Anyone Turn On Heat Yet?

413dan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
woke up to it 61 in the house. turned the heat on to 1. get the chill out of the air before the lady of the house woke, and 2. to check the system before it really gets cold out there that it is working. much easier to call for a fix when it is 65 than 35. thermostat set at 66. might kick on overnight, might not. My window will be cracked, the rest of the house will be please it is warm. is nice to be in shorts and a t shirt while lounging thought.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 60* in the house this morning. Set all my t-stats to 63* I refuse to be cold in my own home.
I shake my head at my family and friends back down South who have to keep the thermostat at 78 in the winter, and at 64 in the summer.

We typically keep our oil furnace (FHA) thermostat set at 58 in the winter. It's colder than that in the house right now, but we haven't had a test run yet. I'll do that tomorrow. Our peak high this week is maybe 60 on Wednesday.

My lovely bride also surprised me by agreeing to take the window A/C out of our bedroom tomorrow. I won't be surprised if she's demanding that I put it back in sometime between now and Christmas, though.

Tuesday is chimney sweeping day. I have a Soot Eater that I use from the bottom up, and it works great.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
After cleaning out the pellet stove yesterday, and replacing the front glass, it would not start.

There were pellets in there all winter so I wondered if they were damp? Vacuumed out the old pellets and put in a new bag and she started right up.

Who knew they absorbed so much moisture!

Mtn_Guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Is this thread dead? Because I’m still holding out on turning on the heat... I found a box of old tax returns past their save-by date, and those kept the chill out of the house for a few of the colder nights.

I told the kiddo don’t ask before 11/1...

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
note for next year: yep, turned it on a few days ago in the mornings for a bit. Otherwise no, house has been holding the days heat pretty well to this point.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I caved. Temp got to 49 upstairs and I turned on the heat. Bring it back to a toasty 60 or so.

Thought I’d get past Veterans Day.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The wood stove has been on and off depending on temperature, thermostat at 68 in case the stove goes out. I am not cheap with the heat, I refuse to be cold in my house.

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Started the wood stove a couple of days ago. Been letting it burn out during the day though as the temps are still climbing to the upper forties to mid fifties by late afternoon. Next week we'll see a few nights in the 20's so I brougt in 1/3 cord of wood and stacked it near the stove.
I managed to get most of my wood stacked under cover during early August ( long dry spell before that) so its nice and dry.....that sharp clack when you smack two pieces together and it makes a huge difference in stove performance.

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Fehhk yah. When I was a kid my folks would keep the heat at some ungodly low level, we could see our breath in the house. I swore that when I grew up, no matter the cost, I would never be cold in my own home.
Ya, no need to be cold, just comfortable.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
See, I was the opposite. My parents kept the heat cranked, and I can’t stand being warm. I can be cold any day but heat makes me a baby.
I laugh when I see suggestions to lower your heat to 68 to save money, I’m uncomfortable at 65 and keep it around 60 or so, but turn it down to 55 at night to sleep cozy.

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
We have no central heating system.
Wood stove and pellet stove only. I took
out the oil furnace 5yrs ago and turned the
space onto a machine shop.
‘We’re having our first wood fire of the
year tonight. This being a super tight year
we have no pellets to burn even if we wanted to.
‘Good thing my neighbor has some trees
he needed taken down! The green wood
gives off a lot less heat than dry but we’re
thankful for it!
Walmart sells pellets by the bag so we won’t
be popsicles by the end of the year.

Edit——If anyone within 15mi of Townsend MA
has some trees they need removed let me know.
Nothing near a structure as I’m not insured. You
keep the brush. I will move it to where you want it
but I have no chipper.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My thermostat is set to 72 in the day and 65 at night, I don’t ever actually turn it off, if it gets cold in august my heat kicks on! keeps my wife happy and over the couple bucks that it costs I’m not holding out..

grew up in an uninsulated 300yr old colonial with only a fireplace on the 1st floor, pipes in the kitchen and bath would routinely freeze in the winter, bedroom temps were 40ish maybe. F that noise, I’ll be comfortable.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, I was the opposite. My parents kept the heat cranked, and I can’t stand being warm. I can be cold any day but heat makes me a baby.
I laugh when I see suggestions to lower your heat to 68 to save money, I’m uncomfortable at 65 and keep it around 60 or so, but turn it down to 55 at night to sleep cozy.
That's how we are. We didn't move from Texas to northern NH to sweat!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
settings:
5:45 AM 65 degrees for waking/washing/breakfast
7:45 AM 57 degrees for out of the house to work and school
3:00 PM 65 degrees for a little after kids get home from school
9:00 PM 57 degrees for cool-down overnight

These are the system settings, but if someone is home they can be overridden and bumped up to maybe 67 or so, as needed, unless we need it higher to keep the boiler running for multiple showers.

Last edited:

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thermostat is set to 72 in the day and 65 at night, I don’t ever actually turn it off, if it gets cold in august my heat kicks on! keeps my wife happy and over the couple bucks that it costs I’m not holding out..

grew up in an uninsulated 300yr old colonial with only a fireplace on the 1st floor, pipes in the kitchen and bath would routinely freeze in the winter, bedroom temps were 40ish maybe. F that noise, I’ll be comfortable.
Ours is set at 68 and that is where it stays, year round.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been having at least one fire a day for the past month, with the exception of a few warm days. During the winter I normally burn a half cord a month. So far, I'm well under 1/4 of a cord. The heat has only been on once, when I had an overnight in Maine for work.

I need to re teach my wife how to run the stove this weekend. Its gonna be pretty cold for a few days next week, and I'm going to be away for both of them I think.

BlackwaterFence

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Heat set at 50 and pellet stove to supplement
Cleaned the pellet stove thoroughly yesterday.
Our preferred brand of pellets are not in yet so got a few bags of some others.
Probably should have ordered them in August

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My thermostat stays at 70 and doesn't get touched. When it's hot AC comes on. When it's cold the heat comes on. Doesn't matter what it's like outside, inside my house it's 70.

Top Bottom