anyone using either the Wicked Edge Pro-Pack I or II?

Pro-Pack I or II?

• Pro-Pack I

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Pro-Pack II

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Golddiggie

NES Member
Looking to get a new sharpening kit that and I've got my eyes on these two. I'm leaning towards the Pro-Pack II due to the wider range of edge angles it can put on a blade. These are NOT cheap, but "buy once, cry once".

I would be replacing the Lansky kit I've had for several years. One of the reasons for the change is how the blade is held in the kit. On the Lansky, I have to hold the clamp and run the stone across the edge (flipping and such). On longer, thinner, blades they flex and the angle is not the same.

Product link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CV3BYRC
That link is good for both versions.

BTW, right now, the kitchen knives I have are at 16 degrees per side. I don't know if I'll get blades that have shallower angles at some point, or not. So either kit would work for that. Plus, they have the item that goes into the clamp to give you an even shallower angle.

I have several pocket knives that need to get a good edge placed on them. Plus I want to touch up one or two of the kitchen knives I have. Plus take care of mom's kitchen knives. I don't know how, but she needs me to look at her knives almost constantly. I go many years between needing to sharpen mine (as in at least a decade). I do use the steel on them almost every time I use them, so that could be it (she doesn't seem to be able to use the steel properly). Pocket knives, as you would expect, seem to need attention more often.

I've tried water stones, but find I need something where the angle is set (so that I get consistent results). I'm not willing to wear down the blades I have, taking XX hours to 'learn' how to get the correct angle on water stones. Plus, the kit won't have the lead time needed that you have with water stones (pre-soak time) as well as needing to keep them saturated during use. As I mentioned, I gave those a try and found them less than optimal (for me). If you can use them, more power to you.

The Lansky kit was fine when I was younger. But another issue that cropped up over the years is holding the clamp, and stones, can cause my hands to cramp. Plus, I'd rather not take 20-40 minutes to sharpen each blade. Not looking for something done in seconds.

I have read a good amount of good things about the Wicked Edge setup. I was looking at the WE120 setup for a bit. But the Pro-Pack II offers more items that don't come with the WE120. Plus, adding the base is about $100-$120 by itself. Not to mention the extra sets of stones are at least $80 each pair. I'll probably pick up a hard case for the entire setup once I have it (and know what size case I need).

I just leave the stones in water. I bought a plastic tub with a lid at Lowe’s and store the stones in there. After watching a few videos I found sharpening want all that hard as long as the knives don’t have a full bolster or heel.

I thought about something like an Edge Pro, but ended up going with waterstones instead.

IIRC, the Edge Pro has you flip the blade over to hit either side. I like the WE product since the blade is held edge up and you can sharpen both sides at the same time. Plus, it comes with diamond stones for the majority of the work (until you get to higher levels).

Pro Pack I IS from Wicked Edge... The main difference between pack 1 and pack 2 is the range of angles available to sharpen to (PP2 offers 13-35 degrees, PP1 is 15-30).
OK, I just looked at the cartons each came in. Wicked Edge is the one I want to sell. I know that I bought but never used extra stones for that one.

Work Sharp is the one I'm keeping.

Link for the work sharp??
Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener - Work Sharp Sharpeners is the one I bought.

I rarely use any of them and I don't collect knives.

Nothing wrong with the Wicked Edge, just more setup time required. Here's what I have (and it is in the Nashua area currently), pictures below as well.
Precision Sharpener WE100 - Precision Sharpener - WE100
Granite Base (heavy as hell!) - Granite Base
Extra Fine 800 Grit/Ultra Fine 1000 Grit Diamond Stones - Extra Fine 800 Grit / Ultra Fine 1000 Grit Diamond Stones Pack
5/3.5 Micron Diamond and Leather Strops Pack (never opened) - 5/3.5 Micron Diamond and Leather Strops Pack

I was at the Concord NH gun show and a vendor was demoing the Wicked Edge gear. Did a great job and looked great so I ordered the above. Set it up and used it once or twice. I was doing a number of knives and between the research of what angle for what knife (many kitchen knives don't give you any clue about angles and some are serrated which is another challenge) and changing the settings, I just never bothered using it again.
DSCF3082-sm.jpg DSCF3083-sm.jpg DSCF3084-sm.jpg

Picked up the Pro-Pack I. Ordered Friday, arrived Saturday (Amazon Prime). Paid less than MSRP for it too. Already used it to sharpen most of my pocket knives (that needed it) as well as one of my kitchen knives. The kitchen knife was done to the incorrect angle by my old sharpening system (it didn't have the correct one available). I also brought it over to my mother/sister's place to take care of knives there that needed some TLC. Took care of two of mom's knives (brought another home to do later) as well as three of my sister's. My sister's knives were in HORRIBLE shape. More dull than any of mine have ever been. I have no idea how she was able to use these things and not cut herself. I took two more of her's home that I'll take care of tomorrow evening. Mom's coming over for dinner on Tuesday, so I'll send her home with those two. The other one of hers that I have is a low use knife, so I have more time to take care of it.

Going to be getting rid of the water stones I bought in 2018 as well as the old system that I've had a lot longer. I'm sure someone will like those items. I'm also sure someone out there will be able to use the water stones effectively. I'm just not that person.

I also purchased a hard case to keep the system in. Bought a Pelican Vault V300 (arrived today). Cut the foam in it to hold the components properly. That's working well too. Single case to hold all of it makes it very convenient to store/transport too.

Back
Top Bottom