Apendix and striker fired

MFSP101

NES Member
I noticed some of you saying they wouldn’t carry a striker fired in appendix carry. Why? I carry a LC9S in a sticky holster in left pocket and pretty confident on pulling it out that finger placement is good. Just wondering why you don’t like/trust it.

I will never carry anything that when in a sitting position or standing, points at me. When IWB with a 1911, When I sit, I never put my feet under the chair. I also consider what is below the floor where I am and might chose another seat.

I will never carry anything that when in a sitting position or standing, points at me. When IWB with a 1911, When I sit, I never put my feet under the chair. I also consider what is below the floor where I am and might chose another seat.
I get it, but do you never stand on a floor above someone? How about if you pocket carry? What do you do when you sit down? Horizontal shoulder holsters are always pointed at others.

Simply put it is less forgiving of mistakes. Mistakes on the draw, mistakes on reholstering, etc. You accidentally shoot yourself in the outside of the leg or in the ass, that sucks. You shoot yourself on the inside if your leg, you could die very quickly. If you blow your junk off, I'm sure you'll want to die.

Until recently I carried iwb at 4 o'clock for years with a very good leather holster. Now I carry appendix with a Glock 43 in a very good Kydex holster. I always assumed appendix with kydex would be uncomfortable and unsafe until I started doing some research. It's actually very safe as long as you follow proper safety procedures especially when reholstering- which is a very rare event anyway. It's also VERY comfortable- I would argue more comfortable than 4:00 when sitting. I would only carry appendix with a kydex holster, however. There are plenty of good youtube videos and web sites touting the virtues of appendix carry.

I noticed some of you saying they wouldn’t carry a striker fired in appendix carry. Why? I carry a LC9S in a sticky holster in left pocket and pretty confident on pulling it out that finger placement is good. Just wondering why you don’t like/trust it.
It's not the striker that the problem. It's the short light trigger pull and no safety. If it's a striker with a safety then no problem.

this is all a matter of preference or comfort level. to some extent i like the idea of carrying a firearm that is in a decocked position such that the energy needs to be put into the striker to allow it to fire. most modern strikers are fully cocked thus they are prevented from firing by a mechanical block such as sear and firing pin block. both woudl have to fail to allow the gun to discharge. it just isn't going to happen. so appendix carry of any modern pistol is fine. it's user preference. like any carry position the issue is with reholstering. i am routinely impressed how often i see people fling their pistol back into IWB position including appendix. no thank you.

most of the folk who poo poo appendix carry just couldn't get it to work. for lanky thin folk it seems great. i can do it but sitting down is a disaster so i abandoned it long ago. the sidecar type rigs look great i wish I could do it.

I am perfectly comfortable carrying striker appendix. Curious what the argument would be against it.

This, plus I'm 20 pounds overweight and appendix carry is uncomfortable as hell
yeah, it is said i'm...errr...a portly gentleman. my belly would most likely cover the pistol when i sat. if i looked as cool as the youtube crowd, with washboard abs, my 28 inch waist jeans and finely trimmed facial hair, i'd want to be like them, too.

I don't carry anything appendix style. I never found it to be comfortable, striker or hammer fired.

Lot of FUDD, as per usual around this topic, but that's the benefit of opinions!

As an aside, Spencer Keeper of Keeper Concealment has a....teddy bear-esque build and carries AIWB (his flagship holster is strictly meant for AIWB). So if the only reason one doesnt carry in that position is due to body type, it might be worth giving him a google and seeing how it works for him.

Good luck, we're all counting on you!

I’ve got a gut. I’ve tried appendix carry and just found it to be too uncomfortable when sitting and it printed a lot.

Lot of FUDD, as per usual around this topic, but that's the benefit of opinions!

As an aside, Spencer Keeper of Keeper Concealment has a....teddy bear-esque build and carries AIWB (his flagship holster is strictly meant for AIWB). So if the only reason one doesnt carry in that position is due to body type, it might be worth giving him a google and seeing how it works for him.

Good luck, we're all counting on you!
This minus the fudd talk, the only fuddy statement is shooting your dick off when the gun is never actually pointed at it. I took one of his classes when I was down south because he's a great shooter. (still don't have one of his holsters though, maybe eventually) and that man tells you all on how to comfortably do it regardless of size and while he obviously has a plug for his products, he encourages any GOOD quality holster. He's at least 300 lbs and he carries a full size Beretta... I'm no where near his heft and there's another post on this forum where we're talking about carrying a VP9. I think most of the struggles for people are going into trying to carry the same way they do strongside and it doesn't work. For holsters, some belts, ect. But I still do have good quality strongside holsters I'll occasionally use depending what we're doing.

Call me an old conservative FUDD, but I'd never carry appendix ever.
Just something wrong with carrying in a way such that the firearm is pointed at your femoral artery when you sit down.

But what do I know?? Besides, modern guns are perfect. Its impossible for them to go off unless the trigger is squeezed.

I've been carrying since 1990. Frankly I think its a solution in search of a problem. Grow a pair and learn to carry at 4 oclock. Buy a good belt and a good holster and its more comfortable than you think. At no point in the process of putting on the holster, carrying, or taking it off, do I ever sweep myself or anyone else.

And while I'm mentioning it, the proper way to put on any holster is to put the gun in the holster first while pointed in a safe direction, then put the holster on.

AIWB is a trend that will go the way of the shoulder holster. Hey guys, remember back in the teens when we thought it was a good idea to carry so that our gun pointed at our femoral artery every time we sat down. Oh man, what were we thinking??

If you use CCW, rather than just saying gun, or carry gun, you are a prime candidate for AIWB carry.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every way of carrying. That is no different for appendix or for 4 o’clock. One of the disadvantages of carrying at 4 o’clock is if someone gives you a hug, they are quite likely to place a hand right on your gun and discover that you are carrying — been there done that. In contrast, only someone very close to you is going to place hand on your belly.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every way of carrying. That is no different for appendix or for 4 o’clock. One of the disadvantages of carrying at 4 o’clock is if someone gives you a hug, they are quite likely to place a hand right on your gun and discover that you are carrying — been there done that. In contrast, only someone very close to you is going to place hand on your belly.
Pretty well on the point, there is nothing wrong with either. I have and do both. As long as you practice with the one you use. A prime example is when I'm moving heavy things with friends and what not, I'm not carrying appendix honestly. It mainly comes down to comfort, and as long as you are comfortable (as much as you can be carrying a gun) and trained in your method of carry. What's the issue? Except small of back that is, that can burn in hell.
Edit to add quotes:

Call me an old conservative FUDD, but I'd never carry appendix ever.
Just something wrong with carrying in a way such that the firearm is pointed at your femoral artery when you sit down.

But what do I know?? Besides, modern guns are perfect. Its impossible for them to go off unless the trigger is squeezed.

I've been carrying since 1990. Frankly I think its a solution in search of a problem. Grow a pair and learn to carry at 4 oclock. Buy a good belt and a good holster and its more comfortable than you think. At no point in the process of putting on the holster, carrying, or taking it off, do I ever sweep myself or anyone else.

And while I'm mentioning it, the proper way to put on any holster is to put the gun in the holster first while pointed in a safe direction, then put the holster on.

AIWB is a trend that will go the way of the shoulder holster. Hey guys, remember back in the teens when we thought it was a good idea to carry so that our gun pointed at our femoral artery every time we sat down. Oh man, what were we thinking??

If you use CCW, rather than just saying gun, or carry gun, you are a prime candidate for AIWB carry.
Yeah, the oldest form of carry in the world isn't going anywhere. Apart from the argument about femoral artery there isn't really much to argue, both carry methods work well. The bit with the femoral artery argument is that the same way you carry a 1911 cocked and lock knowing it will NEVER go off you carry a gun that fully retains itself correctly with the trigger guard covered knowing it will never go off (reputable company caveat) unless you do something stupid. There are plenty of instances where people do unsafe things with both methods of carry and they almost ALL begin and end with holstering/reholstering.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of SOB. It is hard to reholster, hard to defend against a grab, uncomfortable when sitting down, hard to access when sitting down, and may lead to a spinal injury if you fall on it. It does have the advantage that it is unlikely to print if your coat blows open, but conversely more likely to print if you lean over.

I’m not a fan of SOB. It is hard to reholster, hard to defend against a grab, uncomfortable when sitting down, hard to access when sitting down, and may lead to a spinal injury if you fall on it. It does have the advantage that it is unlikely to print if your coat blows open, but conversely more likely to print if you lean over.
And that's why it can burn in hell. ;) You wanna talk about unsafe holstering, you're liable to shoot yourself in the back trying to reholster that.

If I know someone well enough that they get a hug, then they already know I carry.

Back
Top Bottom