• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone use Fiocchi ammo?

I've used it in 9 and .40 and .45 before. Never had any problems but it's usually at a price point where there are other brands available that I like better. Fiochi at a discount is a bargain I will go for every now and then.

I've only used it once in my AR. It did not perform nearly as well as some other brands that cost roughly the same as far as accuracy. I had no problems with feeding, or anything like that, it just didn't seem to hold much of a group.

Tim

I only use Fiocci when at the local range (all they carry) and I run out. Biggest problem for me is the soot flying everywhere. After every time I shoot I wash up. I also wash out my nostrils. Fiocci is the only brand that seems to "darken" my nostrils. Otherwise it is decent.

I bought a box of #5 Fiocchi 3" Golden Pheasant 20ga at Dicks about 3 years ago. I wish I bought everything they had. IIRC they were 1 1/4 ounce moving at around 1150fps. They patterned really nice out of my Weatherby and were deadly on the birds. I haven't been able to find any place that carries them or I would be buying more.

I bought a box of #5 Fiocchi 3" Golden Pheasant 20ga at Dicks about 3 years ago. I wish I bought everything they had. IIRC they were 1 1/4 ounce moving at around 1150fps. They patterned really nice out of my Weatherby and were deadly on the birds. I haven't been able to find any place that carries them or I would be buying more.

Cabela's has it online and offer in store pickup.
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0012667212947a.shtml

I like it. It goes bang every time, the brass is great, and it's accurate. It seems a little more powerful than the other stuff in its price range. Dirty/smoky doesn't bother me.

Just last week at the range I got about halfway through a box of their FMJ's in my Colt Python, when I ran across a primer only round. This round ended up lodging the bullet in the barrel... damn good thing I wasn't shooting fast, otherwise it could have ended badly!

Now I'm stuck on how to get this round out of the barrel. No way in hell is this thing getting pushed out with a cleaning rod.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Just last week at the range I got about halfway through a box of their FMJ's in my Colt Python, when I ran across a primer only round. This round ended up lodging the bullet in the barrel... damn good thing I wasn't shooting fast, otherwise it could have ended badly!

Now I'm stuck on how to get this round out of the barrel. No way in hell is this thing getting pushed out with a cleaning rod.

It's called a "squib" and your cleaning rod might not be sturdy enough for it. I have never had a sqib before, but I was told by my first instructor that the best thing to use is a wooden dowel that is just a hair smaller than the bore diameter.

Rileys in Hooksett NH has Fiocchi listed at what look like halfway decent prices. I know a number of guys who are looking to go out and buy some ammo in bulk - soon. Anybody know if the prices at Rileys' are halfway decent?

We were thinking of making a road trip to Cabela's - but Rileys is closer - and the prices look to be better.

The only Fiocchi I've used is 9x18 Makarov. Haven't had any complaints so far. It goes bang every time. It's tough for me to find 9x18 anyhow, so I don't have too much else to compare that particular cartridge with.

I don't shoot much factory ammo because I reload for 17 different calibers, but I do use factory ammo in my carry pieces. I keep my Seecamp LWS32 stoked with Fiocchi 60gr. JHP's, these guns are very picky as to what they like and mine likes the Fiocchi.

I've used it for range ammo in .40 s&w and 9mm. It functioned fine and didn't gunk up my guns too bad. It's good for range ammo. Riley's has pretty good ammo prices and awesome selection. If you want cheapo range ammo they have Blazer for real short money in 5 or 6 different cartridges.

Wooden dowel may not be sturdy enough,try and find a brass rod of the correct diameter 5/16" or .312" and a brass mallet work well. I usually have said items in may ammo box.

Three things I've noticed with Fiocchi ammo in my Glock 19:
1) Dirty
2) Smoky
3) Had it jam twice over the course of one 50 round box. When I looked through the box after the second jam several of the cases had a "flair" at the top of the case that folded back when the round was chambered and subsequently caused a jam.

I guess it could have been a one box quality control issue (the other 250 rounds were fine) but it was still dirtier and smokier than I was used to.

I guess I learned my lesson- inspect your ammo.

I've used Fiocchi in .380 ACP. My wife's Walther PK380 was very finicky with almost every brand of ammo I fed it, including PMC, Winchester, Remington, Federal, Prvi Partisan, Blazer, Sellier and Bellot, and a couple others I can't remember. Finally I read a review of Fiocchi which claimed it had "extra vitamins and minerals". [smile]

The problem with the other ammos was I would get FTE almost every magazine. I think the spring tension was not being overcome. I figured it would take more "conditioning" since the gun was relatively new. However, I tried the Fiocchi and IMMEDIATELY saw the difference. Every round cycled and fed properly and I bought 20 boxes.

The reason I had not bought it before was that it was very expensive. Then Cabela's had a fantastic sale and it was available cheaper than anything--so I immediately bought 6 boxes to test out. When it tested good, I bought 14 more before the sale ran out. It's now expensive again.

Nevertheless, my experience has been VERY positive. I'm now looking to buy some .45 acp to try out in my Desert Eagle 1911. It has had good results with RWS ammo (also a good choice, by the way), but I have seen Fiocchi 230 grain for sale on line pretty cheap so I'm going to try it.

I am NOT going to look for it in 9mm, since my Beretta 92F fires EVERYTHING well, and I have about 1000 rounds of RWS and various other brands to shoot off first.

I have never used Fiocchi shotshells, but the .380 acp I highly recommend! As far as extra soot or smoke, I did NOT find that to be the case. Maybe it's all a relative thing, but the .380 acp works great in my Bersa Thunder .380 too, and it's no extra work to clean my pistols at the end of the day.

Buy it! Be happy.

You'd better like Fiocchi, especially if you shoot the 455 Mkll Webley, 7.5 Suizzera Ord and 7.62x38R Nagant...
...because they are about the only ammunition company that offers these calibers!

I use Fiocchi hollow points in a .32 FEG Walther copy I have.
They are the only HP loads that I have found that are 100% reliable in the pistol.
I havent noticed them to be exceptionally dirty and they have plenty of oomph, for a .32.
Ive also used their shotshell loads without any problems.

i have only tried it in .38spl and .32 for the .32 seems to be a whole lot hotter than winchester white box and my walther loves it

Back
Top Bottom