• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

anyone still worship at the .45 acp alter?

I’ve been using titegroup since I have a few Lbs of it but im wondering if this super fast powder causes more leading? I’m using gallant polymer coated bullets. I’ve since cut back from light to no crimp but still using the crimp die to reshape the flared mouth. This seems to have helped in terms of leading. I think perhaps i was applying too much crimp and it was causing leading? ive made a habit of running a few factory jacketed rounds at end of range session and that’s also helped clear out the rifling a smidge. The barrel is a Tisas 1911 so some of the leading could be the barrel.

so in my case 45 auto had been awesome for the purposes of learning a pistol cartridge. At some point I may get into 10mm.
I know some coated bullet manufacturers (SNS Casting I believe) recommend against the use of Titegroup powder because it burns so hot. I reloaded a ton of TG before switching to N320 and never had leading issues. BUT I was only using plated and jacketed bullets with TG at the time.

Make a few dummy rounds (no powder or primers) and then pull the bullets to see if the coating is being scraped off when you seat the bullets - I had this issue with Acme bullets last year for some weird reason it never happened with other brands of bullets (maybe oversized bullets??). Too much crimp could do it too, if you're cutting through the coating. I only use enough crimp to "close" the flare.

If you've checked all of those things then probably the powder or barrel?

Oh and I still shoot revolvers
i'm a revolver guy. love that click clack sound when you bring the hammer back. i got the kinks taken care of my redhawk 45 colt/.45 acp had when they were first released. shooting that gun, it's actually quite heavy, with .45 acp's is really interesting. no matter how stout the loading it literally (sorry, i hate using that word) resembles shooting a .22. my light .45 acp target loads, i had to check the barrel was clear, i thought i forgot powder. absolutely no felt recoil. i own a ruger blackhawk convertible also but it's not near the fun the double action redhawk is. only drawback is the jump the bullet has to make to start into the barrel on both those revolvers.

i'm a revolver guy. love that click clack sound when you bring the hammer back. i got the kinks taken care of my redhawk 45 colt/.45 acp had when they were first released. shooting that gun, it's actually quite heavy, with .45 acp's is really interesting. no matter how stout the loading it literally (sorry, i hate using that word) resembles shooting a .22. my light .45 acp target loads, i had to check the barrel was clear, i thought i forgot powder. absolutely no felt recoil. i own a ruger blackhawk convertible also but it's not near the fun the double action redhawk is. only drawback is the jump the bullet has to make to start into the barrel on both those revolvers.
Occasionally in the colder months I'll carry a GP100 in .44spl stoked with Underwood 240 grainers.

Full size, Colt 1911 Gold Cup is my Sunday, go to church gun.
Carried in a shoulder holster, with two spare magazines in the holster and a spare in the jacket of my sports coat.
The gun has been given a full reliability service by a good Smith, and a few upgrades. It is an absolute joy to shoot and way more accurate than I am.
Wilson Combat magazines loaded with Speer Gold Dot hollow points, it is the most effective platform I can think of, short of carrying a SBR.

I don't get to church as often as I used to, now that the kids are older, but when I do, I like knowing the Colt is with me. If I can see the target, I know I can hit it. And hit it hard.

Sig 220 45acp is all I’ve been shooting lately since all I got is large pistol primers. When I occasionally shoot a 9mm …..it’s difficult to see the the tiny holes on the target at 25 yards .

yeah I mostly loaded 9mm for funzies. If I ever load 9mm again it would be for 158 or 165 gr subsonics to optimize for the suppressed cz evo carbine. However that’s the type of project I load once and probably never again.

fancybrass sold me a bunch of SPP 45 auto brass and it’s been incredible cost savings to load with small primers. It is annoying though to sort by primer size. I use a pocket gauge because inevitably my eyes will mis-call some and create a headache later.

I’ve been using titegroup since I have a few Lbs of it but im wondering if this super fast powder causes more leading? I’m using gallant polymer coated bullets. I’ve since cut back from light to no crimp but still using the crimp die to reshape the flared mouth. This seems to have helped in terms of leading. I think perhaps i was applying too much crimp and it was causing leading? ive made a habit of running a few factory jacketed rounds at end of range session and that’s also helped clear out the rifling a smidge. The barrel is a Tisas 1911 so some of the leading could be the barrel.

so in my case 45 auto had been awesome for the purposes of learning a pistol cartridge. At some point I may get into 10mm.
I use 45 SPP brass form fancy brass.

The LPP are bug enough telling the difference is not hard, but I keep them separate.

I know some coated bullet manufacturers (SNS Casting I believe) recommend against the use of Titegroup powder because it burns so hot. I reloaded a ton of TG before switching to N320 and never had leading issues. BUT I was only using plated and jacketed bullets with TG at the time.

Make a few dummy rounds (no powder or primers) and then pull the bullets to see if the coating is being scraped off when you seat the bullets - I had this issue with Acme bullets last year for some weird reason it never happened with other brands of bullets (maybe oversized bullets??). Too much crimp could do it too, if you're cutting through the coating. I only use enough crimp to "close" the flare.

If you've checked all of those things then probably the powder or barrel?
I started using tg last spring and I'll attest it does burn hot. Spent cases are charred and I notice the barrel gets hot faster than with other powders.....but it runs good with cast 180 grainers for plate banging and is cheep.

I started using tg last spring and I'll attest it does burn hot. Spent cases are charred and I notice the barrel gets hot faster than with other powders.....but it runs good with cast 180 grainers for plate banging and is cheep.

You have to find the magic # for the charge weight.
Too little and that unused space is where all that heat and soot come from. Too much and it vomits out of the barrel.
I want to say 4.6 gr for a 230 (plated and coated) was the magic number for me. That was for 4" and 5" barrels and Win l.p.p.
Cut down on smoke and soot, like way less than what Unique would produce, and cut down on barrel temp. Not sure by how much, never put a thermometer to it, but I could run a few mags/ moons as opposed to 1 or 2 previously.
Its a decent economical powder.

I moved to Win 231 about 6 or so years ago and its worked pretty well for what I'm doin. Never tried anything lighter than 230 gr, the old Clays used to be the go-to for 200's and 185's.

thanks guys lots of great reloading advice for me.

@TrashcanDan
funny I also settled on 230 gr round nose over 4.6 gr titegroup. I have some HP-38 (same as W231?) and loaded some but haven’t yet found the optimal load. I was probably a little light charged and not getting good burn from the HP-38.

once I eventually finish up the remaining 2 lbs of titegroup I’m gonna try branching out to other powders.

Last edited:

@TrashcanDan
funny I also settled on 230 gr round nose over 4.6 gr titegroup. I have some HP-38 (same as W231?) and loaded some but haven’t yet found the optimal load. I was probably a little light charged and not getting good burn from the HP-38.

once I eventually finish up the remaining 2 lbs of titegroup I’m gonna try branching out to other powders.
I've tried bullseye, titegroup, cfe pistol and unique for 45acp. By far the best powder imo for 45acp is good old bullseye. 4.6 under a 200 grain swc is the perfect target load.....soft shooting and accurate. You can also beef it up for "fighting loads" with 230 grain projos. The stuff meters accurately as well.

@TrashcanDan

I want to say I'm at 4.3 with 231.
230 gr (plated X-treme) @ 1.230
Win l.p.p.

Still pretty new to this. 6 years of owning guns. My third is a Sig p220 45. First p80 45. Bought a Glock frame to be 460 Rowland. Will use 45 until the 460 reaches me. 357 magnum backup. In auto motive the phrase it no replacement for displacement. Seems to work with firearms too. Working. On How to carry a Glock 21 for ccw

Lol you guys like those fluff loads... shit, when I had 231 for 45 I was up around 5.7, ultimately I moved to Unique because it was easier to get a 230gr
bullet up to the correct velocity. (830-850 fps).

I think the only time I ever made anything under 800 fps with 230s was with WST. WST maxed out made for some great fluff loads I think those went like 780 fps or
something out of my mutt gun.

If you own a six gun that shoots .45 acp, and haven't tried 255's in it, you're really doing yourself a disservice.

the other thing is mouse fart 250/255s out of a SW625 actually DO work really well on pins, which is really the killer app for an overweight 45 bullet.

Lol you guys like those fluff loads... shit, when I had 231 for 45 I was up around 5.7, ultimately I moved to Unique because it was easier to get a 230gr
bullet up to the correct velocity. (830-850 fps).

I think the only time I ever made anything under 800 fps with 230s was with WST. WST maxed out made for some great fluff loads I think those went like 780 fps or
something out of my mutt gun.
I was originally at 5.5/231 under a 230/FMJ but I dropped down to 5gr because it worked with every .45 bullet I use. I. use 5gr/231 under a 200 LSWC in my 625.

I’ve got a couple of .45 ACP’s and a couple of 9mm handguns, full size and compact in each. I like both calibers. I tend to shoot the 9mm handguns more, but that has to do with the cost of ammo. I like to replace whatever I shoot.

I have one sub gun in 9mm. Plan on picking up one in .45 after my current project gun is finished.

Back
Top Bottom