Anyone Use/Comment on Little Crow Gunworks .223 Case Trimmer

Been thinking of getting one of the "World's Finest Trimmers" by Little Crow Gunworks for .223 cases.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

For the amount of 223 I reload and at $70, on paper this looks like it would suit my needs perfectly. Anyone have one of these trimmers? Comments on how well they work? Does the trimmer leave a burr that needs to be chamferred/deburred?

I use a Possum Hollow trimmer which is almost the exact same thing (by looks at least).
https://www.possumhollowproducts.com/KWICK_CASE_TRIMMERS.html
I cruise through the trimmimg process by clamping a drill in a vise and then use a zip tie on the trigger to get the speed just right.
Now, if only they had a deburr/chamfer tool that worked as well I would be in heaven (still doing that part by hand).

I chuck mine for 300 blackout in my lathe. I have to wear rubber coated gloves because i trim so much to make the brass from .223 cases. I purchased the dies for .223 and .300 for the next model up too. i have an idea using them in a microstop countersink to be able to fine tune the trim length. They work but also spit out brass shavings so wear eye protection.

Malodave

I have the .223 WFT and it works great !! Just ordered one for 30/06 today.

regards....roger

+1 I use their 223 and 300 BLK trimmers. They work great.

I have the .223 WFT and it works great !! Just ordered one for 30/06 today.

regards....roger

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Another thumbs up for the WFT. I chuck mine up in a corded drill and get to work. It leaves a very nice burr free edge.

It takes a little while to set up (I wish there was a fine adjustment screw), but once you get it to the right length you never touch it again. By "a little while" I just mean you won't be up and running in 3 minutes. I save a piece of brass with the length written on the side to use if I ever have to readjust.

For cost of one on theirs, I bought 7 different calibers from LEE...... screw them on the cutter and start the drill press............fast and easy

But don't you have to lock each case into the shell holder? That's fine for a few, but if you're trying to trim 1000 cases it'll get tedious quickly.

I don't check my cases first, just put each one into the WFT and it trims if necessary. Toss into box B and grab another case from box A. I think I average around 6 seconds per case. It's a little slower if I take breaks to pet the cats or take hauls off a cigar.

I use my lathe - bored a hole in a block of aluminum to hold a case referenced to the head space datum and lock that into the tool block. Chuck up an endmill and move the 'tool' until I get the corect length. Once everything is trimmed, chuck up the deburr and chamfer tools to clean up.

Could do the same with a drill press with a little work

For 223 with 0.5" material:
Letter F through; follow with 21/64 or Q leaving about 0.1" of 0.257" bore; finish with a T or 23/64 leaving about 0.1" of 0.332" bore

Chuck the cutter in the drill press and make a stand to position the block under the spindle so that a case can be inserted in the bottom of the block. adjust the table height to set trim length

i've got one, works great..... it does fling brass shavings everywhere though.... i made a clear vinyl "tent" to catch the shit....

Thanks for the tip. I've got one sitting in a box and haven't had a chance to try it yet. I did trim down a few k 38 special cases with a forster setup and made a big mess.

i've got one, works great..... it does fling brass shavings everywhere though.... i made a clear vinyl "tent" to catch the shit....

Slow down. I run the drill at a fairly low speed and the shavings end up in a pretty tidy pile beneath the tool. I typically put down a hand towel to work on and just shake the shavings out afterwards.

Note: I set the drill upside down (handle facing up) on the towel and pull the trigger with my thumb. I find I have good speed control that way and it requires the least amount of effort (read: my hand doesn't cramp up that often). If I can't hear the stereo or TV, it's turning too fast.

Back
Top Bottom