Anyone using an Athlon Cronus BTR scope?

Cuz

NES Member
I'm thinking about doing a little long range shooting and was researching scopes. The Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56mm seems like a lot of scope for the money. It falls between the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 and the Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56mm scopes.

Just wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it.

Thanks.

I have been looking at the Athlon scopes. they do seem tp provide a lot for the money. I have used 3 on and off and they are crisp and clear.
I have been looking at their argos that's around $450 or so FFP in moa for 22lr out to 300 yards or so. That's been side tracked

Good stuff for the money.

I liked the Cronus better than the original Razor, and it saves you some money. For Razor Gen II money I bought a S&B

I skipped the Athlon in favor of the PMII 5x25 not because I needed to, more because I always wanted a bender. My skills and the distances I would be shooting really don’t warrant the extra money and there are tons of way more qualified shooters than I competing and winning with a Cronus

Last edited:
Good stuff for the money.

I liked the Cronus better than the original Razor, and it saves you some money. For Razor Gen II money I bought a S&B

I skipped the Athlon in favor of the PMII 5x25 not because I needed to, more because I always wanted a bender. My skills and the distances I would be shooting really don’t warrant the extra money and there are tons of way more qualified shooters than I competing and winning with a Cronus
Buying high quality gear is NEVER EVER a bad thing. Good shit costs good money, but it's totally worth it. And there isn't much, if anything at all, beyond S&B. Combined with a Spuhr mount or Badger rings, you have a "go to war" rig, and then some. Kudos to you, from a guy who can't afford one.

Buying high quality gear is NEVER EVER a bad thing. Good shit costs good money, but it's totally worth it. And there isn't much, if anything at all, beyond S&B. Combined with a Spuhr mount or Badger rings, you have a "go to war" rig, and then some. Kudos to you, from a guy who can't afford one.

Well, you hit on exactly the philosophy I’ve adopted with my gear...I’ve had a lot “more” than what I do now, but my interests really revolve around pro level gear. Next year will bring some proper training to go along with that gear.

Last edited:
I skipped the Athlon in favor of the PMII 5x25 not because I needed to, more because I always wanted a bender.

What reticle did you get?
I “think” I want a Christmas tree reticle with a floating center but I don’t know for sure because I don’t have any experience with them. I figure I’d rather make a mistake on an Athlon than a much more expensive Minox or Kahles.

What reticle did you get?
I “think” I want a Christmas tree reticle with a floating center but I don’t know for sure because I don’t have any experience with them. I figure I’d rather make a mistake on an Athlon than a much more expensive Minox or Kahles.

I went basic with a P4l fine partially due to price and partially due to lack of experience.

Kahles with a MSR was also on my list

I've run my Cronus BTR in 3 prs events now. And I couldn't be happier. I don't know where you'd be able to pick up a $1450 scope and have all the bells and whistles this does and the glass it has. Comparing to the Minox zp5. It has a slight disadvantage. But that's a 3300 scope. Zp5 is slightly brighter and slightly more resolution. But it's close. And for almost $2000 cheaper. The reticle on the BTR is much better than original. Thinner is better. If they went with a dot reticle this thing would dominate! Maybe next year. Tracks perfect as OP says. Glad to hear I'm not the only one singing Athlons praises.

Oh and illumination is some some of the best I've seen. Zero bleed. Best in the business. The BTR has their numbers not lit but the original has numbers lit. They changed it to make it less busy. I'd have liked them lit up I think.

Thanks, it does seem to dominate the scopes at it's price point. Of course, we don't know how they will hold up because I don't think they've been around for that long. I'm also hearing good things about their customer service.

What reticle do you have on your BTR? MIL or MOA?

Thanks, it does seem to dominate the scopes at it's price point. Of course, we don't know how they will hold up because I don't think they've been around for that long. I'm also hearing good things about their customer service.

What reticle do you have on your BTR? MIL or MOA?
I have several MOA NF scope so i bought a MIL BTR.

The only thing other than money for me not to pick up a Athlon is I wanted a particular reticle. Less is more for me. This is over a year ago now so maybe they changed. Their reticles are pretty fat and the X mass tree is to busy for my likes.
I don't know where the split is on their product line. Some are japan made some are Chinese .
If they offered the BLR reticle on the FFP scopes I might have snagged one.

Im goingto gander their sub $500 scopes are Chinese? This is the one I was going to get.
Argos BTR 10-40x56 BLR SFP MOA - Athlon Optics - Rifle Scopes - Binoculars - Red Dot Scopes - Spotting Scopes - Rangefinders - Riflescopes
I liked it as the reticle subtension was set at 40x which is probably where I would run it for the long distance 22lr shooting and maybe run it less when trying to pick up targets quicker at various ranges, This is why I was hoping for FFP...

Back
Top Bottom