• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone want to adopt some goats?

Ingredients

3- 3½ pounds goat meat (cut in chunks)
¼- ½ cup cooking oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 medium onion sliced
4-5 Tablespoons Curry powder
1-teaspoon white pepper
1-2 teaspoons fresh thyme
2 green onions sliced
2-3 medium potatoes
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 scotch bonnet pepper (adjust to suit taste buds or replace with any hot pepper)
1 tablespoon Bouillon powder (optional)
Salt to taste

Instructions

Season goat with, salt and pepper. Set aside
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the goat meat sauté stirring, frequently, any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, until goat is brown.
Then add curry, stir for about 1-2 minutes.
Add the garlic, white pepper, onions,thyme, tomato paste, scallions (green onions) and scotch bonnet pepper stir for about a minute.
Then pour in just enough water to cover the goat and bring to a boil and let it simmer until tender (depending on the goat size and preference) about 2 hours or more, stirring the saucepan occasionally and adding more water as needed..
About 15-20 minutes before you remove from the stove add potatoes and bouillon powder. Continue cooking until potatoes are tender, if you want really thick curry goat let the potatoes cook even more .
You may adjust thickness of soup with water or stock.

A friend raises goats and makes goat cheese. He says worldwide, more than 50% of the red meat eaten is goat. They can live anywhere and thrive on anything. Having a few for SHTF would be great.

I'd like to have them to clear out the poison ivy and other crap growing in my backyard

aLQXO8z_700b.jpg

I just got a male goat and im looking at a female next, our friends up the road have a 80 head goat farm and im hooked on them. Other than the goat milk the baby needs till the are weaned off they will eat just about anything without a pit. Cherry is very bad for them along with ( again ) any fruits with pits, or lettuce or cabbage makes them bloat.

My little guy is not interested much in the lawn, but he will chomp down on anything in the woods. We get our milk from the goat farm up the road and my kids along with us help in payment plus they are super nice folks and enjoy getting people interested in raising and keeping for them.

Im on a small 2 acre lot in the woods and my two neighbors have no problem with us having one, the lady across the way wants one to, now lol.

Jason.

i went to a goat roast they are very tasty. a dry rub and cook on an open fire yum. i had no idea goat was good until a few years ago.

I wouldn't mind having one eat all the weeds behind my house. Maybe if I had more land I would consider grabbing some but it's just not in the cards. I think my town needs a license or some BS for livestock animals anyways.

From a FB friend:

You guys...
Thanks to all of our sweet friends who are tagging, texting, and inboxing <redacted> and I about the 46 goats who need a home.
We just can't. They have a bacterial illness that is super treatable for goats, but fatal to chickens... So we aren't the right fit.
If you come across any local mini donkeys however... :)

Awesome idea. I also have tons of poison ivy out back and on the side of the lot. I'm certain that it is illegal to have them in my town without >x acres and special permits, probably true for a rental as well.

i think i read that the mspca makes you sign a contract saying you won't use the goats for breeding dairy goats and that they can't be slaughtered...i understand the no slaughtering but why the dairy stipulation?

you need to breed them to get milk....

i think i read that the mspca makes you sign a contract saying you won't use the goats for breeding dairy goats and that they can't be slaughtered...i understand the no slaughtering but why the dairy stipulation?

Start a brush clearing business.
When I lived in CA there were businesses that would stake a goat on your property and swing by every day or 2 to check on the goat and move the stake. They had plenty of customers. The crunchy-granola greenies loved it. The companies uses all the right buzz-words in their adds: green, sustainable, no polluting gas powered equipment, etc.

Goats do eat anything including things that are poisonous to them. You have to do a manual examination of any area you make available to them to insure it does not have an abundance of anything toxic.

Goats do eat anything including things that are poisonous to them. You have to do a manual examination of any area you make available to them to insure it does not have an abundance of anything toxic.

This, plus most goats move on after eating the same thing all the time. My friends place they get a few hundred left over Christmas trees, the goats eat them up like candy, up until they are tired of them then they just turn away from them.
Plus they aren't big on grass or at least my goat doesn't.

Jason.

Mannish Water

Ingredients;
  • 2 pound Goat Head
  • 1 1/2 gallons Water
  • 5 Green Bananas, sliced
  • 1 pound Yellow Yams, diced
  • 1 1/2 Cho-chos, seeds and skin removed, chopped
  • 1/2 pound Carrots, diced
  • 1/2 pound Turnips, diced
  • 1 1/2 bunches Scallions, chopped
  • 2 Scotch Bonnet Peppers, chopped
  • 3 sprigs Thyme, chopped
  • 1/2 tbsp Salt

Directions;
Singe the hair off the head, then saw the head into 1” to 1-1/2" cubes.
I’ve done it with a Miter Saw, a Band Saw is better, have a Butcher do it best.
Chop any meat that comes away from the skull into small pieces,
rinse and place into a large stockpot, skull and all. Add the water and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer 2-1/2 hours, until the meat is tender.
Add the remaining ingredients and cook 1 more hour.

you need to breed them to get milk....

Yeah, I always laugh at people who are horrified that there is such a thing as veal, yet they happily drink cow milk. You can't possibly raise every baby that is born in the production of milk, so you have to do something with them.

That is probably why this herd got so big that the owner couldn't take care of them.

one day I want to get a few goats but I travel to much.....have been fascinated with them for years...

I was there yesterday place is loaded with goats and lots of people lookjngg at them. The contract not to slaughter seems odd.....most people that own them slaughter them past the breesing prime from my knowledge. Might put a damper on how many they cam find homes for. I was there to adopt an english pointer...4 year old. Has been used as a bird hunter....the volunteer we met with acted like his proviouse owner abused him because he hunted. Whatever....most moonbats dont understand there is a hell of a strong bond between a human and a hunting dog! I kept my mouth shut that i plan to train him more and take him to the fields this fall. Awesome dog so far....had him a day....we will see how the training goes.

Mannish Water

Ingredients;
  • 2 pound Goat Head
  • 1 1/2 gallons Water
  • 5 Green Bananas, sliced
  • 1 pound Yellow Yams, diced
  • 1 1/2 Cho-chos, seeds and skin removed, chopped
  • 1/2 pound Carrots, diced
  • 1/2 pound Turnips, diced
  • 1 1/2 bunches Scallions, chopped
  • 2 Scotch Bonnet Peppers, chopped
  • 3 sprigs Thyme, chopped
  • 1/2 tbsp Salt

Directions;
Singe the hair off the head, then saw the head into 1” to 1-1/2" cubes.
I’ve done it with a Miter Saw, a Band Saw is better, have a Butcher do it best.
Chop any meat that comes away from the skull into small pieces,
rinse and place into a large stockpot, skull and all. Add the water and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer 2-1/2 hours, until the meat is tender.
Add the remaining ingredients and cook 1 more hour.
What about the brain and the eyes, do they go in the pot too?

Back
Top Bottom