1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone try fasting?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by garandman, Jan 11, 2019.

1. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

This is not a dieting thread. Looking to hear from people who have tried fasting.

My hockey group started a weight loss competition, perfect timing for me as I always try to get my weight down by April for playoffs. Usually drop 10-15 lbs but aiming for 20-25 this year.

Started the usual reduced-calorie Paleo routine that has worked for me in the past. “Keto” diets popped up and then I found this article touting the benefits of fasting: The difference between calorie restriction and fasting - Fasting 27 - Intensive Dietary Management (IDM)

The most compelling part of the argument was simply that short-term reduced-calorie diets almost never work. Like 99.5% failure rate after a few months. So what’s to lose?

I wasn’t feeling hungry after dinner Wednesday night so I decided to go for a day. Still felt great so went a second day today. Right now planning to stop tomorrow (three days) as I have league games Sunday and Tuesday, but may keep going.

Anyone else try this? So far it’s been pretty easy. Any side effects and I’ll stop but right now I feel great!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

2. Cowgirlup

Cowgirlup NES Member

I used to do it when I was single just for health benefits. I would o a day maybe 2 and then start eating light. I always felt like I had more energy after. I've never tried it for weight loss.

wahsben and buckfarack like this.
  3. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

Intermittent fasting is supposed to be the latest greatest thing for losing weight. Not eating between before 11am or after 6pm or something.

Horrible, Choctaw and wahsben like this.
  4. Brin747

Brin747 NES Member

Honestly, just not eating sounds like a good way to lose muscle... If you want to cut fat, caloric deficit while eating sufficient protein to maintain muscle mass...

5. Stryker

Stryker NES Member

I do intermittent fasting (basically skipping breakfast) eating between 12pm - 7pm. Keeps the weight off and I generally feel better overall.

Roadglide and wahsben like this.
  6. Jaykeane

Jaykeane NES Member

I did the 'master cleanse' diet. You drink tea made of lemon juice and maple syrup + cayenne pepper 5X / day or some such crap.. it has enough carbohydrates to keep your brain going. I did it for 3 weeks, lost some weight and felt fine throughout the process.
    Master Cleanse (Lemonade) Diet: Does It Work for Weight Loss?

7. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Intermittent feasting?
    THAT I could do

looser38, minininjer, M1911 and 5 others like this.
  8. garandman

The article quoted above, and others, suggest there is more muscle loss from reducing calories from fasting. That is why I posted it. What did you find wrong with the research?

BTW this is not currently a partial fast, I’ve eaten nothing, just drink water and take the same vitamins I was taking.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

Not seeing an article there, just a request to sign up for an intro. Can you paste it here?

10. Sweeney

Sweeney NES Member

I fast between meals and snacks.

minininjer, ridleyman, mibro and 5 others like this.
  11. garandman

slap shot likes this.
  12. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

People complicate it so much ... make it simple:

1. Eat less.
    2. Stop eating carbs and cut sugar consumption.
    If you use two spoons of sugar for coffee, start using one and use less cream.
    3. Protein. Get a lot of protein.
    4. Go to the gym.

Really that's all you need. No need to go around shopping for special foods, starving yourself, counting calories...

Eat fruit when you want a snack.

A couple of hardboiled eggs in the morning will fill you up.

SeanT, minininjer, boatman and 10 others like this.
  13. 45BPCR

45BPCR NES Member

There's a huge amount of different diets one can use to loose weight.

I've perfected the absolutely perfect, "Frozen Pizza Diet" and let me tell you, it's a 0 calorie diet and it works!

Here's how to use it.

Pick up one, or even two of your favorite frozen pizzas.
    (hint) DiGiorno's bacon and cheese stuffed crust is one of the better choices.

Then doctor it up.
    Add cheese and more bacon or whatever floats your boat.
    Use alot of salt, garlic and crushed red peppers.

Pre heat oven about 50° higher then it says on the box.
    Using a pizza pan is mandatory.
    Aluminum foil should be considered.

While the oven is warming up, pour a good sized glass of Scotch.
    Find a good movie on your favorite service and start watching it.
    When the oven is ready put the pizza on the middle rack.

After an hour or so, your government approved smoke detector will wake you up.
    Your carefully prepared pizza should look like an oversized, flattened hockey puck.
    Flailing about with a towel or shirt to clear the smoke provides calorie burning exercise.

Remove the pizza from the oven and dispose.
    Scrape pizza pan with gasket scraper (more exercise)
    You've now consumed ZERO calories and burned a few in the process.
    It's also heartburn free.

Hope this helps.

C

14. garandman

So, the answer to the question, “Have you tried fasting?” Is no? Because this isn’t a dieting thread, it’s about fasting.....

wilson911 likes this.
  15. mannydog

mannydog NES Member

Strange to me that this is posted today because I am fasting today. I do it once or twice a year when I find myself slipping a bit. I'm not overweight, eat well, and get plenty of exercise. I don't make a big deal about it but a day without eating makes me a little bit more aware of what I consume and it makes me feel better. Simple as that. Mostly water and beef broth for me when I do it. I really don't care what the experts say but vodka and tonic is a clear liquid and I have a tall one in front of me right now.

16. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

116 posts in 10 years.
    He really doesn't say much, but when he does, it's pretty epic.

SeanT, looser38, minininjer and 2 others like this.
  17. kope

kope NES Member

Jan 1 -7 , no solids, just liquids. I would have gone longer had it not been for getting a cold a couple days after starting. I'll do it again when im feeling better.

garandman likes this.
  18. ccm75

ccm75 NES Member

No fasting, but I have not had any alcohol since 1/1.
    Been awhile since I've gone that long...My wife told me she thought I was drinking too much and now she hasn't even noticed my abstinence or at least she hasn't commented to date...[thinking] And eating almost no carbs, tons of veggies, fruit and protein and working out almost everyday. [cheers]

crazymjb and PaulR like this.
  19. TLB

TLB

Beat me to it. Seriously, I think it could help with portion control. Shrink your stomach and then eat smaller meals.

20. Knicks

Knicks NES Member

I do a 18:6 fast typically starting with lunch at noon and shutting it down by 6PM. If im hungry anytime within the 18 hours of fasting ill have a black coffee. My energy levels are fine, I dont have cravings or side effects. I do IF (intermittent fasting) with keto and cardio 5 days a week. It works for me. My coworker started IF NOV 2018 and is down 15lbs. Good luck

Roadglide and garandman like this.
  21. Climbnsink

Climbnsink

I've been fasting for years. About half the week I eat one meal a day. Do 2-3 day fasts once or twice a month. Longest fast was 14 days on water, bone broth and coffee(since quit coffee.) Done a week a couple of times. Fasting is muscle sparing, and easier than eating at a deficit. Full fasting is easier from a willpower standpoint than any of the low calorie fasting mimicking schemes, easier also cause there is no screwing about. Plus better for you, no risk of muscle wasting. Recently started doing 60 hour dry fasts which are easier than water fasting. Advice would be real fasting is easier and better than the gimmicky simulate with limited food fasting. Dry fasting is not for rookies but is easier than water fasting. And if you are going to do a water fast longer than 3 days add baking soda and potassium chloride to the water or drink bone broth. Otherwise all the water flushes minereals and you will feel like crap. Best info is Dr Jason Fung's book on fasting and I like the Snake Diet guy and agree with him on most things but he is a bit off his rocker, in a good way. You can find him on youtube.

garandman likes this.
  22. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

You spelled feasting wrong

23. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

Might as well be fasting... I haven't had one of these in two weeks.....

nutty-buddy-300x215.jpg

garandman and 2-old-4-this like this.
  24. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

When the roach coach used to come to work I identified those things as easily in the top 10 worst item for someone to eat on the truck... [rofl]

Even the illegal chocolate milk with full fat etc didn't hold a candle to those things.

JayMcB likes this.
  25. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

Worse than blow. The Old Ball and Chain thinks she is doing me a favor bringing home the "value" pack of those things. I wake up the next day surrounded by an empty box and all the wrappers.
    lost weekend.jpg

26. Cowgirlup

Cowgirlup NES Member

It cracks me up that someone considers not eating after their dinner and then sleeping all night before breakfast counts as fasting. Then they make a big deal about it like it's some kind of new thing.

We had a friend that used to do that once or twice a year to drop weight. The last time it destroyed his digestive system.

27. Greg

Greg

Did he dead,like he doesnt have a digestive system anymore ?

28. Cowgirlup

Cowgirlup NES Member

He's not dead. He was a mess for a while and still has to watch what he eats.

29. mibro

mibro NES Member

My BIL recently lost 60 lbs by intermittent fasting.

I do it once in a blue moon but when I need to lose weight I use the "What's For Dinner? Salad" diet.

JNov likes this.
  30. Burgermeister

Burgermeister NES Member

Yes. Been doing the 5-2 fast since mid-September with good success....down 25 pounds. 5 days of normal eating (not cheat days) and 2 days of eating less than 600 calories each day. The days don’t need to be consecutive; I usually fast on Monday and Wednesday but that’s just personal preference.

There’s a great 1 hour BBC documentary that explains it all....60 minutes long but worth it. I tried linking to it below, but it’s on YouTube and called Eat, Fast and Live Longer.

One of the easiest diets I’ve tried....no special drinks, shakes or meals....just stop eating 2 days per week. I find it easy to be restricted on 2 days rather than doing the caloric deficit thing 7 days per week. After the first week, it’s easy to not eat during the day. Working out on fast days has not been a problem either.

I find it sustainable and once you get to goal weight, 5-2 becomes 6-1 for maintenance.

View: https://youtu.be/Ihhj_VSKiTs

garandman likes this.