• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone use the Hornady primer pocket swage tool?

DW357

NES Member

I've been doing some 5.56 case prep and I'm starting to get tired of using a reamer bit chucked into my cordless drill for removing the primer pocket crimps.

Anyone use the Hornady primer pocket swage tool? Using that tubing hack, looks like you can burn through cases quickly.

$85 on Amazon plus $5-$10 in tubing....Hmmm, I think my hands/fingers will thank me.

I've had good luck with the RCBS set for swaging fwiw...

the RCBS one works great - parts for both large & small pock Mil brass
i've had the rcbs unit for years, seriously, never had much in the way of good results with it. i still need to do it with the hand tool. not saying the thing sucks. i've never contacted rcbs to see if maybe i have a defective one. so maybe now i will after the holiday and see whats up with it. or go back and read the instructions a little slower, lol.

Use either the swager or reamer, depends what's already set up on the press. Dead simple changeover to use swage kit, but the time to change over and go back to existing setup totally depends on the number of cases to prep.

I have an RCBS. I don't use it anymore.

I process by chucking a countersink bit in a mini-lathe and hand chamfering. Way more reliable and faster

Not when you've got thousands of pieces to do. And , Id' choose a crem over a csink anyday.

I csink thousands at at time. It's far less time and far more consistent than swaging. I have a full 18 gallon Tupperware bin I'm doing next. It'll take a week of nights watching a movie.

I ended up sending out ~1500 cases to be processed. For $55 I figured I'd give it a shot. Would certainly save me a lot of time. My free time is becoming more and more valuable and I don't want to be slaving away in my basement prepping cases for days. I like going down there to reload and crank out ammo. Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I chucked a Weldon Deburing bit in it . Just a touch of the brass to the bit and it removes any chamfer in about 2 seconds.View attachment 261834
I process by chucking a countersink bit in a mini-lathe and hand chamfering. Way more reliable and faster
I actually use the Weldon deburring tool (90deg, if I recall correctly). Generally don't do thousands of crimped primer pockets at one time, so not an issue.
I tried the Weldon bit but it seemed like it was removing a crap ton of brass? Maybe I bought the wrong one - don't know. I had good luck with the reamer head that came with my Lyman case prep tool, chucked into my cordless drill.

I've been doing some 5.56 case prep and I'm starting to get tired of using a reamer bit chucked into my cordless drill for removing the primer pocket crimps.

Anyone use the Hornady primer pocket swage tool? Using that tubing hack, looks like you can burn through cases quickly.

$85 on Amazon plus $5-$10 in tubing....Hmmm, I think my hands/fingers will thank me.

Yes I have and it works great the only issue is the plastic case retainer that is located in the die that ejects the case this plastic case retainer gets hung up and will break apart so if you get this set up get yourself a few replacement retainers . But it does work great I also use the plastic hose on the ejection die dnd my cases drop into a 5 gal bucket

I have this tool, and it's still in the box, right next to the probably few thousand .223 cases that need the primer crimp dealt with. I'd just rather load ammo than do the case prep so I haven't been motivated to deal with it yet.

I did unpack it and use it on like 20 cases when I first got it and I was fairly impressed with it, real efficient.

I ended up sending out ~1500 cases to be processed. For $55 I figured I'd give it a shot. Would certainly save me a lot of time. My free time is becoming more and more valuable and I don't want to be slaving away in my basement prepping cases for days. I like going down there to reload and crank out ammo. Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Are they doing everything? If I was going to pay someone else to do it I'd want the cases resized and fully processed and ready to load.

-Mike

I have that Hornady tool and haven't yet opened it. I figured it would be something to do during the winter. But since that company also trims to length, its going to be tough not sending them the 30K cases I have lying around.

Dave

I’ve done about 12000 cases and like I said in a prior reply the plastic retainer in the feeder die will break apart after about 1000 cases so off to the hardware store I went . I got an assortment of rubber washers and picked out the one that fits snug in the feeder die . It also has a nice thick 1/4 inch shoulder so it does not get pushed into the feeder die but you have to drill it out and vin I put some b case lube in the rubber washer it works great . But you do have to put lube every 800-1000 cases

Back
Top Bottom