Anything I'm missing regarding shooting on private property "near" a school? I see nothing specific on it

Out looking at 10+ acre parcels land over the last couple of days. One of them is about 1400' from a school, but realistically the "range" would be about 1800' from school property and firing away from it.

I see nothing in the typically referenced RSAs about shooting near schools. Am I missing anything? I have yet to check any local bylaws, but would obviously do that before buying.

Out looking at 10+ acre parcels land over the last couple of days. One of them is about 1400' from a school... I see nothing in the typically referenced RSAs about shooting near schools. Am I missing anything?
Currently nothing in New Hampshire law (nor federal law). That said, you can expect some calls to the police and "friendly visits", even if you use a suppressor.
I have yet to check any local bylaws, but would obviously do that before buying.
New Hampshire has statewide preemption, no local bylaws apply, however any restrictions in the deed or HOA rules could be a problem.

Currently nothing in New Hampshire law (nor federal law). That said, you can expect some calls to the police and "friendly visits", even if you use a suppressor.

New Hampshire has statewide preemption, no local bylaws apply, however any restrictions in the deed or HOA rules could be a problem.

Thanks--yeah fully expecting visits no matter where I would buy. Although judging from the political signs and flags nearby it seems like a somewhat friendly area. Good point on deed restrictions, and I'll add that to my checklist of things to look for. I won't do the HOA thing, and am purposely avoiding a couple of good areas due to either HOAs or other area associations. The place I'm renting in now is in one. Nice area-not really for me.

Also no shooting in "compact areas", so check into that as well.

NH statutes:

1) No shooting within 300' of a dwelling without permission
2) No shooting across a public way
3) No shooting within 15' of a public way

That's the list.

Edit: of course, no shooting within a "compact area", which is already covered by the 300' rule.

Last edited:
Also no shooting in "compact areas", so check into that as well.

Yeah, I love the somewhat ambiguous compact area. I assume #2 means in that area. #3 is great-I'll have to build a house in the middle to avoid being one of a potential 6 or more buildings.

"(b) "Compact part" means the territory within a town or city comprised of the following:
(1) Any nonresidential, commercial building, including, but not limited to, industrial, educational, or medical buildings, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all such buildings without permission of the owner.
(2) Any park, playground, or other outdoor public gathering place designated by the legislative body of the city or town.
(3) Any contiguous area containing 6 or more buildings which are used as either part-time or permanent dwellings and the spaces between them where each such building is within 300 feet of at least one of the others, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all the buildings in such area. "

Back
Top Bottom