Anyone want to buy some bulk stainless media with me?

Just finished up my homemade tumbler based on Bigdawgs tumbler and now I need to get some media to get tumbling... I only need 10lbs so we could order 50lbs if enough are interested.

Awesome you are probably relatively close to me too I'm in the Brookfields. Lets see if we can get close to 50lbs for interest... I could get 15lbs if I had to.

Can it be used in a large bowl type vibratory tumbler? I have the large tumbler from Harbor Freight and use walnut right now but some of my stuff needs a more thorough cleaning and I don't want to run the thing constantly. How much does the stainless go for?

If we go bulk it would be approximately $5.50/lb. Usually is roughly $2 more per pound.

- - - Updated - - -

Can it be used in a large bowl type vibratory tumbler? I have the large tumbler from Harbor Freight and use walnut right now but some of my stuff needs a more thorough cleaning and I don't want to run the thing constantly. How much does the stainless go for?

Honestly unsure but definitely a good question to ask in the reloading forum I'm sure!

Just finished up my homemade tumbler based on Bigdawgs tumbler and now I need to get some media to get tumbling... I only need 10lbs so we could order 50lbs if enough are interested.

I did this a year or so ago...

5 pounds of media just fits in a $5.85 USPS small flat rate box.

Stainless steel pins work great in large vibratory tumblers, I tumble 5 pounds of pins, 2 pounds of brass and 1 gallon of water is this tumbler no problem.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html#.UxyfrPSwIsI

I am not sure how good the pins would work in a smaller unit.

Chris

I was looking here for the prices I listed. Seems to be the best around and the pins that are just slightly larger so they won't get stuck in flash holes but small enough to still clean reasonably fast.

"Note that Stainless Steel Tumbling Media is designed for wet tumbling in a rotary tumbler. It should not be used in a vibratory tumbler."

Sure glad I know more about deburring and cleaning than the guys selling the media...[grin]

Maybe it won't work in the smaller vibratory tumblers that most people have, my 18 pound model probably has at least a 3/8" oscillation.

cleanbrass02.jpg

cleanbrass01.jpg

Sure glad I know more about deburring and cleaning than the guys selling the media...[grin]

Maybe it won't work in the smaller vibratory tumblers that most people have, my 18 pound model probably has at least a 3/8" oscillation.

Just a guess but it may have to do with wear and tear rather than whether it cleans well or not. I would imagine steel pins vibrating at high speed for hours on end will wear the bowl faster than ground walnut shells. They're probably just trying to protect their butts in case someone calls and says their media destroyed their bowl. [thinking]

Just a guess but it may have to do with wear and tear rather than whether it cleans well or not. I would imagine steel pins vibrating at high speed for hours on end will wear the bowl faster than ground walnut shells. They're probably just trying to protect their butts in case someone calls and says their media destroyed their bowl. [thinking]

Good point, these bowls are pretty tough. My previous hobby was restoring old woodworking machinery and I used to load that tumbler with plastic triangles with embedded abrasive and lots of bolts and small parts that were covered in paint and rust.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom