1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone want to help out a returning, middle-aged college student?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zzrider, Apr 10, 2010.

1. zzrider

zzrider

Hey fellow NES'ers. So I guess I must have lost my mind, having decided to return to school at 44. I'm currently taking a required Sociology course, and the final is to conduct a study on a group of which I am a member. Naturally, my own gun club and the extended on-line community was a natural choice for me.

That said, if anyone is interested, it would be a huge help to me to have you answer a few brief questions here about your experiences as a member of your gun club(s). Of course, this is totally anonymous and you don't even have to give the name of your club itself. I'm only interested in the people's feelings as members of their club as a social organization.

You can certainly send me answers in a PM if you don't want to answer them openly, but I think this might also be interesting for others to read, as I know we tend to be a pretty tight-knit community.

So, if you're interested in helping out a new old college student, here are my questions!

1) How long have you been a member of your sportsman’s club or clubs?

2) On average, how many times a month would you estimate that you participate and/or attend activities at your club?

3) Do you attend functions and activities at your club with other close family members?

4) Do you maintain friendships with other members of the club outside of the club itself and club functions?

5) In your opinion, what would you say the primary purpose of your club is?

6) How is being a member of this club different from other parts of your life?

7) What sort of things do you do or experience at your club that you think is different or unique from the social activities of other people who don’t belong to such organizations?

8) What are the three most important things to you about being a member in your club(s)?

9) What are your fondest memories that you have of being a member of your club?

10) Do you think you will still be a member of your current club(s) in 5 years? If so, in what ways do you think your club might change over the next 5 years?

11) How important to you is your membership and participation in the club, and how would you feel if you were no longer able to be a part of it, or if the club were to cease to exist?

Many, many thanks! [grin]

2. BossHarley

BossHarley

Hey fellow NES'ers. So I guess I must have lost my mind, having decided to return to school at 44. I'm currently taking a required Sociology course, and the final is to conduct a study on a group of which I am a member. Naturally, my own gun club and the extended on-line community was a natural choice for me.

That said, if anyone is interested, it would be a huge help to me to have you answer a few brief questions here about your experiences as a member of your gun club(s). Of course, this is totally anonymous and you don't even have to give the name of your club itself. I'm only interested in the people's feelings as members of their club as a social organization.

You can certainly send me answers in a PM if you don't want to answer them openly, but I think this might also be interesting for others to read, as I know we tend to be a pretty tight-knit community.

So, if you're interested in helping out a new old college student, here are my questions!

1) How long have you been a member of your sportsman’s club or clubs? 8 y

2) On average, how many times a month would you estimate that you participate and/or attend activities at your club? 5-10

3) Do you attend functions and activities at your club with other close family members? rarely

4) Do you maintain friendships with other members of the club outside of the club itself and club functions? Yes

5) In your opinion, what would you say the primary purpose of your club is? promote shooting sports

6) How is being a member of this club different from other parts of your life? Not

7) What sort of things do you do or experience at your club that you think is different or unique from the social activities of other people who don’t belong to such organizations? Most members of my club(s) I would say are pretty closed minded about a lot of issues, I am a very open minded person, and typically associate with other open minded people.

8) What are the three most important things to you about being a member in your club(s)? Place to shoot, promotion of shooting sports, friendship.

9) What are your fondest memories that you have of being a member of your club? Met some good people

10) Do you think you will still be a member of your current club(s) in 5 years? If so, in what ways do you think your club might change over the next 5 years? Yes upgrading buildings

11) How important to you is your membership and participation in the club, and how would you feel if you were no longer able to be a part of it, or if the club were to cease to exist? I would be upset, but if other similar clubs were available I would be ok.
    Many, many thanks! [grin]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  3. careful34

careful34

1) How long have you been a member of your sportsman’s club or clubs? 6 years

2) On average, how many times a month would you estimate that you participate and/or attend activities at your club? 1/4? I use it maybe 3 times a summer

3) Do you attend functions and activities at your club with other close family members? yes

4) Do you maintain friendships with other members of the club outside of the club itself and club functions? No

5) In your opinion, what would you say the primary purpose of your club is? Having a place to shoot!

6) How is being a member of this club different from other parts of your life? It's the only thing I pay to be a member of.

7) What sort of things do you do or experience at your club that you think is different or unique from the social activities of other people who don’t belong to such organizations? shoot guns?

8) What are the three most important things to you about being a member in your club(s)? The one most important thing is maintaining a place where I practice with tools to protect my family

9) What are your fondest memories that you have of being a member of your club? Teaching my son to shoot.

10) Do you think you will still be a member of your current club(s) in 5 years? If so, in what ways do you think your club might change over the next 5 years? Yes. We'll probably rebuild some buildings we had to tear down.

11) How important to you is your membership and participation in the club, and how would you feel if you were no longer able to be a part of it, or if the club were to cease to exist?I would defiantly find another like it. But none are close.

4. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor Dealer NES Member

1) How long have you been a member of your sportsman’s club or clubs? Three years

2) On average, how many times a month would you estimate that you participate and/or attend activities at your club?If you mean, attend meetings? 0. If you mean organized shoots, 3-4 times/year. Just go shooting? 2-3 times a month.

3) Do you attend functions and activities at your club with other close family members? No.

4) Do you maintain friendships with other members of the club outside of the club itself and club functions? Yes

5) In your opinion, what would you say the primary purpose of your club is? To have a place to shoot.

6) How is being a member of this club different from other parts of your life? I shoot at the club; I don't shoot elsewhere. I maintain a membership because otherwise I will have no place to shoot at all - but if I owned enough of my own land to shoot on it, I probably wouldn't be a member.

7) What sort of things do you do or experience at your club that you think is different or unique from the social activities of other people who don’t belong to such organizations? We shoot there?

8) What are the three most important things to you about being a member in your club(s)? 1 - has a lot of ranges from 7 yards to 300 yards. 2 - I don't have to run the gauntlet of a stinky bar to shoot. 3 - the Board of Directors truly cares about ALL shooting sports.

9) What are your fondest memories that you have of being a member of your club? Being on the line one day picking up something from a NES group buy and discovering that of the dozen+ shooters there, EVERY ONE was a NESer.

10) Do you think you will still be a member of your current club(s) in 5 years? If so, in what ways do you think your club might change over the next 5 years? Yes. Don't know, but if the current Board stays in charge, they would only be positive, such as adding more facilities for more types of shooting.

11) How important to you is your membership and participation in the club, and how would you feel if you were no longer able to be a part of it, or if the club were to cease to exist? Somewhat important, but if it went out of business I would just look for another club to join.

I hope this helps you out, zzrider. I can tell you that my answers would be MUCH different had you asked me about my membership in the FreeMasons. But my gun club? It's just a place to shoot, mostly. I do my associating with gun-owning friends through NES and the events that we hold - so I don't need the club to fulfill that purpose. Kind of an interesting slant on things and how the Internet has changed club membership (at least in this case), isn't it?

5. center442

center442 NES Member

Good luck with your college career! [grin]

6. Bolt308

Bolt308

7. MST_2009

MST_2009

PM sent...

8. BradM

BradM

I'll shoot you a PM.

Good for you btw. I'm 34 and decided to go back to school myself to major in Political Science and History. It's a different world going back to school when you're older.

9. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

10. zzrider

zzrider

Many thanks to all who replied! This is HUGE help. I think I'll be able to get a decent project put together afterall. [smile]

I'll still be collecting responses for a few more days if anyone else wants to take a stab at it.

It's strange - I'm actually enjoying school more, getting more out of it, and finding it means more to me now than it did the first time around when I went for my first degree right out of high school. Youth truly is wasted on the young. [laugh]