Anyone willing to take newbies out for bird?

kalash

NES Member
There are three of us friends (all on NES) that would like to get started in bird hunting. We've all gone through the hunter ed course; we all have hunting licenses; we shoot skeet together regularly; we have state and federal waterfowl/duck stamps; and we're all quite anal about safety. We're all roughly in the metro west area.

Since we'd rather not just yahoo around the woods with shotguns because "how hard can it be", we're hoping that someone would be willing to take us out for a day and show us the ropes. We had a previous offer but life got into that individual's way, as it tends to do with all of us, and they won't have the time for this. No, we don't need to know your secret spots - public land is fine, as far as we're concerned. Could be waterfowl or upland, doesn't matter.

If anyone is gracious enough to take us up on this, post here or shoot me a PM and we can set up a four-way email chain or something. Thanks!

If nobody takes you up on this request....there is no shame in going to a pheasant stocked wma with no dogs. Just zig zag the waste high fields and you might flush some birds. Ive taken. Handful of pheasants this way over the years! Also you can take a squirrel or two during the upland game bird season as well if tou happen accross those. Just take the gun for a walk and see what happens.

I don't have a dog, and am relatively new myself, but I hunt Bolton Flats pretty regularly once the season starts. You'll need knee high boots to get in there most of the time, but if y'all want to come along, you're more than welcome. I know a few spots where they've been shot before, so might be worth a try.

I would highly suggest a day at Addieville in RI
Next best thing to a real bird experience on ur own.
You have great fields, dogs and people around and you know the birds are there.
Then go out west.

You should consider squirrel hunting for a first time kick! Got two this afternoon with my son.

There are three of us friends (all on NES) that would like to get started in bird hunting. We've all gone through the hunter ed course; we all have hunting licenses; we shoot skeet together regularly; we have state and federal waterfowl/duck stamps; and we're all quite anal about safety. We're all roughly in the metro west area.

Since we'd rather not just yahoo around the woods with shotguns because "how hard can it be", we're hoping that someone would be willing to take us out for a day and show us the ropes. We had a previous offer but life got into that individual's way, as it tends to do with all of us, and they won't have the time for this. No, we don't need to know your secret spots - public land is fine, as far as we're concerned. Could be waterfowl or upland, doesn't matter.

If anyone is gracious enough to take us up on this, post here or shoot me a PM and we can set up a four-way email chain or something. Thanks!

we hunt pheasant at Bolton flats. We have a dog and don't mind teaching new guys if you wan send me a PM

I pretty much only hunt the Cape, so if you are all ever out this way I can bring you out 4x4'ing on Sandy Neck beach. They stock pheasant there and its quite a unique experience as far as upland game goes.

If nobody takes you up on this request....there is no shame in going to a pheasant stocked wma with no dogs. Just zig zag the waste high fields and you might flush some birds. Ive taken. Handful of pheasants this way over the years! Also you can take a squirrel or two during the upland game bird season as well if tou happen accross those. Just take the gun for a walk and see what happens.

why the 'no dog' recommendation? are dogs not allowed on WMA this year for some reason?

why the 'no dog' recommendation? are dogs not allowed on WMA this year for some reason?

I think he's just saying that's it's an option if you don't have access to a dog. It's the tactic I largely use as I'm without canine companionship that isn't my parents hyperactive Goldendoodle or fat Golden Retriever.

I think he's just saying that's it's an option if you don't have access to a dog. It's the tactic I largely use as I'm without canine companionship that isn't my parents hyperactive Goldendoodle or fat Golden Retriever.
That is exactly what i am saying. And why I specifically said "if nobody takes you up on the request".

I would be glad to bring you as a guest on a preserve pheasant hunt over pointing dog. I would have to check with my club to see if I could do 3 guests on a hunt, I thought the rule was one.

(If you did want to go, I would ask you to pay for your birds)

Last edited:
What kind of boots do you guys tend to wear? Water boots or gore-tex hunting boots?

Pheasant hunting I have worn conventional hiking boots, Altama jungle boots a a fairly lightweight pair of cheap insulated Brahma hunting boots. I have worn trail running shoes as well- several times while squirrel hunting, maybe while pheasant hunting once as well. I believe that footwear is going to be dependent on exactly what/where you are hunting.

Thanks for all the responses, they're all appreciated. Currently working something out with one person, with another as a back-up, so to speak. Quite frankly, I'd be happy to go out with as many different people as possible because I'm sure I could learn something from each of you.

What kind of boots do you guys tend to wear? Water boots or gore-tex hunting boots?
Muck edgewater. Covers me from everything from squirrel to duck to show shoe hare to deer. That is all i wear when hunting. Had the same pair now for 4 years. Even wear em ice fishing. Bout 100 rockets and well worth it for the all Around use and they last forever.

Last edited:
Muck Boots here, too. I think the model is XJR. Wear them for everything from pheasant to turkey to deer to squirrel.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try a $30 pair of agriculture rubber boots and see how they do. If they are total crap then I will have to spring for the Muck Boots next year.

I already have a pair of high-top gore-tex hunting boots and hip waders but neither seem appropriate for this application.

Also, thank for the various hunting tips in this thread and others: Much appreciated by a total noob.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try a $30 pair of agriculture rubber boots and see how they do. If they are total crap then I will have to spring for the Muck Boots next year.

I already have a pair of high-top gore-tex hunting boots and hip waders but neither seem appropriate for this application.

Also, thank for the various hunting tips in this thread and others: Much appreciated by a total noob.
Hip boots aren't actually a bad idea. I know folks who hunt Bolton Flats in them - if they're rugged enough, you don't need upland pants to beat the brush. My uncle used to hunt Bolton in them.

Also, look at the bargain cave at Cabela's or Dicks - I got my mucks for about $50 or $60 last year.

Hip boots aren't actually a bad idea. I know folks who hunt Bolton Flats in them - if they're rugged enough, you don't need upland pants to beat the brush. My uncle used to hunt Bolton in them.

Also, look at the bargain cave at Cabela's or Dicks - I got my mucks for about $50 or $60 last year.

for upland game (pheasant squirrels grouse rabbit) nothing beats muck edgewaters and a pair of filson canvas chaps over jeans. But a pair of caarhart (or equivilant like dickeys) duck canvas pants with the double knee work too. Gotta get through the sticker brush without bleeding!!!

Stay out of the grass. Pheasant don't search the sports channels to go where they should be. Hunt the swamps, thickets and cattails, that's where everyone pushes them and no one hunts there be a use you get wet, muddy and smell like poo.
If your dog isn't well trained, leave it. In so sick of hearing people screaming for their damn purebred mutts.

Stay out of the grass. Pheasant don't search the sports channels to go where they should be. Hunt the swamps, thickets and cattails, that's where everyone pushes them and no one hunts there be a use you get wet, muddy and smell like poo.
If your dog isn't well trained, leave it. In so sick of hearing people screaming for their damn purebred mutts.
Good advice. The times i have pushed without a dog in the high grass they had just stocked the wma. Ive seen pheasants struttin down the asphault road 1/2 mile or morw from the wma before. The do get pushed off a distance after a few groups go through.

ABSOLUTELY. I know a few people with Lyme's and they are miserable because of it. I am spraying down my field pants and jacket tonight for Saturday's walk out on Sandy Neck.

I have a big yellow spray bottle of it and will "refresh" my gear Friday night before going out Saturday, thanks for the reminder.

I'm doing a refresher on my boots, pants, vest and shirt tonight with my big yellow bottle. I stick some supplemental spray in my lumbar pack for my face and neck.

And I'm remembering to do it outside this time.

Back
Top Bottom