Anyone work for DirectTV?? Need to remove dish

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Do any NESers work for DirectTV/AT&T? I'm getting a new roof in the next few weeks and will need the old satellite dish removed and reinstalled.

I've spent hours waiting on the phone and I'm unable to reach anyone - I realize the corona crap has probably closed their customer service centers.

Or am I better off installing it myself at this point? It can be reach with a 8 foot ladder.

I would just like to avoid breaking something.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Do any NESers work for DirectTV/AT&T? I'm getting a new roof in the next few weeks and will need the old satellite dish removed and reinstalled.

I've spent hours waiting on the phone and I'm unable to reach anyone - I realize the corona crap has probably closed their customer service centers.

Or am I better off installing it myself at this point? It can be reach with a 8 foot ladder.

I would just like to avoid breaking something.
Your roofer should be able to do this, it's not rocket appliances. Mine did it, and it still worked afterwards. Actually come to think of it, the f***ing thing is still there even though I haven't had DirecTV in like 6 years now... [laugh]

-Mike

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I would think a good roofing contractor would do it for free, considering the cost of a new roof. It's just a few screws and a small bit of caulking.
Yeah my roofer recommended I call DirectTV but I'm not getting anywhere so I'll probably have to do it myself. There was some sort of gasket that was used during the initial install as I home during the installation. I just want to make sure it doesn't leak. Granted it's mounted on the roof of my porch not actual living space but still.

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tricky part is aligning the dish after putting it back, with the hd satellites they are fussy. Put it back in the same holes, get it "close enuff", then call for an alignment later, if you have low signal on one or two birds. There is a signal strength display you can call up on the menu to see

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Removing and re-installing it is easy. Its POINTING it at the satellite that is hard. Do NOT loosen up the elevation screws. Use a compass to take a magnetic aximuth on where it is pointing now. If you can re-install it approximately right, fine tuning it is much easier

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Tricky part is aligning the dish after putting it back, with the hd satellites they are fussy. Put it back in the same holes, get it "close enuff", then call for an alignment later, if you have low signal on one or two birds. There is a signal strength display you can call up on the menu to see
I was thinking of using a tape measure to measure the distance from the side of the house to where the feet/legs are anchored on the roof. That way I should be able to get it damn close to the same spot. I’m hoping that the support legs are locked in place so I don’t have to f*** with the angle but I won’t know until I take it off.

sbi

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@OP - not sure how your house is built, where the dish is in relation to other things, mainly grounding.

I had DirecTV for years, the dish was on the south wall. We had to remove the dish for new siding. I called DirecTV for re-install, when the technician showed up he told me the dish needs to be installed either on the other side of the house, or, he'll need to pull a new grounding wire from the same location, all around the house to the north side, because "procedures" have changed and he can no longer ground the dish to the same faucet that it was grounded to for the past 11 years.
In addition, the old dish mount was a no-no - he would have to use a new big, ugly, massive mount.
I told him Thank You, but No, Thank You, I wasn't going to put holes in the new siding for something that ugly and then run a grounding wire around the house. Sent him off and cancelled DirecTV on the spot. Clearly I don't know if you have other options, but just preparing you for the above scenarios.

Good luck.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Removing and re-installing it is easy. Its POINTING it at the satellite that is hard. Do NOT loosen up the elevation screws. Use a compass to take a magnetic aximuth on where it is pointing now. If you can re-install it approximately right, fine tuning it is much easier
Yeah definitely not messing with the elevation screws.

Just called the roofer. He said he can take it off and reinstall but it’s a 50/50 shot to get it in the exact same spot. He’s been doing roofs on the north shore for 40 years I think he should be able to handle it.

snax

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Are you under a contract?
Call and cancel your service, and tell them because you can't get anybody out there to move the dish.
They'll send somebody right away. These TV companies are bleeding customers.
I called for my father and they cut his bill in half with just the hint of me cancelling it.
All I said was "He's elderly on a fixed income, your service has become pretty expensive...."
They literally offered to slash the bill right there.
Don't be surprised if they want to move the dish, or upgrade the dish either. One of DirecTV's satellites (standard def service) is about to automatically move out of orbit due to end of life.
Most of my father's channels are on the dying satellite, when that goes, so does he. The only place the dish can go then, is mounted on top of his roof, which he is opposed to. They tried to once, he told them to scram.

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was thinking of using a tape measure to measure the distance from the side of the house to where the feet/legs are anchored on the roof. That way I should be able to get it damn close to the same spot. I’m hoping that the support legs are locked in place so I don’t have to f*** with the angle but I won’t know until I take it off.
Make a cardboard template of the holes after you pull the dish, then loacate the template from the roof edge measuremt! Easy peasy!

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Most important is the dish points the same compass heading. Aka azimuth. Roof pitch wont change, so the altitude aim will be the same, if its not in the exact same spot on the roof. Plus like I said, an alignment is easier for a tech to do, than a remove and reinstall that would need two visits.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have not done something like this in a decade,but there used to be a test mode you could enter, and your tv set would show the satellite signal strength (and if it was pointed at roughly the correct satellite). You climbed up on the roof with some socket wrenches and screwedrivers, and move it around a little up/down, and right/left, while the wife shouted out the window "better" or "worse".

It can get interesting if there are more than one satellite to point the dish at...

Gorony

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have not done something like this in a decade,but there used to be a test mode you could enter, and your tv set would show the satellite signal strength (and if it was pointed at roughly the correct satellite). You climbed up on the roof with some socket wrenches and screwedrivers, and move it around a little up/down, and right/left, while the wife shouted out the window "better" or "worse".

It can get interesting if there are more than one satellite to point the dish at...
if it’s a relatively modern dish there are 3 horns and 4 wires coming out of the dish. Label each wire so you can reattach it. Make a template of the current bolts attaching the masts foot to the roof. Get exact measurements from a known reference point that won’t change with the new roof. Only remove the 4 lag bolts holding the foot to the roof, do not touch anything else at all for tilt, angle, or rotation. Really, make sure you don’t knock the alignment screws when moving or storing the dish. Reinstall with good tar paper self healing pad under the foot and drill the lag bolts through that for water seal. If you did the template/measurements right you should be fine.

there is a test screen for signal strength, but it’s an honest to god pain to fine tune a dish based on it. All installers have an inline meter they peak the signal with. Hopefully it was peaked during the initial install and if nothing moves for up/down/left/right/rotate before/after it should be just as good as new.

good luck!

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Make a cardboard template of the holes after you pull the dish, then loacate the template from the roof edge measuremt! Easy peasy!
this but take measurements from rake board as the roof edge will change. It will still only be a ball park measurement
Great idea! I put a piece of gorilla tape on the top edge of the gutter and measured from that to the edge of the dish feet/brackets. Also measured from the side of the house for another reference. I climbed up and removed the screws/clips that fasten the wiring to the house. Now I will just have to unscrew the bolts. Shouldn’t be too bad. My lovely IKO shingles on the other hand...are bad [laugh]
The shingles on the shaded side look almost brand new however. 30+ years old. It’s overdue...
3DF89540-78D3-4551-A299-4905EADF46FE.jpeg8715E4B6-F8A3-4DB3-804A-4F1D8E965EFE.jpeg2C97BC65-1735-4CDA-9F5A-44DAD145D2D9.jpeg

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
if it’s a relatively modern dish there are 3 horns and 4 wires coming out of the dish. Label each wire so you can reattach it. Make a template of the current bolts attaching the masts foot to the roof. Get exact measurements from a known reference point that won’t change with the new roof. Only remove the 4 lag bolts holding the foot to the roof, do not touch anything else at all for tilt, angle, or rotation. Really, make sure you don’t knock the alignment screws when moving or storing the dish. Reinstall with good tar paper self healing pad under the foot and drill the lag bolts through that for water seal. If you did the template/measurements right you should be fine.

there is a test screen for signal strength, but it’s an honest to god pain to fine tune a dish based on it. All installers have an inline meter they peak the signal with. Hopefully it was peaked during the initial install and if nothing moves for up/down/left/right/rotate before/after it should be just as good as new.

good luck!
Installed in mid 2013

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great idea! I put a piece of gorilla tape on the top edge of the gutter and measured from that to the edge of the dish feet/brackets. Also measured from the side of the house for another reference. I climbed up and removed the screws/clips that fasten the wiring to the house. Now I will just have to unscrew the bolts. Shouldn’t be too bad. My lovely IKO shingles on the other hand...are bad [laugh]
The shingles on the shaded side look almost brand new however. 30+ years old. It’s overdue...
View attachment 345558View attachment 345560View attachment 345561
BTW, you need a new roof too!

[smile]

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
BTW, you need a new roof too!

[smile]
You ain't kidding!![laugh]
It doesn't leak but boy does it look like shit on the sunny side. $7500...3 feet of ice water shield around the edges, new flashing around chimney and CertainTeed shingles with 30 year warranty, 10 year fungi warranty. He originally quoted me $7k until I showed him the chimney and he's like add another $500 for lead flashing...

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you’re roofer ice and water that entire roof there. When he says that’s a little extra, you say that’s fine. Unless you’re selling the house soon, then whatever. I would ice and water that whole portion regardless, but the fact that you’ll be screwing something into it, the ice and water helps seal around those penetrations.

And holy f*** your roof is bad!!! That peeled portion must not have any air flow beneath....it gets hot there!!!!

alan226

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
DirectTV is great until you need service. AFAIK, the still use contractors to do all their installs and service. They have no actual company personnel doing service/ installation.

Quick story. Moved into a new house 12 years ago. Had DirectTV in the previous house. Bought a new DTV system with all the bells and whistles. DVR, Multi-room HD, the works. Called for an install. They shipped the equipment to the house within a few days but couldn't get an installer out for a week to ten days. OK. fine. 10 days later the installer shows up. Driving a beat to shit Toyota Corolla with a ladder hanging out the rear window. Almost no English. Finally gets the dish installed on the roof. He leaves. Next day, it's not working because the dish is out of alignment. The installer didn't tighten it down enough. I call DTV and they had the balls to tell me that they were way behind and it would take 3-4 weeks to get someone out to fix THEIR mistake. And this is the kicker. They said if I want, I could look in the yellow pages and probably find some one to do it quicker, but that I would have to pay for it.

Really? I cancelled it on the spot and went with Verizon FIOS.

I have an actual unbridled hate for everything that is Direct TV....

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Have you’re roofer ice and water that entire roof there. When he says that’s a little extra, you say that’s fine. Unless you’re selling the house soon, then whatever. I would ice and water that whole portion regardless, but the fact that you’ll be screwing something into it, the ice and water helps seal around those penetrations.

And holy f*** your roof is bad!!! That peeled portion must not have any air flow beneath....it gets hot there!!!!
We have no plans on selling anytime soon so I'm trying to do everything right. I'm hesitant to water shield the entire roof just because the attic has limited ventilation. Only have one gable vent...Need two for proper airflow, and ideally some type of blower/fan to move the air around - haven't got around to doing that yet...

This roof now doesn't have any ice and water shield and hasn't leaked so maybe it's not really needed on the entire roof? [laugh]

No actually that peeled portion is the porch roof. Right below that dish, is my side doorway entrance [laugh]
My roofer thinks it peeled because it's those shitty recalled IKO shingles?

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
DirectTV is great until you need service. AFAIK, the still use contractors to do all their installs and service. They have no actual company personnel doing service/ installation.

Quick story. Moved into a new house 12 years ago. Had DirectTV in the previous house. Bought a new DTV system with all the bells and whistles. DVR, Multi-room HD, the works. Called for an install. They shipped the equipment to the house within a few days but couldn't get an installer out for a week to ten days. OK. fine. 10 days later the installer shows up. Driving a beat to shit Toyota Corolla with a ladder hanging out the rear window. Almost no English. Finally gets the dish installed on the roof. He leaves. Next day, it's not working because the dish is out of alignment. The installer didn't tighten it down enough. I call DTV and they had the balls to tell me that they were way behind and it would take 3-4 weeks to get someone out to fix THEIR mistake. And this is the kicker. They said if I want, I could look in the yellow pages and probably find some one to do it quicker, but that I would have to pay for it.

Really? I cancelled it on the spot and went with Verizon FIOS.

I have an actual unbridled hate for everything that is Direct TV....
That's f***ed. We only have DirectTV because we have ATT cell phones and my wife gets an ATT discount where she works - like 20% off I think.

Top Bottom