Anyone try fasting?

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
When my grandfather was in the army in WWII, he was stationed in Samoa or somewhere. They were working building a dock or something with the natives. At noon, the GI's would knock off for lunch. The natives thought this was stupid. "Why are you eating now? Why not just eat when you are hungry?"

American Indian tribes - especially out West, practiced fasting as a matter of survival. Don't eat for 3 days. Find some game. GROSSLY over-eat said game. Repeat. Basically, if you had food in front of you, EAT. Because at some point very soon, you'd have no food in front of you.

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I actually was fasting from Sunday night at 8 PM until about noon on Monday. I broke my fast when the nurse in the post-op recovery room gave me some water and a couple Graham crackers. I’m not sure about any weight loss but I can tell you that my left knee hurts like hell.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually was fasting from Sunday night at 8 PM until about noon on Monday. I broke my fast when the nurse in the post-op recovery room gave me some water and a couple Graham crackers. I’m not sure about any weight loss but I can tell you that my left knee hurts like hell.
Same with me although my left shoulder hurts like hell.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have done alot of intermittent fasting. My friends and I have lost 500lbs doing IF and keto. IF works so well for me I can almost eat anything if I don't eat for 18hrs, and that means nothing. Water only. If you are obese it's even bigger because you've got hormonal problems that take so long to reset that the average fat guy like me can't stay on a standard white meat chicken and lettuce diet long enough to fix. IF speeds this up. Hgh, test, etc are all boosted from fasting and autophagy. It's your body saying hey stupid, go kill something and eat it.
One friend was nearly dead with glucose level of 500 and A1C in the high dose of metformin range. In 8 months he lost 100lbs and got his A1C down to 5.1 doing 18 hr IF and keto. He's never felt better.
Another friend lost 140lbs. He hasn't been this skinny since grade school and he is still pretty fat. He did omad, one meal a day, for awhile, then 18/6 IF with keto, and now just keto and doesn't eat if he's not hungry.
I'm down 43 from my high, and still sailing.
Another friend lost 80, and has capped out so he has to turn his dirty keto into the real keto which is basically Atkins where you flip the fat and protein. His keto is eating like a barbarian size portions (2 large steak bombs portion without bread) and far too much bad fat. And he still lost 80. Now he's ramping up the fasting, cutting some bad fat out, and reducing portions while keeping good fat high.

Some can deal with a little black coffee on IF and some can deal with tea and not reset, some can't.

goslow

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fasted all day Wednesday. Felt great. 20 minutes after I got home after Thursday's colonoscopy, I had marinated steak tips/baked potatoes cooking on the BBQ.

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I was in a sales meeting all of last week, so took the opportunity to increase the fast (from my normal IF) to eating just a low-carb dinner with nothing else in-between (except some coffee and water) - was much easier than I thought -about four days in total, although the fourth day was much harder then the others.

Lost maybe 5-7 pounds with that fast - got lazy this last year and put on 10-15 pounds. Hoping to get my 6'4" frame back to ~200-205

Horrible

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Intermittent fasting is supposed to be the latest greatest thing for losing weight. Not eating between before 11am or after 6pm or something.
Have heard the same thing. My daughters softball coach did this and lost a crap ton of weight

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Wow! That is almost a pound a day!

3 days fasting per week or three days total over two weeks?
Three days of nothing but water. The first week I lost about 9 and the second 3-4.

The other days varied: some days I’ve had up to 2500 calories, others 100-500. I’m logging it in the FatSecret app. Completely eliminated dairy, sauces, coffee except for a little decaf, any processed foods. Mostly easting steak, eggs, fish, sweet potatoes, and tomatos.

Some of that loss could just be emptying out my system, the next week or so will really tell the tale.

Nfdbrian

NES Member
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
My wife and I have been doing the low carb thing now for 3 weeks. I have lost around 15lbs so far. I am not a big fan of the Keto diet as it can have other adverse affects on you, and with me being having type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and Gout I didn't think it would be the best for me. So we modified it a bit and just went no carbs to low good carbs. I have some zucchini chips in the oven as we speak getting ready for tomorrows game to go with my buffalo chicken dip. It takes 30 days to break a habit, and it hasn't been bad so far. Lots of good recipes out there, especially using cauliflower!

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
When my grandfather was in the army in WWII, he was stationed in Samoa or somewhere. They were working building a dock or something with the natives. At noon, the GI's would knock off for lunch. The natives thought this was stupid. "Why are you eating now? Why not just eat when you are hungry?"

American Indian tribes - especially out West, practiced fasting as a matter of survival. Don't eat for 3 days. Find some game. GROSSLY over-eat said game. Repeat. Basically, if you had food in front of you, EAT. Because at some point very soon, you'd have no food in front of you.
Exactly what I was getting at earlier. Americans mostly eat according to a schedule, not due to ACTUAL HUNGER. And the problem is that now, food is always available for pretty much everyone in the US. (yes, I realize there are people who go without meals not due to choice)

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My wife and I have been doing the low carb thing now for 3 weeks. I have lost around 15lbs so far. I am not a big fan of the Keto diet as it can have other adverse affects on you, and with me being having type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and Gout I didn't think it would be the best for me. So we modified it a bit and just went no carbs to low good carbs. I have some zucchini chips in the oven as we speak getting ready for tomorrows game to go with my buffalo chicken dip. It takes 30 days to break a habit, and it hasn't been bad so far. Lots of good recipes out there, especially using cauliflower!
Keto is NOT NO CARB. It is Low carb. (I don't follow keto but I am low carb).

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I fasted all day Wednesday. Felt great. 20 minutes after I got home after Thursday's colonoscopy, I had marinated steak tips/baked potatoes cooking on the BBQ.
Had my Handicam on Friday. I was a bit hungry once on Thursday night. That was it. I wasn’t hungry at all on Friday but that could be from going to the loo about 800 times.

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Wow, i think this is worth a try.

I'm 226.5 pounds today and began my 13 hour circadian fasting this am. I'd like to level off at around 205.

Let's see.
OK, so one week in and here are my thoughts.

Found a nice free app called Zero to keep track. Having that timer running and the ability to track and save does help. I never start the fast at the same time so it tells me when 13 hours are up.

I start the fast after dinner, or maybe after the wine or beer after dinner...usually between 6 and 7. I've fasted for 13 hours every day except Sunday night to Monday and that was 12. I feel great in the morning, I feel less hunger before meals. I have more energy. I have not changed my diet, it's not great but i eat fairly healthy. I've lost 5.5 pounds. 221 this morning. I'm going to continue.

NewGuyRay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This is not a dieting thread. Looking to hear from people who have tried fasting.

My hockey group started a weight loss competition, perfect timing for me as I always try to get my weight down by April for playoffs. Usually drop 10-15 lbs but aiming for 20-25 this year.

Started the usual reduced-calorie Paleo routine that has worked for me in the past. “Keto” diets popped up and then I found this article touting the benefits of fasting: The difference between calorie restriction and fasting - Fasting 27 - Intensive Dietary Management (IDM)

The most compelling part of the argument was simply that short-term reduced-calorie diets almost never work. Like 99.5% failure rate after a few months. So what’s to lose?

I wasn’t feeling hungry after dinner Wednesday night so I decided to go for a day. Still felt great so went a second day today. Right now planning to stop tomorrow (three days) as I have league games Sunday and Tuesday, but may keep going.

Anyone else try this? So far it’s been pretty easy. Any side effects and I’ll stop but right now I feel great!
The one suggestion I would make is that you google for "fasting rapid weight loss gallstones". I don't think there is a hard and fast rule as to how much weight loss is required or how long of a fast will do the damage, however, there is plenty of science to show it is possible to fry your gallbladder. The rapid weight loss causes your liver to secrete excess amounts of cholesterol and dump it in your gallbladder. With no digestion taking place, your gallbladder doesn't empty. This causes the cholesterol concentration to increase in the bile in your gallbladder. The end result can be gallstones and eventual gallbladder removal.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm keto and lost like 70lbs....kind of fell off the wagon over holidays but back into it now. I do add a day of fasting once in a while. Going through a whole day not eating isn't easy though, but there are supposedly a lot of benefits.

Working out on keto can be tough with no carbs to fuel your workout and you can bet your ass it's a lot harder when you haven't eaten at all.

I suppose I technically do the "intermittent fast" too as I'm usually done with dinner around 7pm and don't eat again until lunch the next day at 1230ish. I don't do it as a rule though, as I'm not really interested in a clock completely dictating when I can eat...that's tough with a hectic work schedule, and I'm not convinced that listening to a clock is any better than listening to your body.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Absolutely, try fasting and drinking coffee, caffeine being a natural diuretic, you know the rest :)
I didn't lose two gallons of water. I play hockey five days a week, if I was dehydrated I'd know it.

I pretty much stopped drinking coffee except a little decaf. Mostly I drink hot water with a little lemon juice. Think I'm down about 15 lbs, I'm not weighing myself too often but so far so good. I feel good and for whatever reason I'm sleeping better.

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
As long as you drink your coffee black and don’t drink it at night (when it might impact sleep), why would coffee impact weight? Black coffee had 2 calories.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I didn't lose two gallons of water. I play hockey five days a week, if I was dehydrated I'd know it.

I pretty much stopped drinking coffee except a little decaf. Mostly I drink hot water with a little lemon juice. Think I'm down about 15 lbs, I'm not weighing myself too often but so far so good. I feel good and for whatever reason I'm sleeping better.

If you can tolerate it, try a shot of Apple Cider Vinegar daily, the pounds will fall off you...Just dilute it in water otherwise it may close up your throat strait up...

Congratulations on your life style change as well...

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
As long as you drink your coffee black and don’t drink it at night (when it might impact sleep), why would coffee impact weight? Black coffee had 2 calories.
I cut down on it because it's a dieretic and I didn't want to be dehydrated playing hockey.

I play every day of the week except Saturday, sometimes early morning, so water seemed like a better idea.

Top Bottom