Anyone Up For An Exotic Game Dinner?

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Zoo May Close, Euthanize Animals

BOSTON -- The Franklin Park Zoo, the only Boston institution of its kind, may be forced to close and euthanize some of its animals, zoo officials said Friday.

Without more state funding, zoo officials said that they will run out of money within months and have to close both Franklin Park and the Stone Zoo in Stoneham.

The zoos would be forced to lay off most of their 165 employees and attempt to find new homes for more than 1,000 animals.

Zoo officials estimated 20 percent of the animals would not find homes and could be euthanized.

“Not all the animals in the collection will be able to be placed at other facilities,” John Linehan, zoo president, wrote in a letter to the Massachusetts Legislature. “The Commonwealth would then be forced to either continue to maintain the animals in the closed facilities or euthanize them.”

The Legislature had originally provided $6.5 million to the zoos, but Gov. Deval Patrick cut the state funding to $2.5 million.

“These are extremely difficult times across the state, and there have been tough cuts in every area,” a Patrick spokeswoman, Cyndi Roy, said in a statement. “This is an example of an unfortunate cut that had to be made in order to preserve core services for families struggling during the economic downturn.”

The Franklin Park Zoo was founded in 1913. It is funded by state money, private donations and revenue from the attractions.
Mmmm......Impala Tenderloin

Titan

Banned
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
In my opinion, both zoos are very poorly maintained and it would be fine with me if they were shut down.

I've never felt comfortable taking my kids in to Franklin Park Zoo, though I went many times as a child...back before the surrounding neighborhood 'evolved'.

The Stoneham zoo is just too shabby and poorly run to bother taking the grandkids. I took my own kids many years ago, and vowed not to return.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
the barbed wire around the Franklin Park zooo is to keep the animals out.

Seriously how many of you would risk life & limb to go there... and remember I was a bus driver in that area for a few years and I've seen it all.

Stone Zoo used to be a great place, then the MDC got out of the zoo business and ZooNewEngland never had the funding to do it right.

I feel sorry for the zoo animals they deserve better

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
My guess:

The two zoo's will close, innocent animals will lose their lives, and the land will be cleared for low income and welfare housing.

That's the trend anyway....sickening.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Solution: cut off the welfare. Animals deserve a better treatment than beasts [angry]
Absolutely! I loved Stone Zoo when I was a kid. I haven't been there since the MDC stopped running it. Cut off public housing and many other programs to help the lay-a-bouts before hurting innocent animals.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I read the thread name a little too quickly and got very excited.... NES strip club trip?!

but no, exotic game dinner, not exotic dancer dinner

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My guess:

The two zoo's will close, innocent animals will lose their lives, and the land will be cleared for low income and welfare housing.

That's the trend anyway....sickening.
There is no way they will destroy good animals, exotics specifically, just to save a few dollars. There are more than enough zoos around the nation who will accept the animals and some smaller zoos with big budgets will even pay the crating and shipping. No cost to Boston or its tax payers. The zoos are floundering on their own. If they cant survive in the market place, which they obviously cannot, then they need to be closed. So despite the emotial headlines, Patrick is doing the right thing. Its a drain. Unfortunately in a Democratic state, some elements of society are not allowed to fail...like car makers..and possibly people who jail animals. :)

This reads more of a ploy to obtain more funding.

We will kill these animals, these soft furry beautiful creatures, these exotic animals who we took all this time to educate you on with these painted 1x2 signs in front of their cages. These animals that we rescued from the harshness of Mother Nature. Look at Vincent, this 800 juvenile Silverback that we kidnapped from poachers who has slain his entire family. We are going to take him out back if these phone lines don't light up in the next 2 hours. John Rosenthal is standing outside smoking a cigar and sighting in his state legal side by side shotgun. There is also an officer standing next to him in case John gets out of hand. Please call now, Vincent needs you. And ammo is pricey, we cant keep this up all day.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just heard maddy in the morning today, and they said the gov't isnt going to kill the animals anymore. They will make other arrangements for them...

Wildweasel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Just a ploy for funding Instead of for the children it is For the animals... Just like when Politicians threaten to layoff firefighters and Cops.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Course they won't kill the animals. It's right up there with the "BBBBUT THERE wont bee any extra school programs!!! bbbbut what about the Chillllldren?!?!?!!?"

Sadly, MA voters buy into this crap each and every time. Question 1's outcome is living proof of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1YWpU6ikLw [puke]

"It's too risky bweaaaaaaaaaah"

-Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom