Anyone with kids have their Doctor ask if there are guns in the house yet?

Isn't it terrible when a physician feels he's being blamed for tens of thousands of deaths by medical misadventure when he, personally, has never caused the death of a patient? I kind of feel the same way about being demonized because of what criminals and madmen do with their guns.

Absolutely class-less. Disrespectful.

I see 3,000+ people a year and do my very best. You know what? I help many people that are still on this planet because of me. I cannot afford to make ONE mistake. How is that for a job. No margin for error, ever. Grow up.

If you took that as a personal insult, the point just went flying past you at about the speed of heat.

Doctors kill people. Not generally because of maliciousness, but because they are human and medical science is imperfect. I am pretty sure Carl was pointing out the absurdity, hypocritical-ness, and less than scientific nature of PCP's asking all patients whether there is a gun in the home. Most of those PCP's do not have any educational material available, nor are they in any way qualified to advise their patients on what constitutes safe gun ownership. And statistically, their patients have much bigger risks that the PCP's should be focusing on...like drowning or car accidents or cardiovascular disease or maybe the mistakes that are a product of an overloaded, uncoordinated health system staffed by humans. They should focus on what they are qualified to opine on.

And in response to a point made with alleged facts, you can only counter with accusations of it being not a nice thing to say because your job is oh so hard? No. Dispute facts. You are not entitled to kid glove treatment because of your profession or the collection of letters you have amassed after your name.

We are talking about medical care, not your feelings. The fact is that the intrusive, agenda-driven behavior that triggered this thread is causing people to lie to their doctors and avoid seeking medical care. The behavior of these doctors is making some of the problems you all deal with WORSE and erodes the trust of the public more broadly...think of the anti-vaccination crowd. If people do not trust their doctor to be professional and respectful while delivering fact-based care, it has consequences for health care generally, individual health outcomes, and the role of science in society more broadly. There is much more at stake here than your ego and that is without bringing the faintest whiff of tinfoil into the conversation.

Last edited:
I'm only 18 and I can say that my little brother and myself have never been asked about that. I don't think doctors should have any say on the subject of firearms in the house. I wouldn't say yes even if my parents had one. I feel it will only give them a hard time is all.

I'm only 18 and I can say that my little brother and myself have never been asked about that. I don't think doctors should have any say on the subject of firearms in the house. I wouldn't say yes even if my parents had one. I feel it will only give them a hard time is all.

You are wise beyond your years sir.

The American Academy of Pediatrics, and American Academy of Family Physicians, are as much a product of "the long march through the institutions" as Hollywood and the educational establishment. You'd be a fool to think otherwise. Thinking that your communications with your doctor are private and will remain so is foolish, as well. It's no conspiracy theory. It's a conspiracy, period.

LOL

Pretty ****ing funny, huh?

"To promote public safety, health professionals and health systems should ask about firearm ownership when taking a medical history or engaging in preventive counseling," the report states. "Patients should be provided with information about the risks of having a firearm in the home, as well as methods to reduce the risk, should they continue to choose to keep them." (3)

According to the New York Observer article, "The group is also calling for more conventional measures, such as mandatory background checks of purchasers at gun shows, limits on the number of guns that can be purchased by individuals and a waiting period for all gun buyers. This is the first time that such a large group of doctors has taken a position on gun control."

Doctors to Spy on Patients' Gun Ownership

Except when the parent is the abuser or incapable of caring for their child that shows signs of never seeing a bathtub and is covered with scabies, lice, and weighs less than 95% of the population. Children are quite honest, adults are not.

I will revise my statement, You are 100% correct if there are signs of abuse.

LO ****ing L.

The academy notably also supported Chicago's handgun ban in a case that came before the U.S. Supreme Court. "The best way to truly protect children from firearm injuries is to get guns out of their homes, their neighborhoods and where they play," said AAP President Judith S. Palfrey. "If we don't, too many children will continue to be hurt or die needlessly."

And Hammer pointed us toward another position statement that she said had been on a second AAP website, HealthyChildren.org - Healthy Children. "The most effective way to prevent firearm-related injury to children is to keep guns out of homes and communities. The American Academy of Pediatrics strongly supports gun-control legislation. We believe that handguns, deadly air guns and assault weapons should be banned."

PolitiFact Florida | Gun lobbyist says doctors play politics with gun question

I am moving on to another thread because the last time I tried to argue with some of you conspiracy theorists that never reply with anything but how the whole world is plotting against you, it was a massive waste of time and bandwidth. Go on believing what you like. I guess I will go collect all sorts of data and email it to Obama to be used against you in order to take your guns. Paranoia.

Some of you might think you make valid points and debate well. But, the reality is you think you are 100% correct and dismiss any logical argument in favor of your skewed beliefs.

It must be so tiring to go through life constantly in fear of anyone and everything.

Actually, there are only guns in the house when my Mom and Dad are home. They each carry a few of them at all times. Dad, show the nice doctor your guns. My favorite is the MAC-10 in your coat.

I haven't read the entire thread but as a psychiatrist I can tell you that access to firearms is a standard question on all initial evaluations, particularly in patients with current or past suicidal thoughts/violent ideations. I can't speak for general pediatrics but in terms of youth suicide, access to firearms is the most important measure to assess. Most youngsters commit suicide via firearms. It's a question on the board exam every single year. Not only psychiatry but the psychiatry section of general medicine boards.

You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.

The Big List of Who Hates Guns
The Big List of Who Hates Guns | The Daily Caller

NRA Files Brief Accusing Medical Society of Anti-Gun Agenda
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/772882

AAP: Gun-Free Home Is Safest for Kids
AAP: Gun-Free Home Is Safest for Kids

American Academy of Pediatrics Still Living in the Past
Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership » Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership

American Academy of Pediatrics: Concerned about their Agenda, not about Kids
American Academy of Pediatrics: Anti gun agenda |

American Association of Pediatrics Still Clinging to its anti-Gun Agenda
American Association of Pediatrics Still Clinging to its anti-Gun Agenda | NSSF Blog

Big brother to log your drinking habits and waist size as GPs are forced to hand over confidential records
Big brother to log your drinking habits and waist size | Mail Online

Last edited:
Funny you ask I live in a town which was primary a blue caller semi hunting town when I was a kid (some time ago). For the last 20 years it has become so left an anti, save Darfour on every corner they even stole my McCain signs 3 times. I have been asked by Doctors, parents and teachers if there were guns stored in my house, Had a parent drop there kid off to hang with my kid on more than one occasion and out of the blue ask if there were any firearms @ our house. I have always told the truth if they didn't like it then so be it. My kids are healthy have many friends and like to shoot and hunt.

I just tell my kids if the doctor or teacher asks questions about firearms they should tell them we do not speak about private matters outside the family and to speak with their father. If I'm there I'll gladly talk to the doctor about my firearms knowledge and ask them about their drinking habits, if they own guns, any history of drug usage, etc. I figure since we are sharing our private matters and they do have my kids life in their hands

Here's something that will make people mad. I know of two towns in Massachusetts, one of them I live in, that require a Physician's affidavit stating the applicant is mentally stable when applying for an LTC. That's for all applicants. You don't get the letter, you don't get the LTC.

I am moving on to another thread because the last time I tried to argue with some of you conspiracy theorists that never reply with anything but how the whole world is plotting against you, it was a massive waste of time and bandwidth. Go on believing what you like. I guess I will go collect all sorts of data and email it to Obama to be used against you in order to take your guns. Paranoia.

Some of you might think you make valid points and debate well. But, the reality is you think you are 100% correct and dismiss any logical argument in favor of your skewed beliefs.

It must be so tiring to go through life constantly in fear of anyone and everything.

That's right doc, take your ball and go home.

My doctor keeps gun and hunting magazines in the waiting room and will not put anything into a computer if you request him to do so.

Find a new doctor and pay cash.

Conspiracy theories aside:

At the Sudbury Gun Violence meeting a few weeks back the "experts" were MDs.

They advocate treating firearms as a public health issue. The analogy was mosquitos that carry yellow fever. They were eradicated (or mostly were), and the great work of the Panama Canal was completed.

So, yes, there is an agenda.....maybe not all MDs are on the inside, but there's a group that is using this tactic.

Isn't it terrible when a physician feels he's being blamed for tens of thousands of deaths by medical misadventure when he, personally, has never caused the death of a patient? I kind of feel the same way about being demonized because of what criminals and madmen do with their guns.

Oh, THAT'S going to leave a mark.

Do I believe that there is a vast conspiracy in the medical profession to ban guns, of course not. But to suggest that there is not a movement afoot to with the avowed goal of banning guns would be to ignore the obvious. I find it interesting that no one has addressed the fact that the Center for Disease Control has wanted to make gun ownership a public health issue. It's efforts have been thwarted until now by congress but that is fast changing.

Medical professionals are the sum total of their education and experience. Four years of undergrad, then med school followed by residency and maybe a post med school PhD or MPH is going to be a long time to spend in academia and become convinced that "progressive" values are the only values.

I wonder how many faculty members of the medical schools in Boston are pro-2A and of those that are, keep quiet about it lest they rock the boat and not get tenure or experience peer rejection? It's not about a medical conspiracy, it is about, as the late Charlton Heaston said cultural warfare which crosses through every demographic and social dynamic in our country. In one sense it is almost akin to the impact that the issue of slavery had on 18th and 19th Century America.

my daughter's pediatrician lives next store. they must know as her husband came acros the back yard last sumer to say "what the hell was that!? (i was more than 100 yards away) and i said "sorry, sighing in a 98k"

what-you-did-there-i-see-itthumbnai.jpg

[laugh]

Very true. And yes, there seems to be a lot of folks here that believe the whole world is plotting against them. That kind of creeps me out more than anything else. There really is no point in arguing with those particular members because everything said will be twisted in tin foil. LOL.
This is the truest statement in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom