Anyone try fasting?

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
So I ate drank and merried for a while and gained back a few pounds. But started fasting again Sunday and find it’s even easier this time of year. And your activity level is higher.

Down 22 lbs from beginning of year and 20 from when I started fasting. This go-round I’m aiming for a 10 lb loss, more if it goes well. I’m 25 lbs from what I graduated HS, my eventual goal.

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I’ve been meaning to post also. Have been maintaining my every other day fasting. Still right at 203 and rode the MS150 last weekend. Now will resume weight training and less cycling.

SeanT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just found this thread. I started doing intermittent fasting in May and have been pretty pleased overall. Most days I can start eating at noon and am done at 8pm, unless I have a game (hockey or baseball), which means I might extend outside of the window. I’m pretty tall and started at 226, came in at 202 tonight so am seeing results. Hit a bit of a plateau at 205 which I could probably speed through by changing what I eat but I like unhealthy food too much.

My favorite part is the minimal impact to my family. I don’t eat breakfast with them, which they haven’t even noticed, but otherwise partake in the rest of our meals, no special foods or requests or “I can’t eat THAT”.

snax

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
It works.
Too much details to type, but helped me lose a ton. I've kept it off. Easy to stick with. You can get off the rails a few days and go back easy and be fine.
Save $$ too!
I don't eat 15-18 hrs a day, 7 days. Not hungry, and more energy. Didn't know I had it in me. I wasn't huge, but a disgusting over eater. Felt tired and like shit all the time.
My blood pressure is way down, and I don't breathe as heavy.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm still fasting, i started in January. I fast starting Sunday night from 5:30pm - Friday afternoon. I don't eat from 5:30PM-11:30AM so i essentially do (5) - 18 hr fasts a week. The weekends all bets are off.

goodzilla

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Update here... I lost 80lbs in the first year (started July 2nd, 2018), just short of hitting the 85lb mark at the moment. I figure I'll re-evaluate intake and building muscle after about ~20lbs more. Continues to be the easiest thing I've ever done. That's with not modifying my diet, basically just eating what the family eats, maybe a little less carbs overall, but mainly just making decisions on quantity and when I eat. I'm sure I could have lost more if I carefully crafted my diet, or did keto, but I like what I settled on.

Only working out 1-2 times/week at lunch. I also typically do OMAD 2-3 times a week with dinner as the one meal. It depends on how I feel that day and how much I ate the day before. I do find that the OMAD keeps the body guessing. My first food today was a scoop of ice cream with all the fixin's at about 3:30pm at an office party.

I've inspired several people around me to take it up after seeing my results, yet it seems most people give it up after a couple/few weeks....which is extremely perplexing to me. I didn't fancy myself as someone with overwhelming willpower.

I haven't done a 2 day fast yet, but I've been thinking a lot about it.

SeanT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I agree that it’s very easy to implement and stick with. It feels like the biggest hurdle is mental as we’ve always been conditioned to eat breakfast or a bunch of small meals throughout the day. Once I started thinking in terms of “am I actually hungry or is my brain just thinking I should eat” it became much easier. There are days where I’ll just do one meal a day because I’m into my eating window but distracted by other stuff.

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bumping; I'm on day eight so far since deciding to try IF, haven't cheated once. It's been easier than I expected. I'm doing 16:8 nominally, although I don't tend to eat during the whole period and in practice it's been closer to 18:6.

I'm fairly active but would like to drop some weight. I was in the 140s in college and while I don't feel the need to go that low, 165 I think would be a good spot for me. I do feel less bloated so far just better overall despite the short sample size.

My current window is 1:30-9:30. I chose it because I used to have lunch at 2:15 but with the fasting, at 1:30 I'm ready to eat. The 9:30 ending time gives me a chance to have a little something on the nights I get home from working out (around 9:15) - if I feel like it. Otherwise, lunch at 1:30 and dinner either 6:00 or 7:00 depending on schedule.

It's been good to be motivated and my ability to resist snacks has been greater than I expected.
Nice to see so many folks here having good results.

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I am back as well for about a month of IF - I let it fall off during the spring/summer

I eat between 12-8 give or take and definitely feel better skipping breakfast in general - i find that lowering the carbs I eat during the eating period accelerates the weight loss. Having alcohol kills any weight loss for me it seems, so I need to cut back and probably eliminate it as I am not drinking that much overall anyways

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I age, following a regular low-carb diet becomes less effective. I'm 67, now, and wanted to lose 20-30 pounds. I was very strict, too, no cheating. I discovered intermittent fasting and, in the last 3 weeks, have slowly lost 11 pounds without a hitch. I was a big (low carb) breakfast eater but now just skip breakfast. I have two cups of coffee with some heavy cream to slightly take the edge off of black. I stop eating at 8pm and resume the next day at noon. Sometimes I push it to 1pm. It's normal for me, now. Also, I have to watch my blood sugar. I also take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, with the Mother (it's opaque, not clear). I take two before each meal and two at bed time. My morning blood sugar has come down about 15% which is wonderful. During the morning my blood sugar is near normal. As lunch approaches I do get hungry and once again adhere to a good low carb diet. It's not a diet, either. It's just a new way of eating. I used to thing strongly that breakfast was a critical meal but not for the life style we lead. If I were a farmer or cowboy maybe I'd reconsider but I'm not as physically active as them so I can skip it. I'm well on my way to my initial goal and will be there in another two months. It does work but it takes some initial discipline once you're in the routine it's easy to stick to.

PS Go to YouTube and find some legitimate videos that explain in detail how this all works. I like Dr. Becky Gillaspy. search for her vlog.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I started doing IF about 9 days ago. If I'm on the road at lunch, I'll have a protein bar. Then when I get home I'll make a small sandwich with a snack of some sort. Then a very light dinner. Could be peanut butter on toast some days. I had plateaued in my dieting before this, and lost 10lbs in my first week. I drank bourbon like it was my job for a few of those days with my dad here too. I'm doing 18:6 and starting at noon usually.

My wife really wanted chinese Sat night, and I felt like garbage after, so I went 24 hours before eating again, but that didnt work because I ended up binging on snacks because I was so damn hungry.

Last edited:

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree that it’s very easy to implement and stick with. It feels like the biggest hurdle is mental as we’ve always been conditioned to eat breakfast or a bunch of small meals throughout the day. Once I started thinking in terms of “am I actually hungry or is my brain just thinking I should eat” it became much easier. There are days where I’ll just do one meal a day because I’m into my eating window but distracted by other stuff.
Yeah, I've been doing OMAD since April. I've lost 35 lbs since the beginning of the year. Losing about 2 lbs per month now with no pain, can do this forever.

The three meals a day food paradigm evolved for people who do hard physical work, a dwindling demographic for more than 100 years now.

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day"
is a big fat lie. Some of the healthiest people in the world, Southern Europeans, start the day with a cup of black coffee and a cigarette. I have a lot more energy during the day since I stopped eating breakfast and lunch.

They also call OMAD the Warrior Diet. Kinda cool, urma warrior now.

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Nice to see people posting here. I’m still enjoying the IF 8 months later. Keeping the wait off and enjoying the energy and mental clarity boosts. Will never stop eating this way.

NES Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
My ammo count has not gone down for quite a while, I consider that fasting for my firearms.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
On another extended fast after gaining some weight back from an injury and surgery. Went seven days on lemon water and black coffee only, then had two days eating about 600 calories, now back on it. Feeling great and already leaner. Despite being in ketosis mode, played better hockey than I have in a while: already quicker and faster though a little less endurance.

Dr. Jason Fung is a popular speaker and and wrote the first paper referenced in this thread. Here’s a graphic that shows the benefits. I find “water fasting” to be much more effective than various “intermittent fasting” regimes, and this shows some of advantages. Not sure how much of this happens if you are eating a diet that’s closer to “normal.”

F0634682-6DAE-4BAC-B0F0-70CAB3BDCCF0.jpeg

Last year was in a competition (which I won, 21 lbs in 30 days). This year I’m conducting my own “Ranger challenge.” At Ranger School I lost 37 lbs in 52 days, which was expected as I carried as much weight as I could into the class and still complete the timed runs.

So I’m aiming for that again, the difference being that I started from 260 this time.....If I don’t feel good I’ll just lay off for a while: expect this will be a series of 5-6 day days, not one long one. It seems the guidance is not to go more than two weeks at a time without medical checkups, but all my health indicators like energy, mood, blood pressure etc are all getting better, not worse.

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I worked the 3-11 shift for over 15 years. I'd eat in the morning right after the gym, usually around 9:00 am and then I'd eat at work around 9:00 pm.
The trick was going right to bed when I got home around midnight. If I stayed up for even a half hour or so the munchies would kick in.
On my days off I'd eat 3 meals but never anything after supper. I'm convinced that having an empty stomach for 12 hours is the easiest way to keep weight off. That and working up a sweat everyday. Running, boxing, hiking, basketball. ..whatever you're into. You just have to get those workouts in.

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Meant to post here on 1/15 as I completed 1 year of various fasting types. Intermittent 16/8 fasting on most days now and it’s still working great for me. Maintaining my ideal weight with more energy and all the other benefits.

84ta406

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I've put on some weight in the past year, between my divorce and dealing with some depression the pounds have been packing on. As of right now I'm at my heaviest, 255.9lbs. I'm going to be doing a 18-6 fast which realistically isn't that bad for me when I think about it. I don't feel the need to "bulk up" like some of my friends do, I'm happy with my physique when I don't have the extra pounds hanging on. Hoping to get down to 210lbs. For me I think the key will be what I eat during those eating hours.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I got older, (65+) following a simple low-carb diet (eating plan) became less and less effective. I didn't gain weight much but I could not lose enough to warrant the effort it took. So, I discovered the 'intermittent fasting' option. I was always a big-breakfast supporter so this was quite a leap for me. However, after three months of 16/8 fasting I've lost just shy or 20 pounds or a little over 1.6 pounds a week. That's slow but it has not come back and I continue to lose. It's been really easy. I do drink my two cups of coffee with heavy cream every morning and I also use Splenda and also Monk Fruit sweetener. I closely watch my glucose intake and have been able to easily maintain a 5.5-6.2 A1C. Men seem to be able to handle 16/8 better than women if my wife is an example. She can go 14-15 hours but that's it. It depends on how busy we are in the morning to forget about having to eat a breakfast. We're selling our home and he mom is on Hospice so there's plenty of distraction.

I would say that in all my attempts to corral my weight as I have passed my 65th birthday, fasting is the best thing I've used. I don't even have to follow it 7 days a week. On weekends I will break my fast at 14 hours sometimes. I rarely eat after 8pm and resume at noon the next day. Easy as pie.

TheGreekFreak

NES Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I fast every once in a while but not to lose weight, just to curb my dependence on the 3 meals a day schedule. I can get into a rhythm where I can do just one normal sized meal a day and feel amazing. My energy levels remain stable and my brain starts working better after a few days.

It's crazy how completely unnecessary it is to eat as many times a day as most people do. I'm super active too and can just throw in a few extra carbs as needed if I feel like I'm out of gas. If anything, dropping weight is the reason I eventually start adding meals back in. I hate being even lighter than I am now.

I see people at work talk about certain diets like "I'm gonna do X diet to lose X amount of pounds this year!" and all have either failed or put the weight back on in no time. No "diet plan" mentality works as it is an inherently short sighted view of what needs to be done. Only dumping shitty foods and viewing a new plan as a permanent lifestyle change works long term. This is one good way to get there, just requires a little discipline for the first few days.

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I've put on some weight in the past year, between my divorce and dealing with some depression the pounds have been packing on. As of right now I'm at my heaviest, 255.9lbs. I'm going to be doing a 18-6 fast which realistically isn't that bad for me when I think about it. I don't feel the need to "bulk up" like some of my friends do, I'm happy with my physique when I don't have the extra pounds hanging on. Hoping to get down to 210lbs. For me I think the key will be what I eat during those eating hours.
just stick with and don’t punish yourself for slips. They really don’t affect your results.

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm on 16/8 (17/7 realistically) pretty much all the time. The weekends I like breakfast so it's not a full time gig. On that schedule if you skip a day it adds 24 hours to your 16 hour fast, for a 40 hour fast. I've done that a few times and found it easier than I expected. Water with a little apple cider vinegar in it works surprisingly well to curb the appetite when it sneaks up on you. It's crazy how much energy you can have when you don't eat. Who knew?

I don't know if this has any affect on my weight; I'm still about 25 lbs over where I want to be and have been for quite some time. But I like the freedom of not eating the entire waking day like I used to.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
has someone invented a Bourbon Diet?

Ya know, something i can try and stick with?

Top Bottom