Anyone try fasting?

SeanT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
has someone invented a Bourbon Diet?

Ya know, something i can try and stick with?
There has been same debate about clear alcohol being okay (not mixed with anything). That might work for you. A guy I skate with won’t participate in our beer drinking anymore but brings a flask of Titi’s and some seltzer to mix it with.

Overall, I will say that intermittent fasting has helped me shed and keep off 20+ pounds with minimal impact to the rest of my life. I don’t mind skipping breakfast and still eat the same dinner as my family.

NickLeduc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I started a 16/8 fast on Xmas night. I have been doing it for a month now. I am down 25 lbs. The only other adjustment in my diet is I used to drink a monster a day. Replaced that with water. No exercise.

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Restarted IM (16/8) just after the new year - back to a Paleo diet mostly and cut out alcohol :( - but have lost around 12-13 lbs so far. Maybe another 20-25 to go

Have started weightlifting in the morning - anyone have thoughts/experience doing so in a fasted state and not eating until lunch? Mostly concerned about generating muscle vs. losing it. I have read taking BCAA's help, but curious.

lel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did the 'master cleanse' diet. You drink tea made of lemon juice and maple syrup + cayenne pepper 5X / day or some such crap.. it has enough carbohydrates to keep your brain going. I did it for 3 weeks, lost some weight and felt fine throughout the process.
Master Cleanse (Lemonade) Diet: Does It Work for Weight Loss?
I've also done this for 10-days on two occasions. First three days were tough - hunger and dull headache from coffee withdrawals. Last 7 days I felt like I could run a marathon. If you have the self-discipline this is a good way to drop 10+ pounds and kick start a redesign of your eating habits.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Restarted IM (16/8) just after the new year - back to a Paleo diet mostly and cut out alcohol :( - but have lost around 12-13 lbs so far. Maybe another 20-25 to go

Have started weightlifting in the morning - anyone have thoughts/experience doing so in a fasted state and not eating until lunch? Mostly concerned about generating muscle vs. losing it. I have read taking BCAA's help, but curious.
you are fine with lifting in a fasted state. you may experience some "decline" in how much you can lift or sets you can do initially as your body adjusts to burning fat. The biggest issue with gaining muscle is your T levels. After 25 years old T drops dramatically. Your body will not lose muscle. That is literally the LAST thing your body will scavenge. You have excess fat, it will burn that well before it starts attacking muscle. Just make sure you have plenty of recovery - sleep, fluids, electrolytes, give your muscles days off before hitting those parts again. And of course eating a wide variety of foods, especially veggies to help with the micronutrients. We also supplement with iodine (kelp tablets), K2&D3 combo, B12, and fish oil. For electrolytes I use one high in magnesium, because I am low on it. And then we have one that is high in potassium as that's very hard to get enough of every day unless you eat 7-10 cups of greens every day (which is easier than 14 bananas!).

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

I was surprised how strong I was in the gym lifting before ending the fast. Try it.

Lsgun1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
i haven't read this whole thread since I haven't fasted but have you guys watched Dr Eric Berg on YouTube? He can give good fasting advice If needed.

SeanT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Can’t speak directly to lifting as my body just doesn’t want to in the AM. I have run faster though and feel great doing it. I know it’s a different type of activity, so am not sure how helpful my observation is.

TheGreekFreak

NES Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0

Unless you're doing some strenuous powerlifting program, you should be fine. If you're going heavier on a given day, maybe start your feeding window right before you hit the gym?

I personally wouldn't lift heavy at the end of a fasting period but I would 100% do more cardio or volume intensive activities. I move so much better and think clearer in that fasting period.

Currently messing around with a 18/6 for the hell of it and its reminding me of what a burden eating is lol

mikelawtown

NES Member
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Been doing IF for 2 weeks now 18-6 and I'm down from 256lbs to 240 so far. I can tell my body is happier not eating junk foods like I would before, especially the candy. Also been keeping my carbs to about 50/day the best I can. Hoping to get down to 210 eventually.
Awesome
I’m looking to box but want to lose 15 lbs 1st
I’m 196 and want to be 180
What are u eating during meals?

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Eat before you lift. One egg, and some oatmeal mixed with protein powder. Go lift, then come home and eat 2 more eggs.

I used to never eat before lifting. I go to the gym in the morning. Then, I decided to get a personal trainer for 12 sessions, he told me to start eating. It made a big difference, I feel a lot better now.

Before. My last meal was around 8pm, then I would wake up and go to the gym at 7am. So, 11 hours without eating. I felt fine, but now that I eat, I feel better.

If you still dont want to eat, try switching to cardio in the morning, lifting at night.

I know, 2 times per day sounds like a lot, but after a few days you get totally addicted. The morning run clears your mind and you go to work happy. The afternoon lift clears your mind again from all the BS at work.

Last edited:

84ta406

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Awesome
I’m looking to box but want to lose 15 lbs 1st
I’m 196 and want to be 180
What are u eating during meals?
I've been doing some fruits and veggies, lots of chicken and beef, nothing crazy really. Just watching what I eat for the most part. The part that helps me the most is I have sleep issues so fasting starting at 8pm has cut out my snacking and such. I also loved gummy candy and I haven't touched any in weeks. For the most part my gf and I have been doing some meal planning for dinners and just sticking to it. As long as I don't do bread and watch the pasta I can keep the carbs down. Check out the newish Oikos Pro Fuel shakes, I found them at Walmart, a bit more Sugar that I'd like but it's low in fat and calories, but has 25g of Protein and 100mg of caffeine which helps act as a stimulant for weight loss as well. During the day I drink water or Hint infused water, sometimes black coffee or green tea.

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Last July I set my alarm 15 minutes earlier than usual, I started making breakfast every day for myself(always got DD's before this or whatever). I also only drink seltzer water all day. I have lost 32 lbs., I went from 242 to 210. It has been a slow loss(1-2 lbs a week) but it feels more sustainable than any other time I have lost weight in my life.

The best part is, I did NOT start exercising. Maybe 20 or so pushups & situps a week, but nothing I would call exercise. Other than breakfast, I pretty much eat like I always have, chick-fila here or there, ice cream etc.. I still want to lose 20-25 more so I started IF to speed up losing these last lbs.

That's why in Rockriver's insulin thread I said it just takes doing something different tomorrow than you did today. Mine started with bacon & eggs and now I feel great.

Paul455

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many times a week do eat out?

That makes a huge difference in your diet and health.

You tend to eat more and take in more bad stuff.

Cook the food yourself - you know what goes in it.

BrianWilson

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After a couple weeks I've really noticed that I'm not at all that hungry during the fast, but have a strong desire to eat for the pleasure it gives me.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not at all that hungry during the fast, but have a strong desire to eat for the pleasure it gives me.
Those feelings are critical to a diet. Being hungry vs just wanting to experience the pleasure. Fortunately, I eat when hungry. When I work hard or exercise my food and calorie intake goes up exponentially. When I am kicking back and relaxing, I eat one small meal a day.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just had to make my daughter pancakes. Might have been harder than fasting while buying two dozen incredible donuts for a customer.

84ta406

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I've put on some weight in the past year, between my divorce and dealing with some depression the pounds have been packing on. As of right now I'm at my heaviest, 255.9lbs. I'm going to be doing a 18-6 fast which realistically isn't that bad for me when I think about it. I don't feel the need to "bulk up" like some of my friends do, I'm happy with my physique when I don't have the extra pounds hanging on. Hoping to get down to 210lbs. For me I think the key will be what I eat during those eating hours.
Wanted to update this as it's been pretty much two months. I'm down to 214.7lbs now. The fasting definitely works and helps! I haven't felt this good in a long time. Figured I would lower my goal down to 200lbs now, always need some sort of goal!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Wanted to update this as it's been pretty much two months. I'm down to 214.7lbs now. The fasting definitely works and helps! I haven't felt this good in a long time. Figured I would lower my goal down to 200lbs now, always need some sort of goal!
Any exercises ?

84ta406

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Any exercises ?
No not really. I do a shit ton of walking 8-10mi a day around the plant at work but that's about it. For me it's been huge cutting out sugars and watching carbs. I loved candy but now I don't eat any aside from a Lindt truffle here and there. I wanted to lose the bulk of my weight through dieting before starting exercise. I'm a pretty bulky guy but my goal has been to get in shape(other than round) and be healthy for but not gym rat fit.

Top Bottom