• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone use SIRT Pistols

Looks cool.
Gun dudes podcast mentioned a new product coming out. It is a laserlyte style gun with a co2 canister gas blowback to reproduce the recoil.

It has not been released yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They used something similar to this...if not this, in the firearms safety course I took in Quincy, it was suppose to have the gas blowback, but the Co2 cartridge was out, kind of just felt like playing a video game [grin]

I thought they announced last year that they were going to make M&P models - what happened to that?

I found the SIRT pistols really good for teaching people how to coordinate sight picture and trigger squeeze in a way that's virtually impossible to do with dry or live fire. They build the muscle memory required without getting distracted by the noise and recoil of live fire. And they get the feed back on sight picture that they wouldn't get with dry fire.

I also thought they were a very useful dry fire aid in training the eyes to more quickly acquire a sight picture a little more effectively than regular dry fire.

I looked at some of these at SHOT I am seriously contemplating picking it up.

Unfortunately I have a Mac so it would be expensive for me to do.

Last edited:
I use them in my classes prior to doing live fire for the reasons noted above. I like them.

That's what I'm thinking of getting them for.... I also think that drawing and firing at a couple targets for even 3-5 minutes a day would be invaluable practice... Especially with this feedback. Thats considering I've been slammed and haven't gone to the range lately. At my old apartment we could literally walk out the back and shoot in the woods, not so anymore.

ETA, I'm sure an airsoft gun could be converted... Hmmm

Mike

Last edited:
I have one that I use for teaching my students sight alignment and really for an overall feel of a handgun in the hand. Couple different modes on mine, 1 mode is just the laser when the trigger in pulled, 2nd mode uses 2 different color lasers, one comes on early and 2nd comes on at trigger break, great for practicing trigger control. If you are an instructor, call them, they have a pretty decent discount and offer several instructor packages.

I'll just add that the 'magazines' are weighted and are an effective way of practicing re-loads. You can even add or remove weight to the magazines.

Aside from simple trigger practice, this is one of the most effective uses for the SIRT pistol. It helps to be able to practice with "loaded" magazines without actually having to deal with loaded magazines in the house.

ETA, I'm sure an airsoft gun could be converted... Hmmm

This! I have not done any research on this yet but was thinking if you could mount the SureStrike 9mm Cartridge Insert to an airsoft., you already got blowback (I have a KWA M9 Tactical) giving more realism.

Update1...it appears that the Cartridge acts like a snapcap using the firing pin for laser actuation. I thought maybe could be used in rail-mount with the software.

Update2... apparently there are airsoft compatible cartridges out there using vibration vs firing pin for laser activation.
http://store.laser-ammo.com/airsoft...tridges/air-soft-vibration-cartridge-red.html

Last edited:
I used mine quite a bit while I was shooting USPSA and I thought it was a great training aid. I know they are expensive, but I think it was well worth it. I got the Glock version with a metal slide and it weight the same as the gun I shoot competition with so that is an advantage. It was great for working on draws and target transitions.
I figured it was money well spent to buy a gun I would actually be able to use at home instead of another gun that would rarely make it to the range.

This software seems like a slam dunk. I can get a webcam for 10 bucks off amazon, and setup a bunch of targets on the wall to train with... or in 3D on stands. It'll absolutely positively piss off my wife, but it seems like a good idea.

I'll probably wait a month or so since I just ordered an M1903A3

Mike

Isn't there a free/open source application that you can hook to a camera feed that'll register the laser shot seen in the video? I can't remember what it is - but I know I immediately started looking at different laser cartridges and the reset trigger for the Glock from Glock Parts USA. Stupid expensive still..

ETA: This is what I'm referring to: http://phrack.github.io/ShootOFF/

I bought one a few weeks ago, i had a couple Laserlyte targets so that is cool to use it with. I also bought the LASR software to use with it. That is really cool also. I practice drawing and target acquisition in the basement for a few minutes each day. I have been shooting for years but am really a rookie at anything but shooting targets, i am hoping to see some improvements with transitioning from target to target. I will need to wait till it gets warmer to live fire drawing and shooting.

One thing i will say about the laser is that it is very easy to watch the red dot instead of the front sight when you pull the trigger. They have an IR version that may be a better solution if you can't discipline yourself to watch the front sight. Other than that, it is a pretty cool tool.

I have one on the way,the NRA has a training program to go with this.

love the SIRT guns, they are fantastic.

- easy dryfire practice with trigger reset alleviating the in-between rep of malfunction drill or the bad rep of having to reset the striker
- great way to do draw practice with absolutely no risk (as opposed to live gun)
- laser highlights trigger issues and easily shows accuracy of sight picture and flinch
- same relative profile as a glock means that all of my glock kit will fit, or is close enough to make work
- a fantastic teaching tool, especially for things like CQB/home defense, where you don't want to start students off with live fire but you still want to have the commitment of taking a shot.

I don't use the take up laser, but I might if I had more beginner-level students. Right now I'm using the polymer red/red model, and it works just fine without jumping up to $400 for the metal model. I didn't feel like the green laser bought me anything. Highly recommended, especially if you teach.

I've always thought SIRT pistols would be a neat training aid, but couldn't justify the price. With the release of this software, and my move to a glock, I am starting to think differently. Thoughts? Experience?

http://www.lasrapp.com/store/lasr-laser-activated-shot-reporter

Mike
I have one and use it with http://phrack.github.io/ShootOFF/ which is quite nice. It's good for building muscle memory, but the trigger is awful and completely not like a real Glock. Also, because the laser stays on while trigger is pulled, it often registers more than once on the target. Also the two laser version is useless unless you specifically want to train for laster.

I also have a SureStrike laser insert that let's me use my real gun and I am contemplating an auto-reset trigger in a second frame to get to a better solution.
http://www.glockstore.com/reset-trigger-kit-for-glock

Back
Top Bottom