not "long" but it sure as hell isn't short either.

If you want to see short, light pull and shit your pants, then get a Steyr M9 and we'll talk about short. That is literally the only striker fired gun that kinda scares me a bit... [laugh]

-Mike

My Glock 26 generation 2 breaks at about 5.5 lbs. I'm sure the Glock in the video didn't just go off. His shirt was probably in the trigger guard. A gun with a safety, this doesn't happen. Again I have a glock. I don't hate them. I also have a 1911 and a revolver and DA only auto's. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The Glock is the one that requires the most respect. If you accidentally dropped a 442 revolver and went to catch it and your finger went into the trigger guard it still wouldn't fire. If you did that with a 1911 with safety on it wouldn't fire (plus the grip safety). If you do that with my G26 there is a really good chance it fires. People get so defensive about Glock. No hate here, it just is what it is.

I get it, but it's not about "defending glock" it could be any gun that works the same way (which at this point there are a metric crap ton of, from tons of manufacturers).

-Mike

I noticed some of you saying they wouldn’t carry a striker fired in appendix carry. Why? I carry a LC9S in a sticky holster in left pocket and pretty confident on pulling it out that finger placement is good. Just wondering why you don’t like/trust it.

Theres a video of a guy shooting his junk off somewhere here. Worn holster flap folded in under the trigger went off.

There's an after picture of a guy who had the same thing through his seat getting in the car. He posted the picture because all he did wearing it at 4 o'clock was burn his ass hair and put a bullet through his car.

I only appendix carry wearin bball shorts running to the store or something like that.

Bottom line do what you want but you can shoot your d*** off. Remember that your d*** off.

Not sure how the revolver doesn't go off there

I get it, but it's not about "defending glock" it could be any gun that works the same way (which at this point there are a metric crap ton of, from tons of manufacturers).

-Mike
I was only mentioning Glock because they have those guns with 5.5 lbs triggers. S&W M+P's have a 6.5 lbs trigger for instance.

Another vote for G19 AIWB. Gun goes in the holster before the holster goes into my waistband (gun actually stays in the holster all the time). Kydex covers the entire trigger guard. It won't go off.

Frankly I think its a solution in search of a problem. Grow a pair and learn to carry at 4 oclock.
Go get in your car and buckle up. Then draw from 4 o'clock. Please post a video so we can laugh for three minutes as you fumble around.

Meanwhile, drawing from AIWB in that same situation is crazy fast and easy.

I was only mentioning Glock because they have those guns with 5.5 lbs triggers. S&W M+P's have a 6.5 lbs trigger for instance.

Not sure if serious on this front either, a pound of extra pull isn't going to mean much in regards to an ND.

Also going back to my earlier point, Gen4 glocks and others are coming out now with triggers that are almost clocking in at 7 lbs "stock" in peak pull.

They're all in the same ballpark, and the same thing can happen with most of them.

-Mike

I thought that too but this video may make you rethink it.
Skimming through that video (I can't stand YM so I'm not watching him for 10min) I don't even see a kydex holster at any point - did I just miss it? Also the leather holster he's using very clearly does NOT cover the trigger guard fully and kydex certainly won't get bent.

Skimming through that video (I can't stand YM so I'm not watching him for 10min) I don't even see a kydex holster at any point - did I just miss it? Also the leather holster he's using very clearly does NOT cover the trigger guard fully and kydex certainly won't get bent.
I'm not crazy about him either but what he has to say makes sense. He demonstrates it throughout the video. He doesn't have a kydex holster in this video but he explains the problem that can occur with them. Watch from about 1:20 to 8:12 and your questions should be answered.

Basically he argues that with a DA trigger pull, it's better to have a holster that only covers to the back of the trigger. Anything that goes in behind the trigger is not going to be able to pull the trigger. If the leather folds and depresses the trigger, it wouldn't be able to press it far enough to fire. Same with if clothing or something gets inside the trigger guard while reholstering into kydex. If the holster material is high enough to cover the entire trigger guard, anything caught in between would pull the trigger completely to the rear.

I couldn't stand to watch more than a minute of that guy either. FFS.

what's with this concern about SWIFTLY re-holstering, anyway? Just stick the gun in your waistband if you're in a hurry to have your hands free or to conceal it again. Take the extra second needed to re-holster SAFELY, paying attention to that job. The cocked and locked Sig P938 lacks the slide notch (for the thumb safety) that a 1911 has. That lack requires you to put your thumb on the back of the Sig's slide as you re-holster or the slide will be forced back, most likely and possibly cause a live round to get tangled up at the ejection port. Best do most of the practicing with airsoft, with the 9mm alloy commander, or the .22lr conversion unit on that Commander frame. If practicing with the Sig, nearly always use wussy loaded 9mm ammo, almost 380-feeble, as in 125 gr lrn at 800 fps. None of the micro 9mm's are all that durable and you dont want to have to replace it more often than once a decade. Little buggers are $700 retail.

Sig does have a .22lr understudy for the tiny P938 and they have a .22lr conversion unit. Intriguing, but I have no experience with them. A friend says that he could not make his conversion unit function at all, tho. So best beware and be able to either take a financial hit when you have to sell it or have it smithed, or be able to smith it yourself. I warned you.

Check/clean your gun often, exam holsters for wear and obstructions, draw fast but holster SLOWLY, and you can safely carry in any position. I don't like appendix carry because it digs into my groin when I sit or drive, and I'm also mindful that the muzzle is pointing at the femoral artery when the gun is holstered.

EVERY last person on the Alone or Naked and Afraid TV shows has been able to lose 1/2-1 lb per day, and none were harmed by doing so for a couple of months. The first of the NA guys lost 40 lbs in 3 weeks, but that's probably not sustainable. So it's not hard to lose weight, if you'll just fast. People dont want to change their ways. That's the total story of "it's hard to lose fat".

EVERY last person on the Alone or Naked and Afraid TV shows has been able to lose 1/2-1 lb per day, and none were harmed by doing so for a couple of months. The first of the NA guys lost 40 lbs in 3 weeks, but that's probably not sustainable. So it's not hard to lose weight, if you'll just fast. People dont want to change their ways. That's the total story of "it's hard to lose fat".

[rolleyes]

AIWB a Glock 30 with a hanks belt in a 508 kydex holster because it works for me, tried srongside IWB and it wasn’t as comfortable (lots of hip pressure that made my back ache) I’m sure I could have adjusted things to get comfy but I like AIWB and it worked right out the gate for me.

I’m 5’10” and around 170, I could see it being very uncomfortable with any kind of “extra” along the belt line.

As others have said it all comes down to comfort level and risk vs reward. I don’t think anyone will argue that you are more likely to have a ND if you carry them if you never touched a gun but for most of us the benefit of carrying out weights that risk. Also if you DONT pay attention to the fact that you are carrying a firearm should you really be doing it?

I don't agree with basically any of that nonsense he talks about. He's talking about how a DOA is better with only partial coverage.
When you reholster a hammer gun you thumb over the rear of the gun and take your time as you insert. Having your thumb over the hammer prevents the entire argument he made on that specific topic because it kills the trigger basically. As does taking your time to ensure you are clear of any loose articles.

That’s not true for me. There are quite a few people who I care about and who care about me whom I haven’t told that I carry. We have very different political views.
Same here. I'm at the age where I don't GAF if someone finds out I'm carrying, but I still prefer they don't know.

Aside from that if you are knocked to the ground it is much better to have your firearm in front, where your hands will be. You can't resort to deadly force in a straight on fight, and most fights end up on the ground. I always carry a knife AIWB, and usually carry a knife and gun AIWB. But everyone has their preference.

[laugh2][rolleyes]

I don't agree with basically any of that nonsense he talks about. He's talking about how a DOA is better with only partial coverage.
When you reholster a hammer gun you thumb over the rear of the gun and take your time as you insert. Having your thumb over the hammer prevents the entire argument he made on that specific topic because it kills the trigger basically. As does taking your time to ensure you are clear of any loose articles.
Not everyone does things the way they're supposed to do all the time. If they did there would be no ND's. It not only can happen with a DAO but with an SA/DA too. If you've just used your gun in self defense and the police are approaching you may not want to have your gun out so you might not take as much time as you usually do to check things when you re-holster. There may be other reasons to that people might not take as much time as they usually do to re-holster so it's not non-sense since what he demonstrates can happen. As I said before I'm not crazy about the guy but to dismiss what someone says just because you don't like them is foolish.

Back
Top Bottom